New solar pool pump vs extra PV modules for net metering arrangement

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
mark4007

New solar pool pump vs extra PV modules for net metering arrangement

Post by mark4007 »

For the sake of argument - lets say I'm thinking of installing solar modules and a solar pool pump..

Has anyone done the calculation as to whether its better to increase the number of solar modules for a net metering arrangement (assuming you have the capacity) as compared to installing a new solar pool pump plus separate dedicated solar modules for that new solar pump?
My gut reaction is that it must be more cost efficient to do the former rather than the latter but I’d be interested if anyone has actually done the calculations/ costing.
glowred

Re: New solar pool pump vs extra PV modules for net metering arrangement

Post by glowred »

I don't have either system however I was working on one property where they had a solar pool pump and it was a day with sunshine and clouds and the pump kept cutting in and out which I found very irritating as the pump was quite noisy. Perhaps the systems are better now but something worth bearing in mind if the pump is close to the house.

Neil
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

mark4007 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:54 am For the sake of argument - lets say I'm thinking of installing solar modules and a solar pool pump..

Has anyone done the calculation as to whether its better to increase the number of solar modules for a net metering arrangement (assuming you have the capacity) as compared to installing a new solar pool pump plus separate dedicated solar modules for that new solar pump?
My gut reaction is that it must be more cost efficient to do the former rather than the latter but I’d be interested if anyone has actually done the calculations/ costing.
If you are limited to install more PV modules than 4 kWp because you have no 3-phase connection from EAC and you have a pool then one solution is to install a solar pool pump with 3 modules PV. The other solution is to apply at EAC for 3-phase connection which costs quite a lot of money and then you can install more PV modules if you have the space for. Of course you need a different inverter also.

Max
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

glowred wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:37 am I don't have either system however I was working on one property where they had a solar pool pump and it was a day with sunshine and clouds and the pump kept cutting in and out which I found very irritating as the pump was quite noisy. Perhaps the systems are better now but something worth bearing in mind if the pump is close to the house.

Neil
Solar pool pumps run even on rainy days if installed the right way. They just circulate less water when the sun is not shining. Solar pool pumps are much less noisy than normal pumps. If they made noise in your case than perhaps the filters were blocked with dirt or the impeller had a problem.
Solar pool pumps are the best investment you can make as they circulate the pool water from dawn to dusk without costing any electricity, no permits necessary. It is like a little stand alone photovoltaic system.

Max
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

We have a standard pump rather than a specific solar pump, so cheap to replace, connected to an inverter in the pool room and 6 off Grid panels. Has been great since August 2015. We also have the pipe work for a second pump if we needed it for ‘grid connected’ pumping, but have never needed it.

Ian
daveg

Post by daveg »

Have used a stand alone Solar pump for years, 4 pv panels...it happily runs all day ...
Less chemical use,less pool maintenance...can't recommend it highly enough....
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

We have the Lorenz DC solar pump, fed by 3 pv panels on our roof which are easterly facing. It runs during daylight hours and has cut back on our chemical usage considerably. We got it because, when we had a UV sanitiser fitted, a pool expert recommended we ran the pump for 12 hours a day in summer, so that at least 3 cycles of water would pass through it 8 hours in Spring and Autumn and 4 hours in winter. As our original pump was 1.6kwh this would have taken a huge proportion of our generated electricity.

Our pool is almost chemical free, with just a minimum amount of chlorine added. Oxygen levels are high because the pool pump helps oxygenate the water.

There are people on here who have had Lorenz Pumps fitted for over 10 years and they are still running quietly and efficiently. Ours was fitted by GreenAir.
mark4007

Post by mark4007 »

Ok - so just to return this subject - are we agreed

Its a good idea to run a pool pump for as much as possible (money being no objective)
It doesn't matter what the source of the power is for the pool pump (the water doesn't care if the electricity is powered as a stand alone system or from the grid)
If you don't have sufficient spare PV electricity (and/or an inverter issue) being generated by modules or you have a 4K system limitation then a solar pump could be a good idea.
Otherwise if you can have the PV module then use them as part of a PV system and run your pool pump in a "normal" manner (rather than a dedicated separated PV system) as this is much cheaper.