If only I'd warned...

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jim B

Re: If only I'd warned...

Post by Jim B »

Alan . Did I specify any group, and I never suggested Lloyd was any more innocent than anyone else.
I keep asking why if his posts are tedious why don't you just block him or me or anyone else you disagree with.
Point to one one post in this thread that is a counter arguement to the attachment posted, there isn't one. As usual instead of proving or disproving the attachment the thread is just going off on a tangent into name calling.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Ah ok so its only this post we are allowed to reference?! Why should I block anyone? Perhaps a better suggestion is for them to stop constantly regurgitating the same tired arguments? There have been MANY counter arguments on the countless threads regarding Brexit. Yet it seems it’s never enough. I put it down to residual guilt at him not voting.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

They werent his predictions, they were articles copied and pasted from Twitter and Yahoo.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Les Bean wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:08 pm
Dominic wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:59 pm
Les Bean wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:53 pm

I didnt mention insults nor intend to, that's why name calling was in inverted commas. As regards response to questions asked it was mainly referring to his latest rant
I tend not to read them. And I am a remainer who dearly wanted the UK to remain in Europe. If somebody like me can't be bothered to read them any more, there is no chance that any of the Brexiters will be bothered to give them any more than a cursory glance.
In that case I would have thought you would have some sympathy with hic's frustration and anger that his (and other Remainers) scoffed at predictions are proving to be correct
I already answered that on this thread:
Dominic wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:05 am One thing I remember all the pro-Leave politicians saying was that it would initially be tough as the UK adjusted. They knew that, the voters that were paying attention knew that. Possibly the local pub bore who couldn't be arsed to go and vote didn't know that, but generally, people in the UK knew that there would be initial sacrifices. You could say it is rather like digging out all the old potato tubers before planting courgettes. A lot of effort with no obvious reward at the start, but in the end you've got a half decent ratatouille.

The UK workforce will have to adapt. Is this actually a bad thing? God forbid, being able to stand on your own two feet might, in the long term, turn out to be a major positive. It might mean an adjustment in wages, so that the higher up get paid less while the lower down get paid more, but would that really be so terrible? One thing this pandemic has really shown is who actually keeps the country running. It isn't the advertising executives, or office-based middle management. It is the frontline workers. If they have to be paid more to entice the UK unemployed to work, that may actually be for the benefit of the UK.

So waggle your reports from left-leaning newscasters about all you want. Very few people here will actually bother to read them. that is why no Brexiter has an opinion on them. They stopped reading your dirges a long time ago.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jimgym wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:07 pm Ah ok so its only this post we are allowed to reference?! Why should I block anyone? Perhaps a better suggestion is for them to stop constantly regurgitating the same tired arguments? There have been MANY counter arguments on the countless threads regarding Brexit. Yet it seems it’s never enough. I put it down to residual guilt at him not voting.
He's not regurgitating anything, it's current information as to what's happening here and now.
I can't say I've seen any counter arguements at all, just the same tired comments like Project Fear, Get Over it or your favourite "It was a democratic decision" and that sort of thing.
Now I could post many links to show Brexit is affecting people in Cyprus or that lead Brexiters initially said there would be no effect on leaving but what's the point, most of you don't bother reading them. I suppose ignorance is bliss.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

My last reply to you on this thread. You make assumptions based only on what suits your mindset. Anything that doesn’t for the Remainer narrative is ignored hence the lack of replies to the same comments.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jimgym wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:42 pm My last reply to you on this thread. You make assumptions based only on what suits your mindset. Anything that doesn’t for the Remainer narrative is ignored hence the lack of replies to the same comments.
Alan

I make assumptions on what I see and what I read just as you do.
Anything that you or any other Leaver posts, I read and then I fact check. At least I have the courtesy to read a post before I comment on it.
Please by all means put an arguement up to prove how well your Brexit is doing but don't shoot the messenger for proving it's not going very well at all.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I don't have any sympathy for HiC whatsoever! He was part of the reason that the leavers won the referendum. HiC doesn't show frustration and anger. He merely gloats about how bad he thinks Brexit is. Just look at the opening post to see that.

My post was answering your statement about his scoffed at predictions.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I disputed it in this very thread. That is why your rhetoric is so tiresome. You are like a deaf person shouting through a megaphone.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

An interesting link to Ian King, the financial reporter from Sky who always appeared to support Brexit.
Everything we post is the here and now, not five years ago when Brexit supporters were promised unicorns and sunny uplands, there was no mention of bumps in the road until much later when things started going wrong.after the UK actually left the EU..
Not one comment from any leave supporter about CE Certification and the damage it will do to the UK, maybe it's easier to slag off the messenger than actually put up a logical arguement.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Sorry, but I remember the leave campaign saying that there would be an adjustment period before the benefits of Brexit would happen. That is exactly what is happening now.

