Is Trump mentally ill?

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Wallace

Re: Is Trump mentally ill?

Post by Wallace »

Hopefully keving he lasts 4 years, sadly he will be a target for every fundamentalist out there.
Whilst I do not agree with all he says, he is a refreshing and much needed change from career politicians.
He needs to walk the talk, and so far he is trying hard to do just that!
That is why he beat Clinton, and that is why working and middle class Americans voted for him.
I know America well, many once great states are a shade of there former selves, hence his victory
keving

Post by keving »

ApusApus wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:42 pm
Wallace wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:30 pm Not according to the American system of voting. He won fair and square. It is no different to the UK, where UKIP gained more votes than the SNP, but only returned 1 MP. Would you rather have anti UK Clinton?
Quite right, he won by their system & seems to be implementing what he pledged in his campaign so they can't complain really!

Shane
Who are the "they" that you refer to?

As I see it, if you are one of the 48% who voted for him you can't really complain about him implementing what he promised in his election campaign.

But if you are one of the 52% who voted against Trump and his pledges, I am not really sure you should now say all is OK, bring on all this sh it that we voted against
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Wallace wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:45 pm Hopefully keving he lasts 4 years, sadly he will be a target for every fundamentalist out there.
Whilst I do not agree with all he says, he is a refreshing and much needed change from career politicians.
That is why he beat Clinton, and that is why working and middle class Americans voted for him.
I know America well, many once great states are a shade of there former selves, hence his victory
No he beat Clinton because it was a no-brainer! :roll:

Shane
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

ApusApus wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:51 pm
Wallace wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:45 pm Hopefully keving he lasts 4 years, sadly he will be a target for every fundamentalist out there.
Bravo!

Shane
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

Wallace wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:54 pm
ApusApus wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:51 pm
Bravo!

Shane
Bravo
keving

Post by keving »

How can you say he beat Clinton when Clinton got 52% of the vote?

Forget the US electoral college system. The real thing is that if you travel America you will find a majority of people who are anti Trump.

PS "working and middle" class Americans voted for Clinton also. In bigger numbers.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

keving wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:50 pm
ApusApus wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:42 pm
Wallace wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:30 pm Not according to the American system of voting. He won fair and square. It is no different to the UK, where UKIP gained more votes than the SNP, but only returned 1 MP. Would you rather have anti UK Clinton?
Quite right, he won by their system & seems to be implementing what he pledged in his campaign so they can't complain really!

Shane
Who are the "they" that you refer to?

As I see it, if you are one of the 48% who voted for him you can't really complain about him implementing what he promised in his election campaign.

But if you are one of the 52% who voted against Trump and his pledges, I am not really sure you should now say all is OK, bring on all this sh it that we voted against
Nice, you've managed to drag this post into a Brexit debate & you've included a hypthenated derogatory term as well! :roll:

Shane
Wallace

Post by Wallace »

Naughty step Keving, you have debased the conversation, which by definition is an intelligent discussion amongst peers.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Trump won, irrespective of how many popular votes etc. I find it scary but he won fair and square so it's something we have to accept. Democracy in action I guess, much the same as Brexit. A divisive issue and result and one which people are protesting still.
Jersey

Post by Jersey »

Jimgym wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:14 pm Trump won, irrespective of how many popular votes etc. I find it scary but he won fair and square so it's something we have to accept. Democracy in action I guess, much the same as Brexit. A divisive issue and result and one which people are protesting still.
Well said
Jersey

Post by Jersey »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:05 am I'm so incensed by Trump and what he is about that I actually took the trouble to find and sign the anti Trump State Visit petition. Up to 1.5 million signatories now. Even if the petitoion is unsuccessful (as seems likely) and he comes for his photo-op with the Royals, the demonstrations will be plenty and vocal.

In answer to the OP (is Trump mentally ill?), wife and I have opinied several times over the past few days that he is.
Hey don't worry he will not come to occupied areas ..
johnoddy

Post by johnoddy »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:05 am I'm so incensed by Trump and what he is about that I actually took the trouble to find and sign the anti Trump State Visit petition. Up to 1.5 million signatories now. Even if the petition is unsuccessful (as seems likely) and he comes for his photo-op with the Royals, the demonstrations will be plenty and vocal.

