Our Net Metering System

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Anarita John

Our Net Metering System

Post by Anarita John »

Our first full year with our Net Metering System, installed by Greenair. Since having it fitted, we have had a pool heater installed, a solar cover, as well as a Quantum Ultra Violet Pool system and recently, a Lorenz solar powered pool pump.

Firstly our pool system. The heater was the best thing we have ever bought. It has allowed us to swim almost every day throughout the winter. We missed ten days at the end of January and seven days in February. Initially, we had the water temperature at around 24c, but when we realised we would have spare units, we increased the temperature to between 28c and 30c. The cost for heating has been low, with us using around 21 kwh through the meter per day, costing around €0.90. The Lorenz solar pump has dramatically reduced the amount of chemicals used in our pool. I am looking after the pool now and at present have just one chlorine tablet in a floater and the oxygen level is over 5. Since running the pool pump for long periods, we have not had to put any of the oxygen chemical that Greenair gave us initially. I have learnt that the main thing is to keep an eye on the phosphate levels. No phosphates, no algae. The Lorenz pump, because it is working during daylight hours, along with the Quantum, which uses ultra violet light to kill algae, has been brilliant for pool hygiene.

Our 5kwh photovoltaic system has produced 8377 kw of electricity. My estimate, with what we have used from the meter during the year, is that we have saved around €1300. The new system of charging for net metering has saved us around €25, as we now pay a small amount (€0.0428519 per unit incl vat)

Today our meter was read so we have given 450 kw back to EAC and we start again at zero. Today we have used exactly the same as we consumed. We had the pool heater on for two hours to maintain the temperature at 29c whilst we swam. We produced 12kw of electricity and have used exactly 12 kw.
sunspot

Re: Our Net Metering System

Post by sunspot »

Thank you for that info, Anarita John. Greenair are in the process of installing for us some of the same equipment: pool heater, Quantum system, PV panels and net metering. It is helpful to know the results you have achieved.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

sunspot wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:17 am Thank you for that info, Anarita John. Greenair are in the process of installing for us some of the same equipment: pool heater, Quantum system, PV panels and net metering. It is helpful to know the results you have achieved.
Sunspot, you only can optimize the equipment you ordered from Green Air with the installation of a Lorenz solar pool pump, in order to circulate and filter the pool water from sunrise to sunset, reducing electricity consumption as well as maintenance....It should be installed from every pool owner in my opinion and works like a small PV stand alone system.

Max
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

I would recommend the Lorenz solar pump, especially if you intend to heat your pool. Our pool pump used 1.6kw per hour. In the past, we used to run it for 2 hours a day in winter and 4 hours per day in summer. We now know that, to cut down on chemical use, it needs to be on much longer. It was when we started heating the pool in the winter, and we were running our pump for longer periods, that we noticed how much cleaner our pool was. We were having to put the chemical Greenair supplied in weekly. However, since running the pump for longer periods and having the Lorenz solar pool pump fitted we have not needed to put any chemicals in the pool except for the one, 3 in 1 chlorine tablet in a floater, which, when it is half dissolved, we add another.
Sunspot, I am sure you will be really happy with the work Greenair do.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Anarita John wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:10 pm We produced 12kw of electricity and have used exactly 12 kw.
John, I wonder how many kW/h you produced on a windy, cold day like yesterday, or today? Must be much more than the 12 kW/h you mentioned in your post.?

Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Can only echo the comments on the pool pump. It makes pool cleaning MUCH less arduous.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

Anarita John and cyprusmax47, thanks for your comments. We asked Greenair about Lorenz pump. They said it is not necessary in our case because the pool heater will be powered by the PV panels on our roof.

We will have an overflow pool. When we want to swim in winter, we need to turn off the valve to the balancing tank during the heating, a couple of hours before swimming. Do not have to do that, but it will save money. Then the water will warm up just like a standard pool. Anarita John's comments made us decide that we will definitely heat the pool. We had been vacillating.
daveg

Post by daveg »

Definitely recommend the pool pump PV system, mine is a stand alone system.....well worth the outlay, which was around €2500 a few years ago...
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

I understand that net-metering is being replaced by a new system net-billing, at least for new installations. Does anybody know the whys and wherefores of this? Probably to give more money to the EAC! :-(
jeba

Post by jeba »

Devil wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:09 am I understand that net-metering is being replaced by a new system net-billing, at least for new installations. Does anybody know the whys and wherefores of this? Probably to give more money to the EAC! :-(
I´m not sure what you´re refering to. If you mean the new billing system which was introduced last year I can report that my bill is now considerably lower as the basic fees which are independent of usage are much lower. In exchange you now have to pay about 3.xx Cents for reimported electricity (I guess for using the public grid).
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

4 of our bi monthly bills were much cheaper under the new net metering charges and the two winter bills were more expensive. The point where your electricity becomes more expensive under the new system is if you are using more than 1200kwh of electricity through the meter. We are €29.89 better off under the new system of charges. Instead of a flat rate charge for net metering of €50.29 per two month billing period, we are now charged €0.0428519 per unit, including VAT, for electricity that goes through the meter. Last year, (pre covid) we were not in Cyprus from 1st December till the 1st of February, and had two bills, where we had used very little electricity, of over €50. For people who use little electricity the new charges are much fairer. Even for us, and we use the air con freely in the bedrooms during the summer, the new system of charging is fairer. It is for big users that it is more expensive.