Shipping

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
swanhouse

Shipping

Post by swanhouse »

Is there anybody who brought a container to Cyprus over from Uk within the last year or so? If yes can you give us approximetly prices and names of freight companys as we are looking to find a reliable and good price company to bring our stuff over.

One other thing about the inventory, I was wondering, how detailed does it needs to be? for example, do you list how many plates, spoons, frying pans, or you just mention cutlery, crockery , kitchen utensils?the other thing is about import duties, I understand that if you are moving out there permanently, you don’t have to pay, you only pay for the container and port clearance. Some shipping container companies don’t arrange a clearance agent at the port, which means you need to find one yourself, do you know of anyone or one you might have used?And is there any paperwork to be done beforehand, document needed, etc,?also thinking about including some appliances on the container, do you think it’s a good idea? As we all know how difficult it is to get hold of some decent stuff over in Cyprus. And are there any limitations as to how many you are entitled to ship for you own household, so can you take 2 TVs for example, or 2 cookers, etc,hope those guys who had a bit of experience can answer this, and any other tips would be greatly appreciated.thanks
trevnhil

Re: Shipping

Post by trevnhil »

It is a long while since we moved over so I have no advice re containers or prices.
But I do want to mention that you are wrong when you say "As we all know how difficult it is to get hold of some decent stuff over in Cyprus."
Where ever did you get that information from. Just look online at some of the electric stores here in Paphos and see what they have to offer.
And also think about what you are going to do if, for instance, you bring a new guaranteed TV over and it goes wrong. Where are you going to take it back to ???

Good Luck with your Move
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Getting white goods in Cyprus isn't a problem at all.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

swanhouse wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:46 pm Is there anybody who brought a container to Cyprus over from Uk within the last year or so? If yes can you give us approximetly prices and names of freight companys as we are looking to find a reliable and good price company to bring our stuff over.

One other thing about the inventory, I was wondering, how detailed does it needs to be? for example, do you list how many plates, spoons, frying pans, or you just mention cutlery, crockery , kitchen utensils?the other thing is about import duties, I understand that if you are moving out there permanently, you don’t have to pay, you only pay for the container and port clearance. Some shipping container companies don’t arrange a clearance agent at the port, which means you need to find one yourself, do you know of anyone or one you might have used?And is there any paperwork to be done beforehand, document needed, etc,?also thinking about including some appliances on the container, do you think it’s a good idea? As we all know how difficult it is to get hold of some decent stuff over in Cyprus. And are there any limitations as to how many you are entitled to ship for you own household, so can you take 2 TVs for example, or 2 cookers, etc,hope those guys who had a bit of experience can answer this, and any other tips would be greatly appreciated.thanks
Don't know where you get your info from, but its twenty years out of date, there is nothing you can't get here now, don't forget since brexit, there will be duty to pay on stuff you bring over from the UK.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Peter Morton Removals: https://www.petermortonremovals.com/

RSS Logistics: http://rsslogistics.com/

Both come highly recommended by people who have moved personal effects, furniture, vehicles and pets to Cyprus in recent years and offer
door to door services. Best to contact them with specific questions as they have up to date knowledge especially as so much has changed since the beginning of the year due to Brexit.

If you bring beds over then yes I suggest bringing bed linen as the sizes are different in Cyprus.
Fridge/freezers need to be able to cope with the summer temperatures so a UK device may not be suitable.

Other than that there is plenty of choice of high quality items available and certainly worth having items that have a valid warranty here.
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

We has used Chudleigh International twice and been very happy with them on both occasions. At this end they partner with Peter Morron who will the deliver your stuff, again been very happy with them. All,the paperwork is part of their job, not sure lost Brexit but I think you may be entitled to one move of personal belongings but the remover will be the best source of advice on that.

As per comments above, if you have existing white goods to bring over fair enough, but for white goods all the major brands are widely available with warranty.

Ian
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

It's many years ago now but we didn't bring anything electrical except for our fridge/freezer from UK in 2004.
We purchased a washing machine and two TVs after we arrived as well as a freezer and a small drinks fridge to keep us going until our container arrived at Limassol port just down the road from us.

