Cypriots have increasingly unfavourable view towards migrants, report finds

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Cypriots have increasingly unfavourable view towards migrants, report finds

Post by Paphos Life »

Cypriots have an increasingly negative stance surrounding refugees, migrants, and asylum-seekers, which has appeared to have worsened since 2018, according to a study carried out for the UNHCR published on Monday. "The small size of Cyprus, the possible changes in the island's demographics and the fear of criminal/violent behaviour continue...

Read the article and chat about it below...
staffie

Re: Cypriots have increasingly unfavourable view towards migrants, report finds

Post by staffie »

The truth appears, no doubt I'm a racist again an members will have a go at me but I always sit on the fence.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Am not a racist, but I understand and agree with the Cypriots view. The UK which is also a (larger) island is also struggling with the sheer numbers arriving almost daily across the English Channel in rubber boats.

Dee
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

It appears to me unlike in the UK, the Cypriot government allows them to work and earn their keep. A lot of them speak very good English so why not allow them employment,
As far as the criminal element is concerned, all immigrant communities have them including the British.
David
Princebytor

Post by Princebytor »

It always seems bizarre to me for Brits with a Cypriot post code calling out immigrants, just because you call yourself an 'ex-pat' doesn't mean you're not an immigrant.
cactus

Post by cactus »

With respect it's not quite the same thing. Most of us expats, yes even us Irish, made a conscious decision to move here. Understanding that nothing is for nothing, we took care to house, feed and clothe ourselves. We are funded by our pensions, our savings, our families and that old-fashioned nonsense we used to call hard work. We didn't just jump on a boat to anywhere that might give us a free ride, claiming "asylum" and protection from a country that hasn't seen a war for decades. I think it is not entirely coincidental that such a massive upturn in "Asylum Seeking" is recorded at a time when our new Health Service is properly up and running.
Princebytor

Post by Princebytor »

cactus wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:41 pm With respect it's not quite the same thing. Most of us expats, yes even us Irish, made a conscious decision to move here. Understanding that nothing is for nothing, we took care to house, feed and clothe ourselves. We are funded by our pensions, our savings, our families and that old-fashioned nonsense we used to call hard work. We didn't just jump on a boat to anywhere that might give us a free ride, claiming "asylum" and protection from a country that hasn't seen a war for decades. I think it is not entirely coincidental that such a massive upturn in "Asylum Seeking" is recorded at a time when our new Health Service is properly up and running.
I am not quite sure that they 'jump on a boat to anywhere for a free ride'.....................might be idea to take time out from reading the Daily Mail and read something like 'The Beekeeper of Aleppo', it may give you a slightly different perspective.
Jamboal

Post by Jamboal »

cactus wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:41 pm With respect it's not quite the same thing. Most of us expats, yes even us Irish, made a conscious decision to move here. Understanding that nothing is for nothing, we took care to house, feed and clothe ourselves. We are funded by our pensions, our savings, our families and that old-fashioned nonsense we used to call hard work. We didn't just jump on a boat to anywhere that might give us a free ride, claiming "asylum" and protection from a country that hasn't seen a war for decades. I think it is not entirely coincidental that such a massive upturn in "Asylum Seeking" is recorded at a time when our new Health Service is properly up and running.
Sorry but whether you like it or not people like us who choose to live in a foreign country are immigrants, some people especially Brits like to brand themselves as expats probably going back to some snobby colonial time. As for asylum seekers “jumping on a boat to anywhere that might give us a free ride” count yourself lucky you’ve not had to experience the trauma some of these people have gone through to escape war or persecution, you like most of us probably wouldn’t survive. Through my volunteering here in Cyprus I have got to know quite a few immigrants particularly those from Syria, they are all mostly working now and although most are poorly paid they would do anything for me, fantastic people and a lot more friendly than a lot of the Brits I know. To state that all these people are here for a “free ride” is the type of comment that disgusts me and is typical of some of people that are living here, are financially sound and more than likely spend their time reading the typical right wing British newspapers and haven’t actually looked into the real reason these people risk their lives to get here.
Cherry345

