Medical for Driving Licence Renewal

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Tsadaken

Medical for Driving Licence Renewal

Post by Tsadaken »

Any suggestions please.
My wife's Cypriot driving licence is due for renewal and due to her age needs to produce a medical certificate.
We know this is normally available from Paphos General Hospital ( Have eye check by Eye Doctor first and then upstairs for Dr Thelma to sign the form). Unfortunately the Eye Doctor was off sick last week and having just been to the hospital we find that she is still off sick - So went to the appointments office and asked the female receptionist ( the Prima Donna in the glass house ) she said did not know when Eye Doctor was expected back - so my wife said that she needed the form completing to be able to renew her licence and what was she to do now to which the receptionist shrugged her shoulders and flung her arms up in the air ( with a couldn't care less attitude - it is not my problem !!)
Other than going to see a Doctor at one of the private clinics for a medical does anyone know of any other alternative :?:
Tsadaken

Re: Medical for Driving Licence Renewal

Post by Tsadaken »

Flossie - Thanks for the suggestion unfortunately Dr Thelma at the hospital will only accept an eye test from the hospital's eye department.
JimX

Post by JimX »

We went to a private MD (Dr Marla) the cost was not high, then onto the Citizens Advice centre to get a photo and pay for a new licence, done in a few hours.

The medical was a joke to be honest.

On licences does anyone know how long speeding spots (points) stay on your licence?, a year, two or three years?

Thanks.
Jim.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Appreciate you say you don't want to go to a private clinic but we were in a similar position last time the Cypriot licence needed to be renewed ie no optician available at the hospital because she was off sick and no other alternative as licence had to be renewed within a few days. Went to Dr Marangos at Blue Cross Medical Centre and he did the eye test and medical and printed off the required form which was then taken to the Citizens Service Centre to get the driving licence. It cost €30.

Additional comment: the medical examination was very thorough.
Last edited by galexinda on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I too use Dr Mala at http://www.paphosmedical.com/ Just phone for an appointments and take the form with you. Medical notes as well if you have them.
Trev..
Tsadaken

Post by Tsadaken »

Thanks everyone for the replies. Looks like we will have to bite the bullet and go to one of the private medical centres.
Would have liked to think that there was a back-up in the event of sickness or holiday at the General - but hey-ho - we are the ones that live in Cyprus out of choice.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Please don't look upon it as 'Biting the Bullet' It is a much, much easier experience then the one at the General Hospital.. OK, you have to pay for it, but it won't break the bank..
Trev..
memory man

Post by memory man »

Allesley wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:14 pm

On licences does anyone know how long speeding spots (points) stay on your licence?, a year, two or three years?

Thanks.

My points ( for speeding 14 years ago ) are still recorded on my
licence, even though they expired 11 years ago.

I received CYP34 fine + 2 points for 3 years.
memory man

Post by memory man »

When you reach the age of 70 years, you have to have a medical and eye test,
to renew a driving licence.

My question is, how long does the licence last for, and how often would you
require a medical and eye test again.

I believe after the age of 76 drivers will be obliged to submit a health certificate
every year and apply for a renewal of their driving licence.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

At the moment your new Cypriot licence at 70 lasts for 3 years. I applies at 70 with the medical form filled in at the hospital. I applied again at 73 with a medical form filled in by a private doctor. that licence was for 3 years so I will be applying again in August.. Of course the expiry date will be on your licence and I too have heard about the yearly medical after the 76th birthday.. I will know at the end of August if it is law or not ;-)
Trev..
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I think that may well be true now, or in the recent past. But Like MM I have read that they are wanting to change the frequency of medicals to each year after the age of 76. Whether it will happen or not I don't know... But you will only have to look at your 'new' licence to find out.
Trev..
memory man

Post by memory man »

trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

So, every year it is for me from now on :-)
Trev..
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Thanks for the info, I have a 76 licence to get in another couple of Months.
Trev..
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

I renewed mine, aged 76, in January, Medical and Eye test, it was renewed for 3 years. The bad news for you all is that they also renewed all my HGV stuff. Beware 76 year old taking a 40 ft Artic for a spin.
Alastair

Nil illigitimi carborundum
darrow

Post by darrow »

Dr Mala saw a neighbour of ours for said test, he is over 80, but stil! got a 3 year licence. MOH went to the hospital doctor and she was going to refuse him, because he was" the same age as my father and I've stopped him driving". He argued and grudgingly got an extension to year end. Next time it will be Dr Mala! At €6 for eye test and €9 for her, the private Dr is cheaper if you get 3 years!
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

To be honest the cost is of little significance, when thinking of the trouble to get the medical certificate signed at the Hospital
Trev..
memory man

Post by memory man »

How soon before 80 can you apply?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Before 80!!!! as far as I know it will be only in the month before your birth date..
Trev..
memory man

Post by memory man »

OOPS! :oops:

I meant 70