Purchasing, registering and insuring a motorcycle

For all you Petrolheads out there...
MatthewNorway

Purchasing, registering and insuring a motorcycle

Post by MatthewNorway »

Hi!

After spending most of my holidays in Cyprus, spanning some 20 odd years, I hope to retire from my work and spend several of the winter months in Cyprus. I live in Norway presently. Norway is not in the EU, but is in the European Economic Area (EEA). I would very much like to ride a motorcycle whilst in Cyprus, but it is way too expensive to rent one for any length of time.

Does anyone know if I, as a non-resident from an EEA country, am allowed to purchase, register and insure a motorcycle? Or where to go/which office to go to that can advise me?

It would mean a lot to me if I could ride a motorcycle whilst there, there seem to be lots of fun roads, especially in the northwest part of Cyprus.
Regards,
Matthew
Uncle D

Re: Purchasing, registering and insuring a motorcycle

Post by Uncle D »

I would buy a new bike here from a dealer. Registration and insurance would be taken care of by the dealer.
Used bikes are expensive even at 10 years old
David
MatthewNorway

Re: Purchasing, registering and insuring a motorcycle

Post by MatthewNorway »

Hi and thanks for replying!
I have checked the used motorcycle prices on bazaraki and they seem pretty much the same as here in Norway. So, for around 3 000Eur to 4 500Eur, you can get a decent bike that will last for a good while given I'll only be riding on nice days in the winter season. I wouldn't buy a new bike here in Norway even, they are way too expensive. My Yamaha (1991 XT350) and my used 2006 Honda Transalp are excellent bikes and in the price range mentioned above.
Regards,
Matthew