Post by Cherry345 »

I couldn't have said it better myself Jamboal, I totally agree with you.
WHL

Post by WHL »

There are genuine people fleeing wars and persecution, and in my opinion every right thinking person should want to help them, equally there are economic migrants who are just looking for an easier life, governments be it here or the UK should weed these people out and remove them back to where they came from.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Personally i,m on the fence about this topic.However ( excluding us Brits ) why are the vast majority of other immigrants young men??
lefkes

Post by lefkes »

Chaddy wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:03 am Personally i,m on the fence about this topic.However ( excluding us Brits ) why are the vast majority of other immigrants young men??
If theses young men are fleeing from persecution have they deserted their families ,mothers and sisters to face the same persecution that they have fled from ???
lefkes .
memory man

Post by memory man »

Chaddy wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:03 am why are the vast majority of other immigrants young men??

5 Reasons Why the Majority of Refugees Reaching Europe are Men
Jamboal

Post by Jamboal »

memory man wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:57 pm
Chaddy wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:03 am why are the vast majority of other immigrants young men??

5 Reasons Why the Majority of Refugees Reaching Europe are Men
I’m glad you posted this, I’m so fed up of hearing people come out with “the vast majority of immigrants are you men” statement without finding out the truth for themselves, it’s the same people who state that “how can refugees afford mobile phones” as if because you’re a refugee you should be destitute. The ignorant and racist attitude of many British people I’ve met since moving here astounds me at times.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I'm not convinced that The Global Citizen gives genuine reasons for the majority being young men.

Do they even care what their sisters, mothers, wives are suffering after they have fled and left them behind? Had we been invaded during WW11, would our young men have upped and legged it to the USA, or somewhere else nice and safe? I doubt it very much, but hang on, no, our young men were all fighting for our country.

We are all entitled to our opinion, mine is that the weak have been left to suffer, whilst the able bodied flee, and more importantly, why? A better life for them?

Here in the UK, illegal immigrants, and yes, that's what they are, were housed in military accommodation, what happened, they set fire to it!! Good enough for our troops but not them. Now they are housed in hotels at our expense. Recently an hotel in Hereford has been appropriated for housing immigrants, there is no industry here, we are mainly are very rural area, growing fruit and hops. What will these people do all day ? no-one tells us. We cannot carry on like this, absorbing thousands of illegal immigrants, with no end in sight.

Now, I know that some people won't like this, but it's my opinion.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

WW2 was completely different. Imagine if England had a civil war, based on what your Religion was. All the people who didn't care either way would just want to be out of there while the others killed each other.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Dominic

Why was WW11 different ? Although we weren't invaded, Britain made preparation for the event, and indeed, according to my mother, at one point, it was expected daily, however, the Brits stood together in the defence of our country.

My point regarding women and children has not been addressed, nor the fact that Britain cannot continue to sustain the amount of illegal immigrants arriving on our shores daily.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I already explained why WW2 was different. These wars aren't Country vs Country. They are more complicated than that.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jamboal

Post by Jamboal »

Firefly wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:02 pm Dominic

Why was WW11 different ? Although we weren't invaded, Britain made preparation for the event, and indeed, according to my mother, at one point, it was expected daily, however, the Brits stood together in the defence of our country.

My point regarding women and children has not been addressed, nor the fact that Britain cannot continue to sustain the amount of illegal immigrants arriving on our shores daily.
To answer your point regarding women and children being left behind, the Syrian refugees I know both in Cyprus and the U.K. left on their own as the journey was too dangerous to risk their wives or children, some I know travelled through lawless countries like Libya. These young men were escaping being forced into Assad’s army which would have resulted in them killing their own people, nothing like what happened in WW11. The majority of them eventually managed to raise enough money to safely fly their families to freedom, something that’s never reported in the papers. Another example is the 100,000’s of young Russian men rightly fleeing their country rather than being forced to kill innocent Ukrainian people or be killed them selves.