Tv licence

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Mrblobby

Tv licence

Post by Mrblobby »

As suggested a thread of its own .

Paphos Al brought up the subject of TV licence fee for Cyprus tv , it used to be collected by a charge within the leccy bill but was abolished in the late 1990s .

The bbc fee is about £150 a year now , they collect in nearly £4 billion pounds a year .

Last week I watched just one bbc program in the whole week ...Nick Knowles . How about you , do you watch much bbc ?
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Tv licence

Post by Dominic »

No, but when I lived in the UK I would listen to the radio a lot, and do use their website as a news and sports result source.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
JimX

Post by JimX »

There is no TV Licence for Cypriot TV now as it has gone digital many years ago, so you would pay the TV provider, and yes I particularly like BBC TV drama, I pay for a couple of IPTV servers and very happy to do so, we do not all prop up bars ;), so Streaming TV for ex-pats is important I feel, certainly, in our case it is.

I do listen to BBC Radio 6 most mornings, great music.
Jim.
josef k

Post by josef k »

I don't watch live UK TV channels. For example I watched Eurovision on CYBC, watch Graham Norton , also on CYBC. If I want to watch something good that has been shown in the UK, then I have a Raspberry Pi with Kodi. Cut out the middle man.

As my son says, live TV is so yesterday.
JimX

Post by JimX »

Hudswell there is no Cypriot TV licence now, before you arrived here we all paid for it with our electricity bill, certain TV companies complained that they got none of it fee, so the TV fee (licence) was abolished, as posted.

Jo I disagree, live TV is a must if like millions of us you like sport. Local TV is dire I put up with it for a few years, soon as we could we paid for Sky satellite service, long gone now, so most ex-pats use some form of streaming IPTV, either live or catch up of course.

I tried Android free TV, and have to say hated it, happy to pay for the Sky type IPTV services, not free but worth the extra in my humble opinion of course. We are heavy users of the service I pay for.
Jim.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The only thing the length of time anybody has lived in Cyprus is good for is measuring the amount of shame they should feel for not learning the language.

I have nearly two years of shame.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I've moved the last few posts to the Pit. They don't necessarily belong there, but they don't belong here either. Perhaps we need a Junior Pit section? I would feel obliged to call it "Pit The Younger" though, which would be apt as it would probably mostly contain robust political debate.
memory man

Post by memory man »

Dominic wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:17 pm I would feel obliged to call it "Pit The Younger"
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

I think what annoys me most about the UK TV Licence is that a large chunk of it goes to BBC World on satellite all around the globe, EXCEPT here in UK on 28.2ºE - who are paying for it !!!!

Not to mention their website costs, when a large proportion of UK Licence payers don't even have internet...

AL :?
Gone but not forgotten...
WHL

Post by WHL »

Re the Cyprus TV licence, the licence was done away with because, new private TV/Radio stations at the time complained that it was unfair on them, that PIK was getting Government funding.. When I arrived it was added to your electricity bill, what wasnt widely known, was that , you didn't have to pay it, you just went down to the Electricity office and signed a form stating you didnt want them to stop your money for TV licence, my next door neighbour told me about this, and went to the office with me, he asked them to give me the form, and they never stopped any money for the licence, naver paid again.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

What you did not say is that when the licence was abolished, the VAT was pushed up by 0.5 percent to raise the funds for RIK. At the time, I can't remember what the VAT rate was but I think it may have been 8 percent!
WHL

Post by WHL »

Devil wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:20 pm What you did not say is that when the licence was abolished, the VAT was pushed up by 0.5 percent to raise the funds for RIK. At the time, I can't remember what the VAT rate was but I think it may have been 8 percent!
I didn't know that, but trying to remember , didn't VAT and VAt rises have more to do with Cyprus preparing to enter the EU?
RattyPatty

Post by RattyPatty »

HIC, apart from the electricity bill! 19% here 5% on gas and leccy in the UK.
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

alexismar wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:13 pm Does anyone know what is this animal we saw it near Paphos in the sea this june?
No. But it probably has not paid any TV license ;-)
memory man

Post by memory man »

Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

:lol: The spammers are getting very odd.
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Even though some of the quality programmes seem to be fewer and further between now on the BBC, I do not grudge a penny of the TV license in the UK. However, I do object to the new ruling in which over 75s will now have to pay the fee unless they are on certain benefits. 😠

Maggie B
panoscouse

Post by panoscouse »

That's Wilson isn't it?
Ancient History

Post by Ancient History »

Looks like a seal to me....