From Kannaviou To Polis Off Road

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

From Kannaviou To Polis Off Road

Post by Dominic »

Yesterday was one of those days where we just set off with no real destination in mind, but with a picnic and our swimming costumes packed in the back of the 4x4. We were starting our adventure near the Kannaviou Reservoir, but had no idea where we would end up...

Read the article and chat about it below...
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
LouiseCastricum

Re: From Kannaviou To Polis Off Road

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Really enjoyed this blog. Thank you!
Louise :)
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

We really enjoyed the journey! Cyprus looks stunning a the moment. :)
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

Fabulous interesting blog again......it's so refreshing to see someone that's moved to Cyprus being adventurous, really enjoying exploring and being so interested in were they are living and sharing the adventure with the forum members, I really look forward to these great blogs.......
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

I echo these comments, Dom, thanks! Really nice pictures as always!

The pier where you ended up is Limni Pier. A bit further inland and up the hill is Limni Mine, which I believe is still an active Copper Mine. Feel free to wander through it (like we all did) and do another fascinating blog and photos!

That's what that small and well-maintained pier is there for, to take away copper ore in small freighters tied up alongside, (as well as making a very nice swimming spot!). Next time in this area, forget the picnic, and just all of you enjoy a nice lunch nearby!

Cheers- AL :)
Gone but not forgotten...
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

These days the pier is used solely for fishing and swimmers. There's even a white line drawn across it, and a sign saying no fishing beyond this point. I have seen numerous fisherman making a point of sitting 2 inches to the wrong side of the line, just to make a point. There won't be another soul on the pier, but they can't resist ignoring authority. :)

We do visit restaurants as well, but nothing beats a decent picnic when you are out exploring. You are not shackled to a particular route then, and you can sit in the middle of nowhere and eat your food surrounded by Mother Nature. No restaurant can compete with that.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

PaphosAL wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:00 pm I echo these comments, Dom, thanks! Really nice pictures as always!

The pier where you ended up is Limni Pier. A bit further inland and up the hill is Limni Mine, which I believe is still an active Copper Mine. Feel free to wander through it (like we all did) and do another fascinating blog and photos!

That's what that small and well-maintained pier is there for, to take away copper ore in small freighters tied up alongside, (as well as making a very nice swimming spot!). Next time in this area, forget the picnic, and just all of you enjoy a nice lunch nearby!

Limni mine is not active since > than 20 years. The "deep hole" is filled in. Shacolas is building 2 Golf courses in the whole area as well as hotels and villas.
http://limnibay.com/at-a-glance.php

Max
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Very true what you say about famiily picnics out in the wilds, wherever you happen to want to stop, eat, drink, and soak in the solitude and scenery, Dominic.

But Limni Jetty (pier) does seem to have undergone a major restoration and overhaul since I last saw it. I wonder why?

Cheers- AL :?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

How long is it since you were here Al and last were around that area??
Trev..
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Last in that area (Limni Mine group walk), then Halfway House for 11 of us, Pork Chops, fat Chips, Salad and copius beers, Cy£65 all in, my Birthday, my recriprocation for all their hosptitality, my treat.

Would have been 30 Aug 2002, Trev. My 55th... Cheers- AL ;)
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Ah, thanks for the year of when you were last in the area... So your experiences are of Cyprus almost 15 years ago.. That does help to put your comments into perspective. ;-)
Last edited by trevnhil on Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

PaphosAL wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:41 pm Very true what you say about famiily picnics out in the wilds, wherever you happen to want to stop, eat, drink, and soak in the solitude and scenery, Dominic.

But Limni Jetty (pier) does seem to have undergone a major restoration and overhaul since I last saw it. I wonder why?

Why? Because it gets a regular stream of visitors. Not many at the same time, thankfully, but there is often a bather or two there when we visit, plus runners use it as part of their route, believe it or not, and the aforementioned fishers.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Misunderstanding, Trev. 2002 was when I last saw Limni Mine. Last in Paphos in 2008, but reading PL every day, feels like I'm in Cyprus every day!

trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Ah, sorry for taking the Limni mine visit as your last one :-(

So it actually only Nine years since you were last here 8-)
Trev..
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

True, Trev, 9 years. Would you prefer that I discontinue posting on PL and return to my cupboard, on account that I'm a non-resident?

Or continue sharing years of happy memories, experiences, local knowledge and photos?

trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Now now Al... There are plenty of people posting on here from abroad. And indeed I help run a UK group from Cyprus.. I don't think it matters where you post from, or where you cupboard is...
Sorry if I have rubbed you up the wrong way :-(
Trev..
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

No probs, Trev. No sleight intended, no offence taken.

All the best to you and Hil- AL :)
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Dominic wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:20 pm
We do visit restaurants as well, but nothing beats a decent picnic when you are out exploring. You are not shackled to a particular route then, and you can sit in the middle of nowhere and eat your food surrounded by Mother Nature. No restaurant can compete with that.
One can even top a picnic if you visit one of the beautiful picnic sites in the Forests and have a little fire to grill your meat or perhaps the delicious Bavarian sausages (14 pieces) from Lidl. Leftovers can easily consumed the next day if they are stored in the fridge or freezer. Girls supposed to find the proper fire wood in the surrounding area of the Forest while Men arrange in the meantime the BBQ utensils and find the right spot and... drinks :lol:

Max
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

Just to go off the Cyprus picnic topic a bit (Max). As kids we always had our holidays in Cornwall with 10 family members and the best part was having a swim then a ham sandwich caked in sand. a drink of fizzy pop from the bottle with all the crisps in from the person before. We still love a picnic on my cousins farm in wales and it takes us back to them lovely sunny days on holidays as kids. Al memories are precious and are great to share with others. I still to this day while in England in 2008 loved Trev's harbour thread and as soon as I landed in 2008 legged it down to see it.
Have a lovely Saturday all and take care.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

We had those sausages in our picnic. It got pretty mutinous too, with regards to the odd number. Especially when it became apparent that the sausage pixies had visited even before the picnic had been packed.