Government cancels all operations in Cyprus ...

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
MacManiac

Government cancels all operations in Cyprus ...

Post by MacManiac »

My wife was due to have her cataracts removed on Tuesday in Paphos. Yesterday her consultant ophthalmologist telephoned her and told her that the Cyprus government has cancelled all operations with immediate effect. He explained he did not understand their decision but, as a result of this decree, my wife’s procedure would have to be postponed.

I would hate to be the bearer of fake news. I have not seen any publicity about this and it would undoubtedly be a major news item. Her ophthalmologist speaks fluent English and there was no question of my wife misunderstanding him.

We cannot think what might be the background to this. There was an article in the Cyprus Mail which stated that hospitals were filling rapidly but ... a procedure under local anaesthetic hardly merits a stay in hospital.

If anyone else has heard this, it would be interesting to know.
galexinda

Re: Government cancels all operations in Cyprus ...

Post by galexinda »

MOH read an announcement to me yesterday (Saturday) morning that all operations had been cancelled with effect from 01:00 hrs on Saturday 13 March - on FB but now unable to find the topic.

On FB this morning people are quoting statements that they cannot have diagnostic tests and appointments to see doctors have been cancelled.

Yet to see anything in the media or official announcement. Recent articles do not refer to these changes:
FRIDAY: https://cyprus-mail.com/2021/03/12/coro ... -hospital/
SUNDAY: https://cyprus-mail.com/2021/03/14/coro ... conundrum/

About to have a quick look around the various official sites to see if I can find anything.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

A Google translation from Pafos Press so it's a bit vague:
All surgeries in private hospitals are postponed - Form of "order" by the Ministry. Health - March 13, 2021

'All private hospitals in Cyprus are entering a form of order following a decision of the Ministry of Health in order to address the increased need for hospitalization of covid-19 patients in public hospitals.

According to information from PafosPress, after a communication that patients had with us, their scheduled surgery was postponed. The excuse given to them is that there is an instruction from the Ministry of Health to put private hospitals in Cyprus on alert so that they can meet the needs that may arise from admissions that would take place in public hospitals.

In short, they want empty beds in the private sector to accommodate patients who would go to the public so that those beds can meet the internal needs of hospitals due to the operation of covid-19 wards at Paphos and Larnaca General Hospitals.

All this sounds alarming at the moment when the government announced relaxations from Monday'.

https://pafospress.com/anavallontai-ola ... eia-sta-i/
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

I do appreciate your research and thank you for making this clear. Ann can have her cataracts done in the future. But the underlying message is worrying. How close are the public hospitals to being overwhelmed?
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Just received this PM:

(l) Visits to hospitals, clinics, medical and diagnostic centers are prohibited, except in urgent and exceptional cases, with the approval of the Director of the institution,

(m) Visits to nursing homes, nursing homes, centers for the chronically ill, structures and hostels for vulnerable groups, transitional hostels, day care centers, child protection structures, subject to the guidelines of the Guidelines and Guidelines, Insurance,

👎 With effect from March 13, 2021 at 01.00 am. scheduled public surgeries for non-emergency surgeries and admissions for patients whose health condition allows and no danger or threat to human life is postponed in all public and private hospitals and visits for cold (non-emergency) treatment are canceled incidents
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

galexinda wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:17 pm Just received this PM:

(l) Visits to hospitals, clinics, medical and diagnostic centers are prohibited, except in urgent and exceptional cases, with the approval of the Director of the institution,

(m) Visits to nursing homes, nursing homes, centers for the chronically ill, structures and hostels for vulnerable groups, transitional hostels, day care centers, child protection structures, subject to the guidelines of the Guidelines and Guidelines, Insurance,

👎 With effect from March 13, 2021 at 01.00 am. scheduled public surgeries for non-emergency surgeries and admissions for patients whose health condition allows and no danger or threat to human life is postponed in all public and private hospitals and visits for cold (non-emergency) treatment are canceled incidents

Thank you.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Apparently only in Greek at the moment and I have been sent an English translation but it is 25 pages long. It begins:

'OFFICIAL GAZETTE OF THE REPUBLIC OF CYPRUS
ANNEX THREE
PART I REGULATORY ADMINISTRATIVE ACTS
Friday, March 12, 2021 763
THE PREFECTURE FOR DESTRUCTION, CHAPTER 260 ___________
Decree pursuant to Article 6 (a), (b), (c), (d), (e) and (g)
The Minister of Health, exercising the powers given to him.....'
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I think that I get the gist of this, it appears that all private and public hospitals and every other medical or diagnostic facility is now on standby for covid cases.
It's a bit worrying though and has been very poorly explained. It's almost as if the country has suddenly gone to war on Covid.
I guess that will we find out more in due course.

