Thin skin which bruises and tears

Discuss medical issues, and help each other navigate the available options for the Health Service in Cyprus.
Before following anybody's advice on here consider consulting your local doctor first.
MacManiac

Thin skin which bruises and tears

Post by MacManiac »

In the last few months I have found that the skin on my arms bruises very easily and also tears. Research suggests this is a common problem as you age. I spoke to my personal doctor and she has referred me to a dermatologist. I suspect retinoids my be prescribed.

Has anyone else suffered from this and what was the treatment and the outcome? Please PM if you would prefer your medical history to not be in the public forum.

In my case the situation is exacerbated by having to take corticosteroids to control colitis, and they are known to affect the skin in this way.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: Thin skin which bruises and tears

Post by Devil »

This is a known side effect of corticosteroids. I know the problem only too well as I had to take them for a number of years. Believe me, from experience, the skin problems are minor, compared to the skeletal ones. Three of my vertebrae have fractured (two thoracic and one pelvic), fortunately without damage to the spinal column, but I am now a hunchback about 15 cm shorter than I was. Maybe this is why I'm curmudgeonly! :-) Note that I have not been taking corticosteroids now for over two years but the skin on my limbs is still very thin and fragile.

If you have been taking corticosteroids for more than a few months, have a serious session with the doctor who prescribes them. Even on a low dosage, the long-term effects can be quite disheartening. And I say generally to the world at large, avoid them like the poison they are, if your condition allows for a different treatment.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Mac, I can sympathise with you and I find that my arms in particular bruise very easily. A short spell working in the garden usually ends up with me having bruised arms. As far as i know I am not on corticosteroids.. I do find that the bruising does disappear after a few days to a week
Trev..
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

I forgot to mention that you should never stop taking corticosteroids – you should phase them down over several weeks such as reducing the daily dosage to 3/4 for one week or so; then to 1/2 for the second week, so that for the third week, it will be one quarter per day.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Devil wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:25 pm I forgot to mention that you should never stop taking corticosteroids – you should phase them down over several weeks such as reducing the daily dosage to 3/4 for one week or so; then to 1/2 for the second week, so that for the third week, it will be one quarter per day.
I would assume that this would be under the guidance of the person's GP.. It is never good to change/ stop tablets without consulting whoever prescribed them for you
Trev..
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Devil wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:12 pm This is a known side effect of corticosteroids. I know the problem only too well as I had to take them for a number of years. Believe me, from experience, the skin problems are minor, compared to the skeletal ones. Three of my vertebrae have fractured (two thoracic and one pelvic), fortunately without damage to the spinal column, but I am now a hunchback about 15 cm shorter than I was. Maybe this is why I'm curmudgeonly! :-) Note that I have not been taking corticosteroids now for over two years but the skin on my limbs is still very thin and fragile.

If you have been taking corticosteroids for more than a few months, have a serious session with the doctor who prescribes them. Even on a low dosage, the long-term effects can be quite disheartening. And I say generally to the world at large, avoid them like the poison they are, if your condition allows for a different treatment.
Unfortunately I have microscopic colitis and the treatment is corticosteroids. They manage the condition very well (thank goodness) but I have taken them for eighteen months now. I see my excellent gastroenterologist every three months and we are both aware of the problems. But microscopic colitis is almost unbearable - with treatment I live an almost normal life.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

'Thin skin is extremely delicate and prone to injury. It is very common for older adults with thin skin to cut, bruise, and scrape themselves after an impact that they don’t even feel. This can raise the risk of infection and subsequent health challenges'.

'Retinols accelerate skin cell regeneration. The topical application of retinol was found to facilitate significant skin repair when applied to photo-aged skin, increasing dermal thickness, enhancing elasticity, and reducing lines and wrinkles'.

https://www.westdermatology.com/the-ski ... r%20itself.