Recommendations please for Online purchases to Cyprus

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
fishbeardsunset

Recommendations please for Online purchases to Cyprus

Post by fishbeardsunset »

Hi There

I 'm looking for some updated advice/help from anyone who has recently purchased goods, on-line and the best sites you have visited please
Essentially, as you are no doubt aware, due to the UK leaving the EU, websites that I used to use; like E-bay and maybe Amazon UK, are levying import charges. It's bad enough that the delivery/shipping charges can also be extremely expensive and in some cases can cost more than the value of the goods themselves :x .

I have also heard various people say that,in addition; you may also have to pay extra when you go to collect your parcel from the Post Office and something about VAT being charged... so it is all a bit bewildering to me and therefore would appreciate anyone who regularly buys goods to impart any knowledge they have on this subject.

Somebody in a shop recently, advised me to use Amazon DE (Germany) or in the case of E-bay, purchase directly from E.U vendors not the UK

As an example, I am trying to source buying a "Health Tracker" or smartwatch such as a Fitbit or Honor, that can monitor sleep tracking, and heart rate measurements so if anyone also has recommendations for a good model to buy that would also be appreciated. I have looked around in the shops, in Paphos but unfortunately places like Public were not very helpful and did not really have a good range of products :roll:

Sadie

Re: Recommendations please for Online purchases to Cyprus

Post by Sadie »

If you’re in need of a new mobile phone contract use Cyta, I got one free with my new contract
If you never ask the question, the answer will always be....no
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

They have a selection of Health Tracker Watches by the tills in the Sports Shop in the Mall on the top floor. Bought the wife an MI Smart Band 6 and it does everything she wants. You can spend from €20 to €200.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Wife got one from Electroline but that was a couple of years ago.
Galini

Post by Galini »

For items you used to buy from Amazon I can recommend that you now use Amazon Germany (Amazon.de) You can view the site in English and all of the items I have ordered through them this year have been delivered very quickly (within days) by UPS or DHL to my door.
Last edited by Galini on Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Galini wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:28 pm For items you used to buy from Amazon I can recommend that you now use Amazon Germany (Amazon.de.com) You can view the site in English and all of the items I have ordered through them this year have been delivered very quickly (within days) by UPS or DHL to my door.
Be careful, not all of the items, come from European countries, so you might still be hit with duty's.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Galini wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:28 pm For items you used to buy from Amazon I can recommend that you now use Amazon Germany (Amazon.de.com).
I think you need to leave out the .com at the end.
fishbeardsunset

:D Hi Thanks everyone for your suggestions and comments, which were extremely helpful.
I'll check out the other shops mentioned in Paphos as well 8-)
Galini

Post by Galini »

jeba wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:25 pm
Galini wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:28 pm For items you used to buy from Amazon I can recommend that you now use Amazon Germany (Amazon.de.com).
I think you need to leave out the .com at the end.
Well spotted Jeba, thanks - now edited
kansas

Post by kansas »

One of the last items we ordered from Amazon DE was actually shipped from the supplier in the UK. It hasn't arrived yet but it will be interesting to discover whether or not we pay extra charges. We've just ordered some supplements from DE. It says "despatched by Amazon" so we shall see if we have to pay extra on these too as the supplier is in the UK.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I can only guess, but I would guess that there would be extra to pay, unless the price is under the threshold
Trev..
Ams

Post by Ams »

kansas wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:34 pm One of the last items we ordered from Amazon DE was actually shipped from the supplier in the UK. It hasn't arrived yet but it will be interesting to discover whether or not we pay extra charges. We've just ordered some supplements from DE. It says "despatched by Amazon" so we shall see if we have to pay extra on these too as the supplier is in the UK.
I think if it's despatched from a Germany Amazon warehouse ("fullfilled by Amazon") you're ok, but if it is sent from the UK you will be charged. This happened to me and I was charged. The package was posted in UK, even though ordered and paid in Germany, and its total cost, including postage, was around €15, but I paid around €6 to the Cyprus post office if I remember right, 21% VAT and the standard €3.50 customs charges.

Since 1 July there is no minimum amount, everything goes through customs and is charged VAT. My package was posted in June, so I shouldn't have been charged, but since I picked it up from a sub post office there was no-one there I could argue it with.
fishbeardsunset

Ams wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:25 pm
kansas wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:34 pm One of the last items we ordered from Amazon DE was actually shipped from the supplier in the UK. It hasn't arrived yet but it will be interesting to discover whether or not we pay extra charges. We've just ordered some supplements from DE. It says "despatched by Amazon" so we shall see if we have to pay extra on these too as the supplier is in the UK.
I think if it's despatched from a Germany Amazon warehouse ("fullfilled by Amazon") you're ok, but if it is sent from the UK you will be charged. This happened to me and I was charged. The package was posted in UK, even though ordered and paid in Germany, and its total cost, including postage, was around €15, but I paid around €6 to the Cyprus post office if I remember right, 21% VAT and the standard €3.50 customs charges.

Since 1 July there is no minimum amount, everything goes through customs and is charged VAT. My package was posted in June, so I shouldn't have been charged, but since I picked it up from a sub post office there was no-one there I could argue it with.
Presumably then, do you have to look for items that specifically state "fulfilled by Amazon" or else what's the point of ordering from a German Company in the EU, if the point of dispatch happens to be the UK, also I though the vat rate for goods charged,was 19% not 21%
daveg

Post by daveg »

Ordered an item from Amazon De, came from China, no extra charges..... delivered to home address in Cyprus...
Think rules have recently changed....