London Marathon

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
smudger

London Marathon

Post by smudger »

Heartwarming to see so many people running this hard race for charity. Well done very single one of you! :D
emgee

Re: London Marathon

Post by emgee »

Whilst what the participants do for Charity is tremendous, I think that having ten or more African runners in the "professional" race has turned me off the event. Don't mean to be offensive to African runners but I do like to see Brits in British held events.

Alan
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

emgee wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:52 pm Whilst what the participants do for Charity is tremendous, I think that having ten or more African runners in the "professional" race has turned me off the event. Don't mean to be offensive to African runners but I do like to see Brits in British held events.

Alan
It is an INTERNATIONAL event. People come from all over the world to compete. Not just British. :D
All things are possible
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Och Emgee. . . . . . . . Sometimes you just need a swift slap around the back of the Napper.

And then you seem to be reasonably OK again. 😅

Maggie B
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

emgee wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:52 pm Whilst what the participants do for Charity is tremendous, I think that having ten or more African runners in the "professional" race has turned me off the event. Don't mean to be offensive to African runners but I do like to see Brits in British held events.

Alan
Oh you have got to be having a laugh.

You must have had a fit when the Olympics were in London.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:35 pm

Alan
Oh you have got to be having a laugh.

You must have had a fit when the Olympics were in London.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
josef k

Post by josef k »

Alan
Illuminating comment Emgee. The first 25 in the men's elite included runners from Spain, Australia, France, Mexico, Ireland and Israel. Yet you only complain about "Africans". Don't be surprised if people draw their own conclusions.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I assumed it was a bad attempt at humour. Surely nobody is that blatantly racist in this day and age?
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

You'd be surprised, Dominic, sadly...

Most of us know that African natives can run fast. Okay, they can't keep pace with a Cheeta running at 60 mph. But they'll soon overtake the Cheeta (when it rests after its short sprint) and carry on for many more miles!

I applaud these native runners, tbh. Our UK athletes just need to train in their country and learn their tricks and environment, surely?

Cheers- AL :)
Gone but not forgotten...
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

An interesting snippet of information for you. Kenyans aren't that good at long distance running. All the Kenyans that win all the races come from one tribe, called the Kalenjin. Now, it isn't a small tribe, and numbers 5000000. However, this is only about 10% of the total Kenyan population. The other 90% aren't that good.