I also remember HiC saying that sterling would collapse to below a euro or thereabouts. That hasn't happened. The Leavers can't be bothered to put up arguments to counter his statements. He never listens to them. The subject is very dull now, and more tedious when unrelated threads become overtaken with Brexit rhetoric. We are probably all a bit guilty of that though.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I'm sorry Dominic but prior to the referendum they promised there would only be benefits, the adjustment period only came afterwards when things didn't go the way they said it would, have a look at number 1 in link 3.

https://www.politico.eu/article/15-thin ... t-got/amp/

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck ... -all-sides

https://www.snp.org/debunked-7-broken-brexit-promises/

True, the Euro never fell below the value of the pound although it did get pretty close and has never return to the halcyon days prior to the referendum.
The leavers as far as I can recall have never put up any arguement on this forum between them, I would think the only person who tried was Firefly while the rest just resort to personal attacks or ridicule. This section is supposed to be about Politics and yes like others I've been involved in taking over unrelated threads, guilty as charged. At least we try to add to the forum and to many of us the subject of Brexit isn't dull or tedious.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Jim B is correct, there was little put forward by the Leave party which wasn't all wine and roses and when it was pointed out the problems which would arise, nobody would listen.

Now, these things are coming to fruition.

I don't really care anymore if they want to listen or not. The evidence is there right in front of their noses.

As most of you know, me and my other half deal online selling items worldwide and the hosting company of our website has a very active forum.

Almost every single site there now which is UK based have stopped selling their products outside of UK due to the vast changes since Brexit. The paperwork is mental, also touched upon here a few times now it's becoming more difficult and costly for Cyprus residents getting their goodies in from their UK folks.

So far, those changes haven't caused problems for us due to the items we sell and 99% of them leave as a small letter so don't get looked at too closely. But odd ones have been problematic and now we have a rider which says the customer for international orders is responsible for any applicable charges of customs duty fees in the destination country.

One such item sent recently is still sitting at Larnaka airport since 28 August. It's an expensive package and a new customer to our website.

We now have to decide with our other stuff we sell online whether we ship outside of UK or not. It's becoming a real pain for small businesses.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Surely its the same as if you sold something to the US or Japan?
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Dominic wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:47 am Surely its the same as if you sold something to the US or Japan?
But the whole point it wasn't before Brexit, it was just like posting a parcel from Manchester to Leeds.
You yourself have seen on Paphos Chat people complaing about import duty and handling charges on Birthday Presents. You read of people trying to deal with immigration when before it was a quick 20 minute visit and walk out with a yellow slip.
Brexit has had a big effect on people's lives in Cyprus unless their living in a bubble.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Jim B wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:34 am
But the whole point it wasn't before Brexit,
We used to have to have someone walk in front of the cars with a red flag but we don’t anymore; things have moved on!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Dominic wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:47 am Surely its the same as if you sold something to the US or Japan?
But the whole point it wasn't before Brexit, it was just like posting a parcel from Manchester to Leeds.
You yourself have seen on Paphos Chat people complaing about import duty and handling charges on Birthday Presents. You read of people trying to deal with immigration when before it was a quick 20 minute visit and walk out with a yellow slip.
Brexit has had a big effect on people's lives in Cyprus unless their living in a bubble.
No that's not the whole point. Photolady said they shipped worldwide. If that was the case, then EU shippings would now be treated like any other international order.

If they only shipped to the EU then I agree, it would be a lot more hassle. The post office now slap duty on everything. And what has immigration got to do with a comment about postage?
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Dominic wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:54 pm
No that's not the whole point. Photolady said they shipped worldwide. If that was the case, then EU shippings would now be treated like any other international order.

If they only shipped to the EU then I agree, it would be a lot more hassle. The post office now slap duty on everything. And what has immigration got to do with a comment about postage?
I thought the whole thread was about the effects of Brexit rather than postage and presently postage and immigration in Cyprus are being affected by Brexit as well as many other things
Unlike the Aguila I can at least see the effects Brexit is having on Brits living in Cyprus and I'm not including shortages of Marmite.
Things are the way the are because people didn't understand the ramifications of what would happen or weren't really bothered.
You know its the little things that come out of woodwork; like what will be the position of British kids when they reach 18 and that sort of thing, but anyway I digress
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

With respect, most of you live in Cyprus and are barely affected by Brexit.

Lloyd has a business affected by Brexit.

I live in the UK, have Cyprus properties, I am severely affected by Brexit and now Covid effects. Both in the UK and my Cypriot connections/business etc.

Dominic, you find the topic tiresome. Again, with respect, it’s still a hotly debated topic and without them, the forum would be dull, in my opinion.

Brexit is affecting the UK more and more with each week and month. We are about to hit the shit of the partial relaxations ending and then imports will be severely affected - as will exports.

While some feel the topic gets repeated, it is with new news of effects.

Prior to the vote, the Leave side were not truthful about what would happen. The prime movers told a story of little effect and milk and honey. Everything else was project fear. There are many YouTube testaments from Johnson, Gove and many others if you can be bothered. All make out we would never leave without open trade etc. Etc.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I shall leave you to thrash it out amongst yourselves. Just keep it off the general page.