Water cuts this year !

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

Water cuts this year !

Post by memory man »

Reservoirs at only 50% of capacity, Nicosia area only 30%

The island’s reservoirs are only at just over 50 per cent capacity due to the dearth of rainfall for this time of the year, it was reported on Sunday.

The stored amount stands at 50.1 per cent or 145.5 million cubic metres on November 5, compared with 220.9 million cubic metres, or 76 per cent of capacity this time last year.

All of Cyprus’ reservoirs combined have a total capacity to store 290.8 million cubic metres.

According to the data, Kouris, the largest dam in Cyprus, has stored 59.2 million cubic metres, or 51.5 per cent of its capacity, compared with 81.3 per cent at the beginning of November 2020.

The reservoirs connected to the Southern Pipeline – Kouris, Kalavasos, Lefkara, Dipotamos, Germasogeia, Arminou, Polemidia and Achna, have stored 89.3 million cubic metres, or 47 per cent of capacity compared with 75 per cent this time last year.

Paphos three reservoirs, Asprokremmos, Kannaviou and Mavrokolympos, have stored 42.4 million cubic metres and are at 59 per cent capacity, while those in the Chrysochous area – Evretou, Argaka, Pomos and Ayia Marina are at 48.7 per cent capacity.

The lowest percentage of stored capacity on November 5 is in the Nicosia at Vyzakia, Xyliatos and Kalopanayiotis with a total of 1.1 million cubic metres or 30.3 per cent. The capacity of these reservoirs is 3.4 million cubic metres. In November last year these reservoirs were 50 per cent full.

Inflow to dams was only 36 million cubic metres in the winter of 2020-2021 compared with 139 million the previous winter – 2019-2020 – and 265 million the winter before that, 2018-2019.

According to CNA, total water demand in Cyprus in 2020 was 266 million cubic metres, of which 221 million cubic metres were covered by rainfall and 52 million coming from desalinated and recycled water.

https://cyprus-mail.com/2021/11/07/rese ... a-only-30/
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Water cuts this year !

Post by Dominic »

Imagine how much worse it would have been if hotels had been operating at full capacity!
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

There is no need to worry. We have DESALINATION Plants.
All things are possible
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Do we.. Where at ?? Didn't they dismantle the Paphos one?
Trev..
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Desalination plants are very costly to run. I suspect that the Government won't be anxious to use them until they really need to. I thought that under the current mayor of Paphos the desalination plant was under construction at least a year ago. Wonder if anyone knows what happened?
Dee
sued51

Post by sued51 »

I’ve just had a water bill (in Tala) and there waa a note inside saying that the cost of water was increasing by 18c (I think) per cubic metre due to the cost of desalination - I would assume that by being charged extra for them to be used we would avoid any water cuts?
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Very interesting Sue. Perhaps Tala Board were thinking of next summer? Haven't seen anything about Paphos area using de -salinated water as yet? Also we still have half of Nov, Dec, Jan and Feb ahead of us, all usually with plenty of rainfall.

Dee
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

They dismantled the de salination plant near kouklia. I am glad we moved from Tala
David
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Desalination plant is ready to work. One can see it on Google map. No need to moan about it....

"The minister visited the Paphos desalination unit in Kouklia, where he was briefed about the progress of the project, which is nearly ready and awaiting the arrival of experts from Italy so that it can be handed over, epidemiological conditions allowing.

The specific project is the culmination of efforts from the agriculture ministry’s water development department to enhance water supply from non-conventional sources to the whole of Cyprus, he said.

Kadis added that the desalination unit, which is part of an islandwide initiative to upgrade development infrastructure, is an important step in tackling water scarcity in the Paphos district.

In combination with the other units, it will cover up to 80 per cent of the drinking water needs of large urban and tourist areas of Cyprus, satisfying to a very significant degree their increased domestic, business, tourist and agricultural needs, he said.

As a new addition to the Paphos district’s water supply sources, the plant will ensure the uninterrupted supply of water in the city, suburbs and communities of the district, Kadis added, explaining that the unit is estimated to supply more than five million cubic metres of drinking water annually.

The project is privately financed and will cover its construction within 18 months, and its operation and maintenance for 25 years. The plant has a maximum capacity of 15,000 cubic metres per day and can be on standby in periods of heavy rain, or operate in intermediate stages, depending on the available quantities of water at the Asprokremmos dam.

This project, he continued, is only one of multiple similar projects that have either been implemented or are being implemented in Paphos, which “create a very fertile urban, rural, fishing, tourist and business environment that will certainly contribute not only to the exit from the crisis, but also in shaping conditions for sustainable development and prosperity,” he said."

source: https://cyprus-mail.com/2021/04/08/46-d ... in-paphos/

Max
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Thats very good news about the de-salination plant! But I'm slightly surprised that the water it will produce will be used as drinking water. Is that correct? In other countries where desalination methods are used, I was under the impression that fresh ,treated water is prioritised as drinking water and de salinated water can be used to supplement other needs. Fresh water tastes much better.

Dee