Greggs Sausage Rolls in Cyprus ?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Uncle D

Re: Greggs Sausage Rolls in Cyprus ?

Post by Uncle D »

was it any good?
David
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I meant to watch it, and then forgot, did anyone watch it, and if so, how good are Gregg's sausage rolls?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Greggs Factory is just up the road from where I live at Gosforth north of Newcastle - Upon - Tyne and all of their Pastries are uncooked and frozen and delivered to hundreds of shops around the UK frozen and are cooked in the shops so that they are fresh every day - That include pies pasty's sausage rolls bacon wraps steak slices - allsort's of products - The cakes etc are delivered ready to eat - I would say the sausage rolls are very good and if they are delivered to Cyprus frozen then you are getting exactly the same experience - However I have bought them from Iceland frozen and followed the cooking instructions cooking them from frozen and they are not the same and the reason is when the shops get them delivered frozen from the factory at 3.00am in the morning they are on mobile racks and by the time the shop is open at 8.00am they are defrosted and ready to cook - So if you buy them frozen let them defrost first and then cook them on a moderate heat until they go golden and then they are perfect - Cooked from frozen they are not the same - Dried out and nearly burnt if you follow the instructions on the box - Try them as I have said and they will be perfect - Also they are not good reheated
https://www.greggs.co.uk/?utm_source=Ye ... medium=GMB
WHL

Post by WHL »

Just watched it, basically an hours free advert for Greggs
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Great I might watch it on ketchup
David
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Great I might watch it on ketchup
David
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

'So if you buy them frozen let them defrost first and then cook them on a moderate heat until they go golden and then they are perfect - Cooked from frozen they are not the same'

As 71 Trans Am has written - far better if defrosted first. I always fully defrost frozen pastry items (sweet and savoury), breaded chicken burgers (eg Birds Eye Southern Fried Chicken breasts) because I like the whole item cooked through properly.
I use a halogen oven (tabletop) and turn them halfway through the cooking time to ensure I don't get 'a soggy bottom'.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

galexinda wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:43 am To ensure I don't get 'a soggy bottom'.
Good to know 😃
David
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Pre-frozen items are designed to be cooked from frozen. The Greggs sausage rolls, for instance, cook fine with a nice crisp bottom. You just have to follow the manufacturers instructions. 220 is different from 180. That sort of thing.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Dominic wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:07 am Pre-frozen items are designed to be cooked from frozen. The Greggs sausage rolls, for instance, cook fine with a nice crisp bottom. You just have to follow the manufacturers instructions. 220 is different from 180. That sort of thing.
A good result varies according to individual preferences as well as different ovens producing a different effect at the same temperature.
Also, one of the many positive sides of using a halogen oven is that a lower temperature is needed for any type of cooking, hence more economical.
I happen to prefer all food to be cooked evenly the whole way through.
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Uncle D wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:00 am Great I might watch it on ketchup
😂😂😂
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
memory man

Post by memory man »

trevnhil wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:39 am I have in my freezer a box of Greggs Sausage rolls. I had some of them yesterday, and they are good..
My Grandson and family are coming out here in June and apparently, my Grandson loves them.
The shop I got them from has non left. Does anyone know where I may be able to get them in the Paphos area ??
Phillipos in Peyia now have them in stock.
memory man

Post by memory man »

trevnhil wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:39 am I have in my freezer a box of Greggs Sausage rolls. I had some of them yesterday, and they are good..
My Grandson and family are coming out here in June and apparently, my Grandson loves them.
The shop I got them from has non left. Does anyone know where I may be able to get them in the Paphos area ??
Philippos in Peyia now have them in stock.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

My family that are staying in Coral Bay have brought me a pack :-)
Trev..
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

In case Trev is still looking, there are now plenty of Greggs sausage rolls in Philippos, coral bay.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Thanks for that Jim. I have 2 packs now in the freezer brought to me by my daughter when she was on Holiday in Coral Bay
Trev..
aphrodite

Post by aphrodite »

LouiseCastricum wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 8:40 am It's so very easy to make them yourself with quality meat. From one large sheet of puff pastry you make 12 sausage rolls.
Bravo Louise, that's exactly what I do :)
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I may look into doing that. But I have not attempted baking yet . Do you just buy some mince from the butchers counter ?
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:12 pm I may look into doing that. But I have not attempted baking yet . Do you just buy some mince from the butchers counter ?
My wife made these and they were delicious
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Thanks WHL :-)
Trev..