State employees' salaries

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

State employees' salaries

Post by Devil »

https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/news/lo ... ata-shows/

It would seem that quite an important number of people are being paid handsomely, probably beyond what they are worth. I would suggest that a cap of €4500 per month would be more than adequate, remembering that it is tax-free and that it generates a nice pension if they do the job for more than a couple of years. I would also suggest that an individual can receive only one salary and only one pension when they retire, nor should they be able to have both a salary and a pension. A labourer is worthy only of his hire.
wantoosoon

Re: State employees' salaries

Post by wantoosoon »

To me, the salaries of top officials are less important than those of the typical public sector worker. There was a report in the CM a while ago which stated that they receive roughly double the salaries of their private sector counterparts, plus 13-month bonuses, total job security and automatic promotion, and they work shorter hours. If they were generally competent and hard-working, it might be understandable, but that's rarely the case.
WHL

Post by WHL »

wantoosoon wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:28 pm To me, the salaries of top officials are less important than those of the typical public sector worker. There was a report in the CM a while ago which stated that they receive roughly double the salaries of their private sector counterparts, plus 13-month bonuses, total job security and automatic promotion, and they work shorter hours. If they were generally competent and hard-working, it might be understandable, but that's rarely the case.
Thirteenth salaries are not a bonus they are part of their yearly salaries, that goes for private sector also
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Well whatever! I agree that many of these so called civil servants are extremely well paid, compared to those working in the private sector. But they have a strong trade union which seems to exist mainly to continue to negotiate further 'improvements' to their wages/ salaries.
But surely as there is no incentive for these privileged workers to increase their job skills, and there is virtually automatic promotion for all regardless of individual performance, why should they continue to be so generously rewarded?
Dee