Roe Vs Wade

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Roe Vs Wade

Post by Dominic »

I appreciate this might be a contravercial topic, but one thing that has always puzzled me is why the Right Wing are predominantly pro life whereas the Left Wing are predominantly pro choice. Specifically, given that Religion is often cited as a reason, why aren't the right doing more to help the poor and the downtrodden?

I don't ask this to score a point. I genuinely don't get why some staunch Republicans can get dewy-eyed about one aspect of their God's teaching but completely ignore most of the rest. You would think they would be a bit more in favour of gun control, at the very least.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Re: Roe Vs Wade

Post by Kili01 »

Long ago, I gave up trying to understand US politics. They can be a disjointed country given that individual states are allowed to make some of their own laws. Take the recent US Govt decision to allow individual states to make up their own minds for say deciding on their own policies regarding legal abortions, is a case in point. Gun law there is regarded as a right to carry arms. The NRA is a very powerful lobby for this. Whether all their members are Republicans, I don't know. Or possibly a number of them are composed of influential, wealthy Republicans is another possibility.
What connection is having a right to fire on all sorts of unsuspecting wild mammals in the name of sport necessarily to do with religion, is yet another good question!

Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The issue is with them shooting unsuspecting people, rather than animals. The Bible is quite big on the "Thou shalt not kill" thing. Especially the New Testament.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

I admit that I am basically anti-abortion but with the following voluntary exceptions:

Pregnant child under, say, 15
malformed foetus
rape victim
woman with six kids, already
history of several miscarriages
husband/boyfriend cannot keep his fly closed
disease or malformation of uterus
extreme poverty with no aid

in these cases, there should be a limit of, say, 100 days

I am against abortion as a means substituting for birth control, because there are several nonsurgical methods
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

IMHO, One of the biggest issues with American politics is that there are millions of relatively uneducated redneck type people who are given the vote on things they don’t really understand the consequences of! The NRA is a classic example of that.
Last edited by The Aquila on Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

I can see this turning into another American Civil War.
Alastair

Nil illigitimi carborundum
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Yes indeed. Another thing that puzzles me is that abortion will only now be restricted in States where the elected authorities choose to do so. IE it would ultimately be controlled by the will of the people. If the majority want restrictions, why shouldn’t they be allowed them?
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Dominic wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:41 am Yes indeed. Another thing that puzzles me is that abortion will only now be restricted in States where the elected authorities choose to do so. IE it would ultimately be controlled by the will of the people. If the majority want restrictions, why shouldn’t they be allowed them?
A number of countries divide the country into independent states, each of which is capable of voting in or out their laws, as everywhere. Federal law is the only system that covers the whole of the USA.

We have the same system in Switzerland (which the Americans copied), where are 20-odd individual Cantons, each totally independent with their own laws, again excepting federal laws (coinage, diplomatic relations, customs, military service, federal justice et cetera – but the number of federal laws is limited) and each Canton is really an independent country unto itself, making its day-to-day legal decisions. So be it more or less for a number of other European countries and possibly elsewhere.

Even though the federal court of justice in Washington has made the stupid decision about abortion, it does not apply to the individual states (that don't want it) that have the choice to decide for themselves, in the case in question about abortion the individual states can decide because the federal laws are very limited in number and scope. If you want the stupidity of the question of firearms, because it is a federal case, up to each state, the actual wording in the constitution for article 2, is simply that an established principle is that the original article in the constitution stated to the effect that each state can establish an armed militia to protect its interests. Therefore, strictly speaking, the article 2 is flouted by the ability to carry firearms, even if you are not a member of a militia. The Supreme Court has never had the guts to extend the law regarding the militia.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I didn't know you were Swiss. For some reason I thought you were Scottish.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

I am Scottish but, having lived in Switzerland for over four decades, I absorbed the Swiss way of life. I left Scotland at 18 for military service at Catterick to start with, followed by 18 months in – guess where? Nicosia!. Since then the only time I was back in Scotland was to see my parents on short visits. My father died in 1955 but my mother died at the age of 98 in 1985. The only other member of the family, my brother, died in 1958, leaving me without any relatives. My wife, Margaret, is estranged from a couple of relatives after her parents died but we don't even know whether they're living or dead. When I reached 65, I closed down my business in Switzerland and we came out here in Cyprus for economic reasons. So, my mindset is in Switzerland, rather than Scotland – at least until Margaret and I decided to come to Cyprus in 1997, where our Swiss pensions allowed us to live a good life.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

The Aquila wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:29 pm IMHO, One of the biggest issues with American politics is that there are millions of relatively uneducated redneck type people who are given the vote on things they don’t really understand the consequences of! The NRA is a classic example of that.
Yes, life is precious and a lot of the people are religious and that upholds it, but what happens if the fetus becomes gay 18 years later? :shock:
David
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

In my view, it is probably best to stay out of both American and Cypriot politics.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Diocletian wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:25 pm In my view, it is probably best to stay out of both American and Cypriot politics.
Killjoy! :D :D :twisted: :twisted:
josef k

Post by josef k »

The USA is a very backward country in many respects, and is populated in the main by ignorant and uneducated people. Given that, it should be no surprise they are passing laws that the Taliban would approve of.