Turkish Cypriots protest Islamification of north

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Turkish Cypriots protest Islamification of north

Post by Paphos Life »

Turkish Cypriot opposition parties, non-governmental organisations, and unions took to the streets on Monday to protest the Islamification of the north, after religious authorities pushed Islamic rhetoric at mosque courses attended by underage individuals. Aside from courses teaching Islamic values to children, as reported in the north a few weeks...

Read the article and chat about it below...
WHL

Re: Turkish Cypriots protest Islamification of north

Post by WHL »

I wish them good luck , but if I was a betting man, my money would be on Erdogan getting his way.
Last edited by WHL on Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

What a shame that all previous attempts by both 'sides' over the years have all failed to produce a settlement leading to a united island. Now, it looks as if the time for this may have slipped by.

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:42 pm What a shame that all previous attempts by both 'sides' over the years have all failed to produce a settlement leading to a united island. Now, it looks as if the time for this may have slipped by.

Dee
What has that got to do with Erdogan wanting to islamafy the north ?...
this has been Erdogan and his nationalist partners dream and goal from day one
You can not reason or negotiate with dictators
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

What I meant was that had there been a settlement back in the days when Akinci wasTurkish leader (North island) Glafcos Clerides was President (South), the whole island would have been a united Republic of Cyprus. Thus completely independant from both Turkey and Greece.
As it is now, Turkey is running the show there, so Erdogan's disciples are free to promote or enforce his Islamist policies.

I thought that most people would understand what I wrote.

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:00 pm What I meant was that had there been a settlement back in the days when Akinci wasTurkish leader (North island) Glafcos Clerides was President (South), the whole island would have been a united Republic of Cyprus. Thus completely independant from both Turkey and Greece.
As it is now, Turkey is running the show there, so Erdogan's disciples are free to promote or enforce his Islamist policies.

I thought that most people would understand what I wrote.

Dee
What you fail to see or dont want to see is Turkeys aim is partition, no more no less, Turkey does not want Turkish cypriots to run the country they want The north of Cyprus to be a province of Turkey,
El tel

Post by El tel »

Sadly religion has been responsible for a high percentage of conflict in this world .

Terry
WHL

Post by WHL »

El tel wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:30 pm Sadly religion has been responsible for a high percentage of conflict in this world .

Terry
Aint that the truth
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Agree WHL. That is the situation now.