New Member saying Hi!

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
martinshorthose

New Member saying Hi!

Post by martinshorthose »

Hi all,
New member to the forum though I've been following the Facebook and YouTube offerings for over a year.
My wife Carolyn and I are looking towards a move to the Paphos area in the next 12 months or so, hopefully to retire, although as I work in IT Support, I could conceivably continue to work for my UK employer, at least for a while.
She's a sufferer of MS, so we'll have very specific requirements for our new home and we're heading over in August to see if we can survive the heat and do a bit of property prospecting while we're there. We've been half a dozen times before, but always in Autumn/Winter. We'll be calling on you all for advice I'm sure, although we've done loads of research already and attended an "A Place in the Sun" exhibition where we chatted to various experts.
I was a cathedral chorister for too many years until I jumped ship from the Church of England about 15 years ago and was received into the Orthodox Church. It's great to turn up at a church in Cyprus and feel completely at home, even though the language is all Greek to me at the moment! Forgive me if I add too much information to Dominic's excellent films when it comes to church interiors, what's what and what things are.
I'll finish with a heads up, just in case there are any of you thinking of selling up...
We're looking for a bungalow or villa with an en suite on the ground floor. Carolyn is mobile at the moment, but I want to future-proof. We'd like to be in one of the inland villages of the Paphos wider area where we'd like there to be a taverna and maybe a kiosk for supplies. Three beds would be nice and there must be at least two bathrooms. A pool would also be nice, but with our budget, we need to be flexible. We'll have between £150-180k to spend, though the less we spend on bricks and mortar, the more there will be to live on. I'd prefer somewhere secluded and not overlooked, and as far up into the hills as you like.
Cheers!
Martin
Lincoln

Re: New Member saying Hi!

Post by Lincoln »

Welcome Martin and Carolyn, Good luck in your search. Don't go too far up in the hills for isolation. It get very cold up there and also think of easy access to medical emergencies..
All things are possible
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Yes,an outlying village not to far from Paphos would be a good choice a little cooler in summer.In fact we where thinking of moving ouside of Paphos into a village ouselves.
Golden rules when buying in Cyprus.....It would be an advantage if the property had or could get access to title deeds .....Check the property out you are thinking of buying both night and day for barking dogs,cockerells crowing,donkeys braying and maybe feral cats using your garden as their toilet.Otherwise,yes a good retirement destination.Hardley any crime,friendly people,and a relaxing place to retire.
martinshorthose

Termites Dream - thanks for your message. I think there's a disparity there in our price against that of your neighbour of about 100k, unless the fellow is discounting heavily. I don't seem to be able to reply to your PM unfortunately - is that a 'new user' thing I wonder?
memory man

Post by memory man »

In order to send and receive PMs, you will have to have posted 4 times. It is an anti-spam measure.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Hello and welcome to the forum and to Cyprus!
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I have to say that when I read the first post I thought you would be lucky to get all that you wanted for 180,000
Trev..
martinshorthose

You're right trevnhil, but I have a shortlist already of four properties to look at when we're over in August, so it's just a matter of waiting for the right one to come along. I agree that if my search was limited to the likes of Tala, then I'd need to double my budget, but we're happy to be away from it all to some extent, and the pool idea is very optional. :)
martinshorthose

memory man wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:49 pm In order to send and receive PMs, you will have to have posted 4 times. It is an anti-spam measure.
Thanks - I assumed that was likely the cause.
I'd better get posting then!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Hello, and welcome to the forum. It is nice to see that you have already been made welcome.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
emgee

Post by emgee »

Pegeia has everything you need.

Good luck

Alan
josef k

Post by josef k »

If you are looking for a 3 bed bungalow or house then I would say your budget is around 100k short, unless you go a long way into the hills and away from essential facilities. For your budget I would think a well appointed apartment or possibly a townhouse (terraced). Not easy to find 3 bed townhouses though. You would get a pool on a complex, but you may also get rowdy holidaymakers keeping you awake in the early hours.
A point to consider is the current rules for non-EU people achieving residency ( I am assuming you are both British passport holders). Have you checked to see if you meet them, particularly in respect of financial matters?
Ignore "Place in the Sun". Unrealistic and often factually incorrect in my opinion. The boys and girls on this forum are the best people to consult. They have been there, done that, and have the tee shirts.

The standard advice always given is rent for a period before you commit to buying, or even staying.
emgee

Post by emgee »

Before committing yourself to a property, employ the services of an independent Lawyer, NOT the vendors Lawyer.

