Abandoned Villages - Souskiou

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Abandoned Villages - Souskiou

Post by Dominic »

It's time to return once more to the Diarizos Valley, which lies on the border of Paphos and Limassol. Before Easter we had been exploring the abandoned villages and sleepy hamlets, and I want to show some more of the pictures we took, before the approaching summer heat makes them unrecognisable. So on this blog we shall visit Souskiou. Easy to miss as you drive up the valley, it is nevertheless one of the largest abandoned villages you will likely meet on your travels in Cyprus.

Read the article and chat about it below...

souskiou_fb.jpg
souskiou_fb.jpg (133.59 KiB) Viewed 2131 times
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgward

Re: Abandoned Villages - Souskiou

Post by Jimgward »

Thanks again Dominic. I find these very interesting. It also shows that prior to 19070's Cypriots did indeed live in poverty, most without toilets, running water or electricity.... I'd imaging much of rural Turkey will still be like this...
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Abandoned Villages - Souskiou

Post by Dominic »

Somebody posted this on the Paphos Life facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/paphoslife/
Between 1963-1969 the Electricity Authority of Cyprus implemented its plan for providing electricity in all villages in the island. The same path was followed be CYTA.
Due to the Turkish threat the employees of the two Authorities were unable to reach the villages. Road construction and upgrading with asphalt was also impossible.
Therefore, when TC moved to the occupied part of the island, it was impossible for GC refugees to settle in these areas due to the complete lack of infrastructures.
In the north part of the island infrastructures were available from the 50s and early 60s because many villages had considerable larger populations, the shape of the land made it easier for the construction of new roads and the areas around the coast were the dominant touristic places.
The Government of Cyprus systematically implemented a policy for the innovation/preservation of a number of TC monuments, under its effective control, after the Turkish invasion.
In contrast, it is very well known how the GC monuments were treated in the occupied by the Turkish army areas.
Just to mention that electricity in my village Simou,Paphos was brought in 1964 and telephone connection in 1965 (one Community telephone unit installed in the village’s center).

And don't forget, we have a facebook chat group too, if you like that sort of thing.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/paphoschat
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.