In answer to the OP (is Trump mentally ill?), wife and I have opinied several times over the past few days that he is.

How did I know you'd do that Lloyd? :lol: Perhaps that's why it got so many signatures, people signing from outside the UK made it void and was, therefore, sidestepped.
Trump doesn't care what all you whiners think or say, in his eyes he has a job to do and he intends to do it regardless of the toes he steps on.
As for Clinton; what a corrupt and scheming, evil woman she is, hopefully, one day, she will get her comeuppance.
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

keving wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:00 pm
How can you say he beat Clinton when Clinton got 52% of the vote?

Forget the US electoral college system. The real thing is that if you travel America you will find a majority of people who are anti Trump.

PS "working and middle" class Americans voted for Clinton also. In bigger numbers.
Isn't it true that Hillary won by a country mile in California but just about everywhere else Trump won the popular vote?

And of course, most importantly Trump won according to the system that both knew and understood before the campaign started.

I can't help but think that if Hillary had won and Trump got the popular vote you would now be defending the system and not the popular vote...?

The bottom line is that if the Democrats wanted to win the election they only had to put up a trusted, capable, electable, candidate.

Unfortunately, they chose Hillary and the rest is history... ;)
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:05 am I'm so incensed by Trump and what he is about that I actually took the trouble to find and sign the anti Trump State Visit petition. Up to 1.5 million signatories now. Even if the petition is unsuccessful (as seems likely) and he comes for his photo-op with the Royals, the demonstrations will be plenty and vocal.

I thought this was interesting...
This map from Press Association shows that 15 of the top 20 constituencies with the most signatories in favour of cancelling Trump’s state visit are in London. The rest of the country doesn’t seem bothered, other than the student towns of Oxford, Cambridge, Bristol, Brighton and Edinburgh. Who’d have thought it?
Clicky...
Attachments
trump-1.jpg
trump-1.jpg (60.61 KiB) Viewed 5424 times
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:49 am
johnoddy wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:13 amPerhaps that's why it got so many signatures, people signing from outside the UK made it void and was, therefore, sidestepped.

Made it void? How so? From the petition site:

"Only British citizens or UK residents have the right to sign"

Last time I looked at my passport I was a British citizen :lol:
Like the other one that had thousands of signatures from Antarctica, North Korea and The Vatican City (pop 842)...?
keving

Post by keving »

What ever the number of signatures it is clear what the mood of the country is: we dont want Trump
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

keving wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:05 pm What ever the number of signatures it is clear what the mood of the country is: we dont want Trump
No, it is clear what the mood of a tiny part of the country is - see my graphic above... :roll:

Anyway, there is another petition now...

Donald Trump should make a State Visit to the United Kingdom. ;)
keving

Post by keving »

The "mood" of the country is actually measured by those that can be bothered to have an opinion.

Your graphic tells us nothing - it just tells us the top 20 constituencies with the most signatories and the bottom 20 constituencies with the least signatories. All other constituencies fall in between. As I say, it tells us nothing.

The new petition will be useful to test the "net mood" of the nation.
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

keving wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:30 pm The "mood" of the country is actually measured by those that can be bothered to have an opinion.

Your graphic tells us nothing - it just tells us the top 20 constituencies with the most signatories and the bottom 20 constituencies with the least signatories. All other constituencies fall in between. As I say, it tells us nothing.

It'll test the "net mood" only of those who sign it!
Geoff.
keving

Post by keving »

geoffreys wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:33 pm
keving wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:30 pm The "mood" of the country is actually measured by those that can be bothered to have an opinion.

It'll test the "net mood" only of those who sign it!
Geoff.
Those who can't be bothered to sign either petitition we must assume are indifferent to whether Trump comes to the UK or not ... they'll go along with the majority ... much like those who didn't vote in the referendum are never referred to.