Alan
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Welcome to the forum, Martin. You've been given some sound advice already as many of us on this forum have been living in and around the Paphos area for a number of years. I've been living here for over 20 yrs. Advice on living somewhere easily accessible and near a village is important. Especially where health issues are a factor. Do you both drive a car? Ambulances may be slow to arrive to a rural location. Adverse winter weather conditions in inland or in mountainous places are also a factor.
When you arrive you will need full medical insurance, plus a guarantee of a certain minimum income. Conditions for joining a National Medical scheme here will depend on whether you are working here and paying social insurance,or are retired from UK with an S1.
Once you get the basics sorted, this is a great place to retire to..
Dee
martinshorthose

Thanks for the advice everyone. We've actually been researching this for a couple of years, and I've had searches running on various property websites for rather longer. I know our choices are limited by budget, but also know that there are properties out there which fit the bill. With future mobility issues, a townhouse is out of the question, an apartment similarly unless it has a lift, and we don't fancy living permanently in a holiday village.
Financially we're OK I think, but I don't see sinking all of our retirement fund into property, especially with no kids to leave it to. If we keep the bricks and mortar budget low, we can enjoy retirement more and I can potentially do that early - I'm currently 55 (although my wife is 65).
We are both British nationals and have checked out residency requirements and think we qualify. I will obviously be sorting out medical insurance, either for me or for both of us, although next year, she'll be covered as a UK retiree.
For background, we currently live in North Wales so we're used to wintery conditions. In fact Carolyn likes the idea of having noticeable seasons. We currently heat by wood burning stove, so that is nothing new. We also lived for nearly 10 years aboard a narrowboat, so being self-sufficient for fuel and electric is familiar territory.
Kili01 - I have to chuckle at your comment about slow ambulances! Last time someone near here wanted an ambulance, they waited over 15hrs and then died from their injuries. Yes, we drive.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Hi Martin,
Glad to hear that you are doing lots of research, but one thing is certain being on holiday here is very different from actually living here.We always advise new people who are planning to live here to rent property first for at least 6 months. Why? Because you need time to properly assess the area or village. Rushing into buying a property because it suits or because it seems a bargain, may be a mistake if the locale isn't right. Very, noisy neighbours, dogs that bark incessantly etc.Unlike the UK, many houses here have little or no insulation which can make them v expensive to heat in winter.
As one gets older or health deteriorates, the above points are important.
Good luck with your impending move, hope it will all go well.
Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:30 am Hi Martin,
Glad to hear that you are doing lots of research, but one thing is certain being on holiday here is very different from actually living here.We always advise new people who are planning to live here to rent property first for at least 6 months. Why? Because you need time to properly assess the area or village. Rushing into buying a property because it suits or because it seems a bargain, may be a mistake if the locale isn't right. Very, noisy neighbours, dogs that bark incessantly etc.Unlike the UK, many houses here have little or no insulation which can make them v expensive to heat in winter.
As one gets older or health deteriorates, the above points are important.
Good luck with your impending move, hope it will all go well.
Dee
No different to the UK then?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

You do not get barking dogs in the UK like you do in Cyprus. I know you like disagreeing with everything Kili01 says, but in this instance re barking dogs she has a completely valid point.

Barking dogs is why you should visit a place you are thinking of buying or renting at night first. We can hear them in the distance and it doesn't bother us at night as it is too far away. But if I lived in the centre I think I would need triple glazing!
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

We certainly had rose tinted glasses on when we chose a bungalow to rent.. We felt pressured as there were not too many bungalows available so we rented in the middle of the village.. We were paying too much for a flat concrete roof building that was too hot in summer and too cold in Winter.
No Aircon, no heating, and single glazing . And across the street, there were caged dogs.
After around 6 months we moved to another village where we spent a year or two whilst having a property built for us... We still love Polemi, but Temithousa also ticks a LOT of boxes.
Trev..
Emma Rogers

Post by Emma Rogers »

Hi, Martin!
How are you? Your story inspires me very much!
Have you already chosen a place to stay? You say you have much experience in researching rental offers. I'm not looking for a place to retire yet, but I'm thinking of a long-term trip to Cyprus. So It would be great if you give a piece of advice how to find good properties, is Paphos worth staying in or what rental services you may recommend to use.
I visited Limassol a couple of years ago in summer. it was extremely hot there but I fell in love with Cyprus. I dream to live not far from the sea! What is the weather like in September?