Cyprus marks March 25, 1821 anniversary of Greek revolution against Ottoman rule

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Cyprus marks March 25, 1821 anniversary of Greek revolution against Ottoman rule

Post by Paphos Life »

Cyprus on Saturday marks the anniversary of March 25, 1821, which signaled the start of the Greek revolution against the Ottoman rule. The Greek Independence Day, which also is a public holiday in Cyprus, sees schoolchildren taking part in parades in all towns. President Nikos Christodoulides is to take the salute outside the Greek Embassy ...

Read the article and chat about it below...
jeba

Re: Cyprus marks March 25, 1821 anniversary of Greek revolution against Ottoman rule

Post by jeba »

From an outsider's perspective that looks a bit odd. As if Germany would celebrate e.g. an Austrian anniversary. Not that I mind, but they should really have made passengers aware that public transport would be disrupted. My daughter couldn't get to work in time because in Larnaca there was a parade preventing buses to arrive at or leave the central bus station.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Re: Cyprus marks March 25, 1821 anniversary of Greek revolution against Ottoman rule

Post by cyprusmax47 »

There was a video in the Press today, showing what happened at Paphos....

Max
mark4007

Post by mark4007 »

jeba wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:00 pm From an outsider's perspective that looks a bit odd. As if Germany would celebrate e.g. an Austrian anniversary. Not that I mind, but they should really have made passengers aware that public transport would be disrupted. My daughter couldn't get to work in time because in Larnaca there was a parade preventing buses to arrive at or leave the central bus station.
I am sorry and surprised that this annual event caught you unaware.

There are many such holidays in Cyprus.. might be an idea to have a look on line to find out when they are.. just google cprus national holidays.. they tend to come along thick and fast at this time of year..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Or indeed, the Useful Information topic at the top of the page. Always up-to-date. Never old.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon »

It may be time to get over it and move on? It was a long time ago ago and the Turks won a later war anyway: (the 1919-1922 war). It really has nothing to do with Cyprus except for Greek nationalism, which is antithetical to any future settlement and was in many ways responsible for the division of the island anyway. Eh.
mark4007

Post by mark4007 »

wantoosoon wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:48 pm It may be time to get over it and move on? It was a long time ago ago and the Turks won a later war anyway: (the 1919-1922 war). It really has nothing to do with Cyprus except for Greek nationalism, which is antithetical to any future settlement and was in many ways responsible for the division of the island anyway. Eh.
lol.. ohh, i dont know.. Given the hunderds of millions who, every year, celebrate gaining independence from the British empire, its nice to be able to see a celebration where "we" were not the "baddies".
WHL

Post by WHL »

mark4007 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:31 am
wantoosoon wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:48 pm It may be time to get over it and move on? It was a long time ago ago and the Turks won a later war anyway: (the 1919-1922 war). It really has nothing to do with Cyprus except for Greek nationalism, which is antithetical to any future settlement and was in many ways responsible for the division of the island anyway. Eh.
lol.. ohh, i dont know.. Given the hunderds of millions who, every year, celebrate gaining independence from the British empire, its nice to be able to see a celebration where "we" were not the "baddies".
:lol:
jeba

Post by jeba »

Dominic wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:20 pm Or indeed, the Useful Information topic at the top of the page. Always up-to-date. Never old.
Can´t see that. Could you post a link?