Wood burner v Pellet burner heaters

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
kansas

Wood burner v Pellet burner heaters

Post by kansas »

Can anyone advise me the comparative benefits of wood burner and pellet burner heaters. I'd like to collect as much information from users before committing to purchase either one.

Many thanks
humpinghummer

Re: Wood burner v Pellet burner heaters

Post by humpinghummer »

One benefit for me with a log burner is you can find lots of free wood - branches lying around on walks and such. I don't find many wood pellets 😁
William Morris

Post by William Morris »

I thought it said "pelmets".

Woops.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Pellet stove every time.

Set the temperature and flame, switch on with remote control. When finished, will self clean.

Very little ash, though glass does build up soot, which is easy to clean every other day.

Other advantage is narrow gauge outlet pipe, which goes through the wall, but does no need to vent to the height of the house.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

kansas wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:50 pm Can anyone advise me the comparative benefits of wood burner and pellet burner heaters. I'd like to collect as much information from users before committing to purchase either one.

Many thanks
If you find quality pellets than a pellet oven will be low on emissions. Burning fire wood will have higher emissions in PM ( particulate matter) and benzene, specially when the wood is wet or certain wood with a lot of resin. (Pevkos)
The other advantages were already mentioned in Mark's post.

Max
Mark

Post by Mark »

Good points Max.

Plus with a pellet stove, I determine the heat, with wood, it can get to hot.

Am sitting in my lounge with the temperature at 21 degrees, if it gets warmer, I reduce the flame height......simple and effective, if it cools, with a press of a button, I increase the flame height.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Best thing we did was a log burner.
Remember that pellet burners need electric to run so what happens when there is a power cut!
Paul
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

Paul & Lesley wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:42 am Best thing we did was a log burner.
Remember that pellet burners need electric to run so what happens when there is a power cut!
Paul
Efficient log burners need electricity as well, for the fan that blows the heat into the room. These are the models that Thermodynamics et al are selling. We love ours.

A.
rambo

Post by rambo »

"Efficient log burners need electricity as well, for the fan that blows the heat into the room. These are the models that Thermodynamics et al are selling. We love ours."

Not necessarily true we have a fan mounted on top of the stove which works from the heat of the stove.

Paul.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Our Daughter also has a fan on the top of the stove which is circulated by the rising heat .
Trev..
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

trevnhil wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:41 pm Our Daughter also has a fan on the top of the stove which is circulated by the rising heat .
I think it is cleverer than that Trev

The amazing thing about oven fans is there powdered by electric, but they produce there own electricity using a method known as 'thermoelectric power'. It does this by using the heat from the fire and the cooler air from above to produce it’s own electric which powers a small motor that turns the fan, The hotter the stove, the faster the fan turns.
Alastair

Nil illigitimi carborundum
Goldano

Post by Goldano »

This is my 2nd winter with a pellet stove. Can't fault it. Easy to use, cheap to run. Recommend buying from The Pellet House, their service is excellent. Deb
Robert

Post by Robert »

How many 15kg bags of pellets do you all use over the winter? How many m^2 is that heating?
I also see Home and Garden sell 64 bags for EUR375. Does anybody buy elsewhere for less?
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Aren't these things harmful for the envirnment?
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

Mike, I am glad you have brought that up. When riding back along the prom at Colwyn Bay and Rhos the other day I could smell the wood smoke from log burners and it hurt my eyes. In Cyprus, even though no homes on our development have log burners, you can can smell the smoke in the air.
I am sure, with the number of log burners there are, they are a health hazard, just like coal fires once were.
Here in Penrhyn Bay, just one of our neighbours has a log burner and we can smell the smoke outside, and occasionally inside our home.
kansas

Post by kansas »

Do pellet burners have the same problem, re. health hazard, environmental issues?
robf

Post by robf »

I think the log burner is much nicer to sit in front, the flames look great. If you can, install on an inside wall, you keep much more heat inside the house. Also if you are installing a metal flue, then have a think about running it inside, it gets hot and can give you additional heat.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

I'd suggest reading this, from WHICH. https://www.which.co.uk/news/2017/03/ne ... emissions/