How can this be compatible with any easing of existing 'measures' to open restaurants, bars etc as from Tuesday? And starting the curfew later at night, from Tuesday.
Dee.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Kili01 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:22 pm How can this be compatible with any easing of existing 'measures' to open restaurants, bars etc as from Tuesday? And starting the curfew later at night, from Tuesday.
Dee.
The country cannot stay in lockdown for ever and needs to start trading again before it’s bankrupt. This is their way of preparing for hospitalisations which they deem will be inevitable with the unlocking of the hospitality sector.

I think that because the most vulnerable in society has now been vaccinated then it’s a gamble worth taking.

As long as the general public still take the necessary precautions then the hospital beds may not be needed.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

'There were 79 people in hospital with the virus on March 2; a mere nine days later, on March 11, that number had more than doubled to 185 – a truly spectacular increase'.

'A Covid-19 ward is to be created at Paphos state hospital'

From links to articles in my earlier post.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, and I think that they need help from private hospitals to help staff the projected new Covid ward at Paphos General...

Dee
Varky

Post by Varky »

I am totally confused as to whether I can attend an oncology clinic at Limassol General Hospital next Wednesday or an private optical optical clinic on Thursday.

I don't see how attending a clinic that has no bed facility is going to alleviate any shortage of Covid-19 bed spaces.

I thought the new directions were only postponing non-essential operations (which would take up bed spaces}.

And then on May 1st.tourists will be allowed in as long as they have received both Covid19 vaccination doses, which will not prevent people getting the virus or prevent them spreading the virus.

Don't ask me what the overall solution is but a bit of logic wouldn't go amiss.
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

So people can eat out but my long awaited appointment with the rheumatologist and neurosurgeon is cancelled....mmmm seems fair 😡
If you never ask the question, the answer will always be....no
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

My personal view on this is that if you already have appointments to see doctors or to have treatment it is best to telephone to check it is going ahead.

The clinics and hospitals are trying to reduce the number of people actually going to them eg I was at a clinic on Friday and a man came in just to make an appointment for his wife with her Personal Doctor - this should have been done by phone, similar to repeat prescription requests.

More importantly, no visitors are allowed and only people accompanying children or the very infirm are permitted to enter.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

It's also very hard for people waiting for knee and hip surgery as their treatment will be affected.
I know that some people on this forum are willing to sacrifice the interference to normal medical treatments here, in exchange for being able to work, but what the Govt here are doing allowing more things to open must be a bit of a gambol. So far only a minority of the population has been vaccinated.

Judging by the news coming from the UK it sounds as if Brits will be told not to come here as they will be told which countries they may visit without being subject to 2 weeks quarantine
on their return.
Dee
lefkes

Post by lefkes »

I have an appointment with my doctor this week for a medical for renewing a driving licence which runs out two days later . Can I assume local doctors are stlll seeing patients .
Lefkes.
Varky

Post by Varky »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:53 pm Varky, if you read galexinda's messages, you will see that it is 'non-urgent' treatment which is cancelled. I would have thought your attending an oncology centre would be urgent.
I agree with you. I have already decided that come what may I am going to attend the hospital.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

As there has been no other mention at all about this in the media or from other official sources and the only confirmation I have seen so far are comments from people like Macmaniac that some people have had operations cancelled, I intend to go for previously booked appointments, tests etc.

I feel this particular government notification was directed at the private clinics to clarify their position - not the general public.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/s ... cond-wave/

This Sun article refers to a Scottish University study into Hospital Acquired Infection of Covid and it’s pretty damning, that a large percentage of serious Covid comes from people in hospital. I.e. community spread is not as serious as Hospital spread.

This has been known. For some time, but not quantified. In fact, I have been told by some clinicians that Johnson and others have been suppressing the data and still blaming other sources where people are locked down….
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

But this is not concerning operations in Cyprus hospitals cancelled by the Cypriot Government
Trev..