We bought two new European single size beds and mattresses on a Saturday late morning and they were delivered to our rental property along with me in the van within an hour of paying for them.

Two leather sofas from the local auction house followed sometime later to replace the one we brought with us. Both sofas were 7ft long, brand new and cost €190 for the pair. We brought them back with us to UK 5yrs ago and still have them now...

We used Britannia to ship us from UK and Peter Morton going back, teamed with Chudleigh at the UK end.

Very happy with the service at each end on both shipments.

We had an excel sheet with box numbers and a description of the basic contents. This was just prior to Cyprus joining the EU in May 2004 and the only concern was brand new electrical items which we may have had to pay import duties on but as ours was all used, it didn't apply.

Better to contact some shipping agents in UK to find out what the up to date information is as paperwork procedure is an ever changing process.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

When we came over most shipping companies were similar on price, we ended up using the one that had the nearest depot to where we lived and ended up using Brittania
David
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

When we moved wee didn't bring a full container so it was 'Groupage ' [ I love that word ] Contact your local BAR company and they will arrange everything including this end. Ours was delivered here by Orbit not a single hitch either end. But as was said Brexit will have changed charges so aask the company your want to deal with.
Alastair

Nil illigitimi carborundum
tina

Post by tina »

we all know how difficult it is to get hold of some decent stuff over in Cyprus.

Oh yes cause Cyprus is on a different planet
swanhouse

Post by swanhouse »

Hey guys thank you all for your input,
Your comments have been very helpful and appreciated.
However I didn’t appreciate the sarcastic comments from Tina about Cyprus being on a different planet, I thought that was a bit unkind.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Andrews shipping, have used them for container, cars, and smaller shipments, never let us down.
tina

Post by tina »

Swanhouse,
I was Not being sarcastic or unkind at all but when you hear tourists /visitors say "well i didn't think you would get that over here" eg basset jelly babies, marmite (im a marmite baby myself).
That's why i said Cyprus on different planet.
Last edited by tina on Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

tina

swanhouse did not come across as a tourist / visitor to me (although he / she probably was at some point)
He / She was asking for information on shipping and availability of white goods etc which is a fair question if you have not tried to purchase these in Cyprus previously you would not be aware of the availability of decent stuff in Cyprus. This is another example of someone new to the forum being quickly given a savaging by someone who rarely posts, If you cannot give some positive input to a newcomer then why bother at all ? And you were being Sarcastic and Unkind.
swanhouse

Post by swanhouse »

This forum is amazing,
I am so touched by all those who took the time to support and help a new comer to the forum like myself, so please allow me to say thank you again for your time, what a wonderful thing to be able to share our experience with one another, it shows a true sense of community and that is the whole point of the forum, and thank you Trans Am for your supportive comments and for sticking up for a novice, I found that very encouraging, very well put.
Hope you all stay safe and God bless
swanhouse

Post by swanhouse »

Hi to all,
Has anyone taken a separate insurance for their shipping container from the UK, I think it’s called a Goods in Transit cover,
The shipping companies normally charge an additional cover of about 3%of the value of the contents which I think is quiet expensive,
If the goods let’s say are worth £10k the additional cover will be £300 plus 12% IPT, no idea what that is.
Hope someone can enlighten us on this,
Many thanks
JimX

Post by JimX »

Trevour is correct with his posting, while some items are not available here, most you would need are, I recommend Burke Bros for your shipping needs..

https://burkebros.co.uk/
Jim.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

swanhouse wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:46 am Hi to all,
Has anyone taken a separate insurance for their shipping container from the UK, I think it’s called a Goods in Transit cover,
The shipping companies normally charge an additional cover of about 3%of the value of the contents which I think is quiet expensive,
If the goods let’s say are worth £10k the additional cover will be £300 plus 12% IPT, no idea what that is.
Hope someone can enlighten us on this,
Many thanks
Hi, it's a few years ago now but we did the same in both directions going to Cyprus from UK in 2004 and upon returning to UK 5yrs ago....

We chose only to insure specific items within our container which were more expensive and costly to replace.

We used Britannia removals from UK and Peter Morton when we left Cyprus.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

In the unlikely event your container gets washed overboard from the ship it wa secured to, without Insurance you receive nothing. These things do happen.