The Hotel Strip And Kato Paphos

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

The Hotel Strip And Kato Paphos

Post by Dominic »

In this film we take a sunny Spring drive along the Hotel Strip. In the past we would have included the Sea Front, but it has now been pedestrianised. To make up for that, we drive up to the castle before having a small tour of Kato Paphos.

Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Re: The Hotel Strip And Kato Paphos

Post by Kili01 »

Nice video! But the best and only way to see this area is via the coastal path from The Harbour to the little white church and return. We walked it last Tuesday in gale force winds...
The sea was an angry grey and the waves were crashing against the rocks with lots of white foam! Very atmospheric and such a contrast to the Meds blue sea postcard images.

Dee
ast

Post by ast »

Great Video on a nice spring like day, Thanks. 8-)
I started off with nothing and have most of it left !
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Kili 01

Would it not have been easier to say “Nice Video” and leave it at that?
Or break the habit of a lifetime and make fully positive Post?

Because the coastal path is not “The best and only way to see this area” It just gives a different perspective
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

71 Trans Am wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:14 pm Kili 01

Would it not have been easier to say “Nice Video” and leave it at that?
Or break the habit of a lifetime and make fully positive Post?

Because the coastal path is not “The best and only way to see this area” It just gives a different perspective
You develop a thick skin posting lots of content online. Weirdest comment I had recently was to the Neon Mall article on Facebook. Somebody said something like this:

"I haven't been there yet so cannot comment".

What does wind me up is when people ask questions that are answered in the article. Like "Where is it?" when you include a labelled map and instructions, and the article in question is only two pages in length.
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

I have noticed the same myself over many years - Its like some people have serious tunnel vision - They can see the end goal but cannot see or comprehend anything that is on route to the end goal - Orrrrr - They just do not read anything in the description
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Amazon FAQ’s are the best.

Q, Does this product come with xyz included?
A. I don’t know as I have not purchased this.

Amazon, and other similar sites, are littered with garbage like this.

As our team at work used to say, sometimes the problem is between the keyboard and the chair.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

71 Trans Am, driving along the road into Paphos just shows the fronts of the many hotels situated along the roadside. Now since the last part of the road along the sea front has been pedestrianised, views of the harbour from there are no longer an option.
I still think that following the coastal path offers much nicer and changing views of the coastline. Especially as a lot of work has been done to upgrade it and landscape its surrounds.
I know others will agree.
"Chaque un a son gout", as the French say!

Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

You've managed to miss the point yet again.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, I did notice that you'd photographed the road into town past the hotels. I didn't watch all the rest of the video as I usually get lost, as you are very clever at finding alternative ways around town on roads which I didn't know existed! (If that makes sense!)
I think through experience I've learnt which minor roads specially in the old town by pass the chaos of the innumerable roadworks...
Did anyone notice the huge cranes reaching skywards on the road between the Mall and the old town? They are behind new red hoardings proclaiming a start on an American University in Paphos.
Let's look forward to the future when the roads have all been updated... then we can admire the progress the town has made!

Dee
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Well !!! Read this three times now trying to figure out the last bit - And yes point missed completely
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Thanks for sharing, Dominic - and, it's interesting to see the seafront has now been fully pedestrianised. That can only be a good thing!

I must say, I barely reconised much of the place once you diverted on the other side. I did at first, then completely lost my bearings. I thought you were heading around the back near the Basilica in the direction of where Moulia's Fish & Chips was - but no, I've no idea where you ended up.

Will have to go back through the video and check out your map! After all, it is almost 7yrs since we left Cyprus and I don't think we were in Paphos much after 2015.

We've been chatting recently as some of my photo memories have been popping up in my fb feed, particularly of Kourion Beach in Limassol as it was a favourite place and easy to reach from our home. Marinos, our favourite waiter there asked when we were coming back as we often spent lots of time chatting with him during the winter season when it was quieter.

Thinking next year, may be the year we pop back for a visit.
Would like to see Chris King's new venues but deciding where is best to stay needs to be planned. Maybe we will just look at flight only or get the cheapest package deal then just book rooms in different areas around it...
We shall see!

We have a big trip coming up in a couple of months time which will take up pretty much the whole of April, and then a visit to Tunisia a few weeks later to chill and relax. After that, we will start looking at our options.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

Great video Dominic thank you, I was lost for a second or so when you detoured off to the waste land with the old buses but I soon picked up, as that was the road that bought you out near Begonia Garden Centre a few decades ago. It’s great to see that the renovations on the previously Demetra Apartments are coming together it started back in 2006 probably the developers have gone under over the years, plus the Daphne is also coming along.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Yes that was a wrong turn!