UK Royal Mail Cyber Attack - International Deliveries.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
PhotoLady

UK Royal Mail Cyber Attack - International Deliveries.

Post by PhotoLady »

I'm assuming everyone is au fait with the Cyber Attack on the UK Royal Mail handling system, which has affected all International postage on items where Royal Mail handle the collection before it gets dispatched out of UK.

If were unaware and you're expecting to receive posted items from UK - read on.

The incident was first announced on Friday 13 January.... it's understood it happened a little before that though as people began to notice orders dispatched after 10 January were not being picked up in the tracking link provided.

All International mail ceased forthwith.

On 18 January, some letters being sent overseas began to be allowed through - but not if they "contain goods", so basically only letters, forms, postcards but nothing of value - ie small orders purchased online such as eBay which cannot be dispatched as parcel post.

The backlog of parcels caught up before the official announcement was made public are now being slowly released and those I work closely with in online sales have said they can see their packages are finally being tracked and trickling through to their recipients.

Refer to the International Incident Bulletin which appears down the right hand side of the page as a link (provided at the bottom of this post), after you click through the Yellow Banner link at the top the RM home page of their website. The information contained on that link does not fully describe what cannot be sent which is this:
Additionally, we have resumed the export of the below services to all international destinations and customers are now able to send the following into the Royal Mail network:
* International Standard and International Economy letters which do not require a customs declaration (i.e. these letters do not contain goods);
* International Business Standard (untracked) and International Business Economy personal correspondence letters (which do not require a customs declaration.
The latest International Incident Bulletin can be found here:
https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app ... /related/1
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
trevnhil

Re: UK Royal Mail Cyber Attack - International Deliveries.

Post by trevnhil »

We are still waiting for Christmas card from England and Scotland
Trev..
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

They'll be keeping it for you until this December, Trev 🙂
WHL

Post by WHL »

If i have mail send to the UK, i always go to the main post office in town, first thing in the morning, the mail gets delivered within a week, coming from the UK its a different story, and its anyones guess how long it will take, I think the problem is it isnt flown over direct and could have a detour around a few european citys before it finally gets here.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Nothing has changed today in the International Incident Bulletin from Royal Mail.

If you're expecting mail from UK (not parcels) that is just an envelope containing a simple letter, it will get there.

If it's an envelope containing something of value - it ain't coming.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

WHL wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:46 am If i have mail send to the UK, i always go to the main post office in town, first thing in the morning, the mail gets delivered within a week, coming from the UK its a different story, and its anyones guess how long it will take, I think the problem is it isnt flown over direct and could have a detour around a few european citys before it finally gets here.
After Cyprus Airways went, there was no dedicated airline to carry mail from the UK.
So it goes via other destinations before reaching Cyprus.
It's where and for how long it sits when it reaches LCA sorting centre and the route of distribution which causes the majority of delays.

Mail coming from Cyprus to UK (not packages) and sent between Monday to Wednesday, generally reaches us inside 3 days.

So if posted from Cyprus on Wednesday, we receive it by lunchtime here in UK on Saturday.
This was always the case too when we dispatched our orders to UK customers between 2006 up until we left Cyprus in 2016.

Packages from Cyprus to UK are a different kettle of fish altogether....