Cyprus Almost in Deep Red

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Mike J

Cyprus Almost in Deep Red

Post by Mike J »

According to the ECDC and hence the President’s address the other night :
“ the cumulative numbers this week for the whole Cyprus is 529 cases per 100,000 of population , which according to ECDC is borderline for deep red.
It is reminded that on 26 February it was 168.7/100,000, on 5 March 263.5/100,000 and last week 397.3/100,000.
Regarding the situation in hospitals, it seems that the bigger number of daily admissions is from the District of Limassol, while there is also increase in the admissions from the District of Nicosia. As far as admissions per age group are concerned, it seems that most people are younger than 60. “
I was in Limassol today and yesterday and whilst wild horses wouldn’t have got me into the various coffee shops where social distancing lasts as long as the first person to move the table and chairs closer to the people they want to sit with the mask wearing has really improved. Very few chin warmers now , most are wearing them properly . Still these latest figures will , if they continue, do no good to our dear deputy minister of tourism wish for a May 1st avalanche of tourists in just 6 weeks time .
Lincoln

Re: Cyprus Almost in Deep Red

Post by Lincoln »

The fact of the matter is that Limassol should have been shut down. There is no reason why they still cannot close the place down now. Stop the spread of the killer Virus.
All things are possible
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Couldn't agree with you more, Lincoln.I have been saying the same thing myself.
Limassol should be locked down to try to stop the spread of the virus. In fact it should have been locked down about 3 weeks ago. But maybe better late than never.

Mind you every time I say this, HIC attacks!

Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Those stats are pretty meaningless for inter-country comparison. Any country with decent track and trace will be heavily penalised for it. They only show merit for comparing how one country is doing over time.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Varky

Post by Varky »

Dominic wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:11 pm Those stats are pretty meaningless for inter-country comparison. Any country with decent track and trace will be heavily penalised for it. They only show merit for comparing how one country is doing over time.
Are you saying that everything in the garden is rosy?.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Varky wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:35 pm
Dominic wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:11 pm Those stats are pretty meaningless for inter-country comparison. Any country with decent track and trace will be heavily penalised for it. They only show merit for comparing how one country is doing over time.
Are you saying that everything in the garden is rosy?.
Not at all. I am pointing out that if you want to check how the roses are doing you should measure them, rather than report on the overall weather conditions.

Simply put, the most important statistic in all this is how the hospitals are coping. At the moment, they are nearly at capacity, which is not good. I think if that was highlighted to the public, rather than just telling them to wear masks etc, then that would get more people on board.

Simply put, tell people they should be wearing masks because the hospitals are full. That is the fundamental issue, and it is true.
lotus

Post by lotus »

I get the opinion that the majority of the people not conforming to social distancing etc don't give a toss about hospitals nearly full,they are just selfish people thinking about themselves and not caring about what effect their actions have on others,this is not just Cyprus!
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Certainly the hospitals must need more bed spaces. Operations are being cancelled at Private hospitals, freeing up more bed spaces for Covid Patients..
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

lotus wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:39 am I get the opinion that the majority of the people not conforming to social distancing etc don't give a toss about hospitals nearly full,they are just selfish people thinking about themselves and not caring about what effect their actions have on others,this is not just Cyprus!
I disagree. The people I talk to who are against lockdown are of the opinion that COVID isn't as bad as people are making it out to be. It is nothing to do with not giving a toss about other people. They just don't believe it to be the issue it is. This is why I think they should place a greater emphasis on the state of the hospitals.
lotus

Post by lotus »

Covid isn't so bad? You're having a laugh,try telling that to all the families who have lost relatives,until you can get the importance of wearing masks,social distancing etc into people's heads things will take ages to improve,you only have to look around in Limassol to see these bloody numb nuts parading around with out a thought of others,I go back to an earlier post of mine where I said they should vaccinate the younger section first then proceed to us oldies,at the end of the day it's the younger generation partying and not so much the older one who I think by and large are more sensible
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, I agree. But, no one knows how this virus may affect them. It would be a form of poetic justice if some of these don't care people in turn develop covid and find that the hospitals being full, are having to turn away new cases away...

Lotus, they had to vaccinate the older people first since those who got the virus were often ending up in the Hospitals and filling the ICU's. Many died.

I wonder if HIC's present attitude has sprung from when he and his wife received their first vaccine jabs?

Dee
Last edited by Kili01 on Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

lotus wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:24 am Covid isn't so bad? You're having a laugh,try telling that to all the families who have lost relatives,until you can get the importance of wearing masks,social distancing etc into people's heads things will take ages to improve,you only have to look around in Limassol to see these bloody numb nuts parading around with out a thought of others,I go back to an earlier post of mine where I said they should vaccinate the younger section first then proceed to us oldies,at the end of the day it's the younger generation partying and not so much the older one who I think by and large are more sensible
I didn't say "Covid isn't so bad". I said that a lot of people think that. The way to get them to see sense is to highlight what the situation is actually like in hospitals.

And frankly, given how rude you always appear to be to the younger generations, why the heck should they care about you?
lotus

Post by lotus »

I am not being rude to the younger generation ,I was young once,it appears that they on the whole are causing most of the new outbreaks with their defiance of the covid rules not just in Cyprus but everywhere
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Kili01 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:28 am Yes, I agree. But, no one knows how this virus may affect them. It would be a form of poetic justice if some of these don't care people in turn develop covid and find that the hospitals being full, are having to turn away new cases away...

Lotus, they had to vaccinate the older people first since those who got the virus were often ending up in the Hospitals and filling the ICU's. Many died.

I wonder if HIC's present attitude has sprung from when he and his wife received their first vaccine jabs?

Dee
Do you really wonder that? I find that odd, as he has been saying the same thing for the last year or so.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes. I agree with you fundamentally, HIC in what you say about trying to keep businesses going; but the trick is to balance things so that the hospitals are able to cope with all the cases of the virus and are not overwhelmed. At present we are told that they are very close to being full.

If everyone tried to obey the health protocols and restrained their desire to party, we probably wouldn't be in the present situation of around 400 new cases per day..

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:00 am Yes. I agree with you fundamentally, HIC in what you say about trying to keep businesses going; but the trick is to balance things so that the hospitals are able to cope with all the cases of the virus and are not overwhelmed. At present we are told that they are very close to being full.

If everyone tried to obey the health protocols and restrained their desire to party, we probably wouldn't be in the present situation of around 400 new cases per day..

Dee
I think the majority are obeying the health protocols, there is a small minority that party, not everyone as you put it.
lotus

Post by lotus »

I agree with you WHL (not often!😏) did you see the anti lockdown protesters on the news last night? London and abroad somewhere,hundreds of them all mask less and crowded together ,bloody idiots
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

In the UK the Government built 'Nightingale Hospitals' to take the stress off of the NHS. They are now being dismantled after not having been used, or very little used during the 1st and 2nd waves. It all seems to hinge on 'protect the NHS' yet to my knowledge it has not approached being overrun by patients even in the more serious second wave.

I was struck by a comment in the early days when home working had gone to 44% and the CMO thought it a good thing and intimated that it was the future! I suspect that longer term, this pandemic will be the catalyst for socio-economic change akin to the Industrial Revolution.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
merchant_banker

Post by merchant_banker »

873,784 jabs in last 24 hours WOW WOW Well done the NHS - I wonder how this compares with the EU?
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Diocletian,

The Nightingale hospitals should have been used solely for Corvid patients, instead of putting them together with non sufferers in general hospitals. I believe that this has lead to many more deaths of people who would still be with us now.

The sad truth is that they didn't have the staff to run them.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.