Lost MPs

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Sheer Khan

Lost MPs

Post by Sheer Khan »

I watch PM’s question on a Wednesday, I just look for certain MPs, recently I havent seen Truss, Kwarteng and Patel, I have seen Johnson, Zahawi and Hancock just the once, they all still drawing their £84,000 pa, two of them draw £115,000 pa for life as a past PM, Truss for about 5mins, surely if they cannot be bothered to turn up they shouldn’t be paid, this seems all very wrong.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: Lost MPs

Post by Devil »

If I had my way, which will never be, MPs salaries would be limited to £250 for each time they were present for at least one hour in the Commons and £125 for their presence in official committee meetings. The sums would be paid only where the MP has no other income, if necessary pro rata. Carefully scrutinised expenses on parliamentary business would be paid, irrespective of income.

Dream on, Devil!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Enoch Powell famously never took a payrise, I seem to remember.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

They maybe have not been at PMQs but certainly I have seen Priti Patel and Matt Hancock various times at several debates. PMQs is only 1 hr normally out of a busy week with lots of debates and select committee sittings. In my opinion many of the MPs on both sides of the House work very hard indeed. They also have their consituency to look after don't forget and I believe their earnings are on a par with train drivers. The amount of abuse and threats they receive is frightning and I for one think the majority earn every penny of their salary unlike the Lords but don't get me started on that!!!
Sheer Khan

Post by Sheer Khan »

Yes the majority must earn every penny, just a few of the amount this lot earn out side of being an MP
May - £2.8 m
Cox - £2.2m
Johnson - £1.2m
Sunak - £546,000
Starmer - £799,000
Lamny - £202,000
Benn - £166,000
Brady - £209,000
Bryant - £138,000
Corbin - £333,000
Cooper - £252,000
Truss - £569,000
Daley - £480,000
Hancock - £535,000
Patel - £155,000
Gove - £358,000
Hunt - £251,00
and the list goes on, this is just what they declare, consists of donations,gifts and outside payments
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

IMHO, if their income exceeds their pay entitlement, they should not be paid.
Sheer Khan

Post by Sheer Khan »

I must add these figures are for the last 2 years, plus the £84,000 MP,s salary, train drivers are overpaid but don’t get gifts and donations
Sheer Khan

Post by Sheer Khan »

Now we know why there are very few MPs attending parliament most of the time they are busy earning £200 per hour from their secondary employment, and that just the average
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I can only comment regarding my own MP.

I have heard him on the radio, in PMQ time. He cares deeply, not only about his own constituents, but the country as a whole.

I have approached him a couple of times, requesting assistance with issues, which I have been unable to resolve alone. The first one was resolved, with his involvement. The second is still on going.

As far as the House of Lords is concerned, it's a total farce.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Sheer Khan

Post by Sheer Khan »

Well that leaves another 649, agree about the Lords complete waste of money and space, apparantly they get £300 per day just for turning up.