Ikea

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
kansas

Ikea

Post by kansas »

We've been to Ikea twice in the last 4 weeks. The first time we noticed a reduction of stock. Yesterday was even worse with lots of empty shelves. We asked one of the assistants if the shop was running down stock in order to close. She said there had been some problems but didn't give any details. It would be a shame if we lost Ikea. Has anybody else got up to date information?
Uncle D

Re: Ikea

Post by Uncle D »

I know IKEA outsource most of their production to the far East, there are worldwide supply chain problems including highly increased costs.
I always thought putting their store in Nicosia a mistake. It's a long way from Limmasol docks and a long way from most of their potential customers.
David
WHL

Post by WHL »

Uncle D wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:59 am I know IKEA outsource most of their production to the far East, there are worldwide supply chain problems including highly increased costs.
I always thought putting their store in Nicosia a mistake. It's a long way from Limmasol docks and a long way from most of their potential customers.
Cant Agree, Nicosia is center of the Island, easy access to Limassol Larnaca and the Eastern end, not to mention the north, we often see many Turkish Cypriots in there, as for a long way from Limassol, just over an hours drive, hardly a long way.
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

I spoke with someone at IKEA last week in detail. He said there were new containers on the way - one this coming week and several in June and that the stock problems were due to several factors including the port strikes in Piraeus where most of the Chinese manufactured IKEA stock passes through and the recent sales. Also that they are still adjusting to COVID affects and changes in online ordering.

Hopefully in a few months they will be back to a good stock level.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Cant Agree, Nicosia is center of the Island, easy access to Limassol Larnaca and the Eastern end, not to mention the north, we often see many Turkish Cypriots in there, as for a long way from Limassol, just over an hours drive, hardly a long way.
Yes but its a hour and a half from Paphos, two from Polis, 1 hour from laranaca and as the largest population probably live in Limmasol It would have been better placed in Limmasol
David
WHL

Post by WHL »

Uncle D wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 2:41 pm Cant Agree, Nicosia is center of the Island, easy access to Limassol Larnaca and the Eastern end, not to mention the north, we often see many Turkish Cypriots in there, as for a long way from Limassol, just over an hours drive, hardly a long way.
Yes but its a hour and a half from Paphos, two from Polis, 1 hour from laranaca and as the largest population probably live in Limmasol It would have been better placed in Limmasol
One hour from Larnaca, are you walking, I live in Larnaca and its a 30 minute drive to Ikea, ive dont it lots of times,
The Largest population in fact live in Nicosia, not Limassol, and as for Polis, how many live there, not a lot im guessing maybe a few thousand at most,.
Im sure Ikea when deciding where to locate their store, did every search known to man to get the optimum sales from their location site.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Is this a 5 minute argument or the full half hour?
😁
David
WHL

Post by WHL »

Uncle D wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:48 pm Is this a 5 minute argument or the full half hour?
😁
There's no argument , it is what it is,
By the way, are you trying to get us into the new revamped pit ? :lol:
souniman

Post by souniman »

Ikea do have a store in LImassol with limited stock.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

souniman wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:59 am Ikea do have a store in LImassol with limited stock.
ah, just like the main store :roll:
David
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

In Limassol, Ikea stock is very limited. Often involving ordering from the catalogue.
Like Uncle D, being resident in Paphos, actually the other side, Nicosia is considered to be a long way! For those without super charged cars its more like 2 hour drive.
I don't know how often WHL visits Paphos but over the last few years it has grown a lot!
Many of us would visit IKEA more often, if it didn't mean a long drive and often a full day out.

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:21 pm In Limassol, Ikea stock is very limited. Often involving ordering from the catalogue.
Like Uncle D, being resident in Paphos, actually the other side, Nicosia is considered to be a long way! For those without super charged cars its more like 2 hour drive.
I don't know how often WHL visits Paphos but over the last few years it has grown a lot!
Many of us would visit IKEA more often, if it didn't mean a long drive and often a full day out.

Dee
No need to visit Paphos, a google search shows Paphos has the smallest population of all the Republics citys, hence why when deciding on a location for their store Ikea chose Nicosia
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

WHL

I believe what Dee is saying is the main IKEA in Limmasol would be more central for everyone on the whole island. It's about a 45 minute drive from Paphos as it is from Larnaca and Nicosia. We've been to the small outlet shop and unless you've gone to buy a specific item the shopping experience isn't worth the journey.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Jim B wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:44 pm WHL

I believe what Dee is saying is the main IKEA in Limmasol would be more central for everyone on the whole island. It's about a 45 minute drive from Paphos as it is from Larnaca and Nicosia. We've been to the small outlet shop and unless you've gone to buy a specific item the shopping experience isn't worth the journey.
I understand, but companys like Ikea do every research known to man to get, optimum sales, that's why they chose Nicosia, don't forget the turkish cypriots crossing over to shop, on every occasion ive been to Ikea, ive sean turkish cypriot family's shopping there.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Well! maybe Ikea ought to think about moving to larger premises in Limassol then, to cater for
those living the Polis, Paphos - Limassol area. I'm sure that such a move would be well supported!

Dee
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

In March 2022, IKEA stopped purchasing wood from Russia because of Russia's war of aggression against Ukraine. The country was one of the main suppliers of their approximately 50 wood supply countries. The purchase freeze also applied to suppliers from Belarus. So in future their shops will be more empty of furniture no matter in Limassol or Nicosia.
(source: Wikipedia)

The only time I visited a IKEA center was in Italy, 15 years or so ago, and I thought that the quality of furniture one could buy in Cypriot furniture shops at Nicosia was much higher then what I have seen at IKEA Italy.

Max
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:46 am Well! maybe Ikea ought to think about moving to larger premises in Limassol then, to cater for
those living the Polis, Paphos - Limassol area. I'm sure that such a move would be well supported!

Dee
It will never happen, Ikea will not be spending hundreds of millions of euros, so they might get some more customers from Paphos and Polis, Polis has a population of under 4, 000?