DNS on Cyta Router

Everything to do with I.T, T.V, and telephony.
hutch642

DNS on Cyta Router

Post by hutch642 »

I have a Cyta router here in Cyprus. I have brought a Roku stick over from the UK with me. On this I have loads of apps all paid for such as Disney, Amazon Prime, Discovery Plus etc etc. The only one that seems to work properly is Netflix. Is it possible to put a DNS service on a Cyta router to make the apps think I was still in UK so they work here. As I say they are all paid for subscriptions. I realise I will have to pay someone like smart DNS but I would like to find out first if it will work. I can get a 14 day trial but I wouldn’t have a clue where to start so any help would be appreciated
bromerzz

Re: DNS on Cyta Router

Post by bromerzz »

I do not use Cyta but when I did some 6 years ago or so, you could go into the router settings and change your DNS, I also used SmartDNS. As I do not have access to a Cyta router,,via your web browser type 192.168. 10.254 which should be the router default IP address and look around to see what if any changes you can make these days.
One downside was that every time CYTA updated or did some sort of line check it would reset the DNS to the default.
If that does not work simply piggyback on another router which you can use your own DNS settings on.
merchant_banker

Post by merchant_banker »

Unlikely to be a DNS issue, most likely an IP address issue.

Try a good VPN ie Nord VPN
hutch642

Post by hutch642 »

Thanks for your replies. The trouble is that Amazon Prime and Disney seem to know you are using a VPN so block you anyway. I thought a DNS would be better and also doesn’t slow down the speed so much. I’m a bit worried about messing around too much with the router in case I completely break it and not being able to connect to the internet at all
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Don't worry about that. Just make sure you know how to reset it. Them, provided you aren't installing new firmware or anything, you can experiment how you like safe in the knowledge that you can do a factory reset if you screw it up.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

If you are considering Nord VPN, then please use our affiliate link to go to their site. If you sign up we get a small commission that helps pay for the cameras.

https://go.nordvpn.net/aff_c?offer_id=1 ... url_id=263

Now, regarding DNS vs VPN. I have not tried the DNS approach but I think it works using this logic.

A service like BBC has several mirrors. Depending on where you are located, they (the BBC) will direct you to the nearest server. They may do this using DNS. The DNS server in the UK will have an IP address for BBC that points to a UK server. Whereas a DNS server in Germany, for example, might have an IP address that points to a mirror in Germany. So somebody surfing in Germany would be directed to the German mirror, whereas somebody surfing in the UK would get the UK mirror.

So changing your own DNS Server to point to one in the UK might well be all that is required, depending on how the BBC service works.

This is especially true when you take into account the whole concept of the cloud.

I don't think you would get any of the security benefits of a VPN by doing that though. However, I am only speculating as it is not something I have ever had to attempt.
hutch642

Post by hutch642 »

Thanks for your replies Dominic. It seems the best rated VPN is Express VPN but I’m not sure that would even fool the likes of BBC. I guess I’m going to have to bite the bullet and give it a go.
J B

Post by J B »

When I was last in Cyprus (November) I used Surfshark VPN on my firestick and BBC iPlayer worked fine with my location set to Manchester.
J B
gerryg

Post by gerryg »

Hi

Since you know about smart dns I would suggest the way forward is to use them and change the dns on the Roku . Just go to how to set up and then set top box for instructions. This is exactly what I do with my devices ie Firesticks, smart tv , computers etc. It costs 50 or 60 pounds for two years. I have been with them for many years. I have never tried to change the dns on my router and with primetel I dont think I can. But its not necessary

The dns numbers to use are on the site. I use the ones for Israel and Turkey and suggest you do the same .

Good luck

Gerryg
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

hutch642 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:50 pm Thanks for your replies Dominic. It seems the best rated VPN is Express VPN but I’m not sure that would even fool the likes of BBC. I guess I’m going to have to bite the bullet and give it a go.
Actually most people on this site who use a VPN would recommend Nord.
hutch642

Post by hutch642 »

I think the trouble is Gerry that it looks like for the Roku you can’t put it on the actual device. You have to put it on the router. I also have an Apple TV device and that is the same. Smart DNS says on their setup page that if you put it on the router then all your devices will work from that. Also you say that yours is set for Israel and Turkey but wouldn’t it have to be set for UK to get the likes of BBC to work.
gerryg

Post by gerryg »

Hi Hutch

Since I dont have a Roku device I have never looked at the set up instructions at smart dns. But I just did that and you are quite right the dns in the Roku cannot be changed. But this is not the case with Firesticks and most , if not all smart tvs and computers. But in terms of the Roku the only way to get it to work here , if you cant find a way to change the dns on the router, is to use a vpn. Dominic suggests Nord . It may be worth giving it a try.

Firesticks are versatile and quite cheap and you can get bbc itv channel 4 and channel 5. And you can do much more besides which I wont go into now. And its easy to change the dns so that when you switch on its as if you are in the uk.

The reason I use smart dns servers in Israel and Turkey is that you have to select servers that are closest to cyprus. Although other servers will work. But all servers (including Israel and Turkey ) will deliver Uk tv.

I did toy with the idea of buying a Roku myself not realising that they could not be easily accessed. But frankly the firestick gives better sound and video quality.

I hope this helps you.

Gerryg
hutch642

Post by hutch642 »

I do have an Amazon Firestick at home so will bring it over next time. Apart from the Roku stick's limitations I do really like it. I'm going to give Nord VPN a go so will go through your link Dominic.