Weather tomorrow (Friday)

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
DavidatLWH

Weather tomorrow (Friday)

Post by DavidatLWH »

Note sure I've ever seen such a divergence of forecasts:

Wunderground - heavy rain all afternoon. 18mm in total during day
Accuweather - occasional showers. 3mm in total
WorldWeatherOnline - No rain!

Wunderground has always been the most pessimistic, but has been pretty poor during spring.
trevnhil

Re: Weather tomorrow (Friday)

Post by trevnhil »

Wunderground weather has been pretty good from our experience. But although we can input 'Polemi' there is not a specific weather station here.
But they predicted the rain we have had today..

Trev..
Trev..
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Stupid, I can't delete this post!
Last edited by Devil on Thu May 18, 2017 5:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

DavidatLWH wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 4:32 pm Note sure I've ever seen such a divergence of forecasts:

They are probably all correct. In this type of showery weather, it is normal for the rainfall to vary from place to place, even 100 m apart at times.

Today, I measured 0.8 mm and my forecast is <2 mm with a 10% chance, maybe a little more tonight.

Tomorrow, <5 mm but a 40% chance, slightly warmer.
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

Many thanks, Devil. I recall your recent interesting posting in which you said that all forecasters use the same data - the forecasts depend on how you interpret that data.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Devil wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 5:23 pm
DavidatLWH wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 4:32 pm Note sure I've ever seen such a divergence of forecasts:

They are probably all correct. In this type of showery weather, it is normal for the rainfall to vary from place to place, even 100 m apart at times.

Today, I measured 0.8 mm and my forecast is <2 mm with a 10% chance, maybe a little more tonight.

Tomorrow, <5 mm but a 40% chance, slightly warmer.
I do wish that on your posts like this that you would mention that you are towards the other end of the island to Paphos where the forum is based.

Maybe adding your location to your profile would help

Trev..
Trev..
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Well at least Devil could say that the weather he is predicting and commenting on is nowhere near Paphos, or not even at this end of the Island .

Trev..
Trev..
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

trevnhil wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 6:31 pm
I do wish that on your posts like this that you would mention that you are towards the other end of the island to Paphos where the forum is based.

Maybe adding your location to your profile would help

Trev..
Hardly the other end of the island but plonk in the middle. :) Location added.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Wonderful Brian, we can see now just where your are referring to in the Larnaca district.

Trev..
Trev..
JimX

Post by JimX »

WU is still the best weather forecasting and remember that is what it is, for sure last night came very heavy rain and thunder, I guess Cyprus is a small island and weather systems can just pass by, that rain is much needed.

Not too bad today but temps way down on the last week.

https://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/fi ... _clean2day
Jim.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Lifesabeach wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 10:05 pm Not at all necessary, IMHO.
If it's 22C & sunny in Paphos and 2C & snowing in Troodos then location seems pretty relevant to me!

Shane
Last edited by ApusApus on Sat May 20, 2017 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Allesley wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 7:42 am WU is still the best weather forecasting and remember that is what it is, for sure last night came very heavy rain and thunder, I guess Cyprus is a small island and weather systems can just pass by, that rain is much needed.

Not too bad today but temps way down on the last week.

https://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/fi ... _clean2day

According to WU just now, we have over 90% chance of thunder storms until 1pm, then 70-80% until late afternoon & you don't class that as too bad! :shock:

https://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/17600.html

Don't put your washing out to dry just yet folks! ;)

Shane
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

wunderground's forecast for yesterday was rubbish - 18mm of rain up to midnight. Accuweather was more accurate - about 3mm.

I think wunderground's forecasting has been hopeless for the last year or so, where rain is concerned. In fact, according to wundergound it should be raining right now, but it isn't.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

There was torrential rain yesterday evening in Paphos. I didn't have a buckect to measure it but I wouldn't have been surprised if there was way over 1cm of it.

Yet when we got back to Polemi, it was obvious that there had been very little. That came later on, when there was a thunderstorm overnight. And now, there is intermittent heavy rain in Polemi.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

I have found this is the the very best/most accurate forcast as it shows satelite pictures of the clouds/rain/lightning moving

https://www.worldweatheronline.com/v2/w ... 9&wc=local
All things are possible
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Dominic wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 9:29 am There was torrential rain yesterday evening in Paphos. I didn't have a buckect to measure it but I wouldn't have been surprised if there was way over 1cm of it.

Yet when we got back to Polemi, it was obvious that there had been very little. That came later on, when there was a thunderstorm overnight. And now, there is intermittent heavy rain in Polemi.
No rain Friday in my place (Minthis area) but this morning 5.30 am a good thunder shower showing 8 mm/m2 in my bucket. It was the first rain in May and after the whole of April only 11 mm, it is far behind what we should have in spring.
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

Lincoln wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 9:40 am I have found this is the the very best/most accurate forcast as it shows satelite pictures of the clouds/rain/lightning moving

https://www.worldweatheronline.com/v2/w ... 9&wc=local
I've more or less ditched Accuweather and wunderground this year in favour of worldweatheronline. Nicely presented, too, but far more accurate than the other two.

Mind you, my neighbour swears by MSN, which does appear to be fairly good.

Hopefully, by the end of next week we should have little discrepancy between all the forecasters, apart from temperatures!
panoscouse

Post by panoscouse »

For a forecast to be accurate to your area you need the information from your local weather station.
Weatherunderground has at least 10 options to select your nearest one.

Worldweatheronline gives me a choice of two, Paphos or Paphos Airport. That's only good if you are at or near sea level.

Currently the variables shown by Weatherunderground stations forecast differences by up to 10 degrees in temperature in the greater Paphos area.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I find weatherunderground, forecast for Paphos Airport to be reasonably accurate. Wunderground also produce local forecasts for different areas. I can get one for Tala as well as Ktima for example.
It must be very difficult to get the weather forecast right 100% of the time. Bear in mind that Cyprus is a comparitively small island surrounded by sea. In addition there are mountains and there are numerous valleys. Winds can blow from every direction! So it should be easy to see that different areas can expect different conditions, be it rain fall or temperatures.
Dee
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

Just out of interest, does anyone know where the weather stations in Tala and other villages are situated? There's a substantial one in the car park on St Paul's Avenue in Paphos, which is presumably the Ktima one, but I don't recall seeing anything as large as this in Tala, for example.