Low water this morning at Paphos harbour...

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Low water this morning at Paphos harbour...

Post by cyprusmax47 »

As I check the webcams not only for sunset moods, today this early morning I realised very low water at the harbour Elean webcam.... :)

Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Low water this morning at Paphos harbour...

Post by Dominic »

Oooh goody we haven't had a tide argument for a while. :lol:
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Perf with surf
David
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Dominic wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:18 am Oooh goody we haven't had a tide argument for a while. :lol:
Nowt to do with tide! Everything to do with the distribution of atmospheric pressure over the whole of the Mediterranean.
staffie

Post by staffie »

probably it's because my darling wife just emerged out of the sea, 🌊
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Devil wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:42 am
Dominic wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:18 am Oooh goody we haven't had a tide argument for a while. :lol:
Nowt to do with tide! Everything to do with the distribution of atmospheric pressure over the whole of the Mediterranean.
You must be great fun at parties.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

staffie wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:57 am probably it's because my darling wife just emerged out of the sea, 🌊
Brave man...
WHL

Post by WHL »

staffie wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:57 am probably it's because my darling wife just emerged out of the sea, 🌊
You got a death wish or something :lol:
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Devil wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:42 am
It has everything to do with tides. As you may be aware if there is a Full Moon then that means there will be what is called. A Low Low tide followed by a High High tide. Very useful to sailors entering difficult anchorages. :mrgreen:
All things are possible
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Lincoln wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:41 am It has everything to do with tides. As you may be aware if there is a Full Moon then that means there will be what is called. A Low Low tide followed by a High High tide. Very useful to sailors entering difficult anchorages. :mrgreen:
If Cyprus were on the ocean, I would agree with you that tides could be a major factor in sealevel. However, Cyprus is not on the ocean but on a relatively small sea, therefore with a small tidal range of less than 10 cm between high spring tide and low neap tide. The changes of water level due to the difference of atmospheric pressure between the East, Middle and West areas of the Mediterranean are much more important in pushing the water from one end of the sea to the other. At the moment, the atmospheric pressure here is at approximately 1020 hectopascal (hPa) which is high while somewhere to the west it will be at approximately 950 hPa, so the water has flowed away from this end.

You can see in the attached NASA map that the Mediterranean basin is mostly the deepest blue, indicating tides of less than 10 cm. The white zones on the map indicate tidal nodes, where there is no difference between high water and low water. You will be able to discern (just) that there is a small node in the eastern Mediterranean; I think it may be well offshore from the Libyan coast but I am not certain. There are also many articles concerning the various aspects of tide and water level that can be found in Wikipedia. Unless you specifically ask for one, I prefer not to quote them, simply requesting that you can find them yourself with a search.
M2_tidal_constituent[1].jpg
M2_tidal_constituent[1].jpg (115.42 KiB) Viewed 3584 times
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Venice, also in the Med, suffers from very low tide these days, watch the video.....

https://news.yahoo.com/low-tide-leaves- ... 00350.html

Max
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

When we had our catamaran it was sometimes critical to know the exact depth of the water to within 10-15 cm - miscalculated once when navigating a narrow channel with sifting sands (the depth sounder was located in one hull), so we waited for the sea level to rise sufficiently to float us off. We waved at the people on monohulls who were in the deep channel - they just thought we had stopped for lunch!
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:51 pm Come on Jim, we're all waiting for your take on this ;) :lol:
Like many I found this subject of tides entertaining & Jim played it till the end :D :D :D
JimX

Post by JimX »

Oh dear still it makes a change from the usual Covid stuff..

It is not tidal issue as Pafos doesn't have one it is just low water that happens once a year, so not tidel, I think some here never venture to the coast...thanks for that baiting Lloyd...
Jim.
trireme

Post by trireme »

Thursday 04/03/21

High Tide....0053 hrs.....0.25 m.
Low Tide.....0655 hrs.....0.06 m.
High Tide.....1317 hrs.....0.27 m.
low Tide......1940 hrs......0.08 m.

The tidal range is very small, but it does exist.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:27 am We could perhaps cover the topic of Tefal chip fryers at the same time :lol:
You excrement stirrer You....... :lol:
JimX

Post by JimX »

Lloyd I was very lucky to have one sent to me from Amazon, by mistake, they said keep it or sell it on, this I did, it was as bad as the first one we had, hopeless, get a deep fryer, faster and more like french fries we all know and love, just how many Air fryers do you see chefs using or being used in chip shops, Ill tell you none...
Jim.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

JimX wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:37 am Oh dear still it makes a change from the usual Covid stuff..

It is not tidal issue as Pafos doesn't have one it is just low water that happens once a year, so not tidel, I think some here never venture to the coast...thanks for that baiting Lloyd...
I’d love to find the post where you admitted that the Med does have a tide albeit a small one but I really don’t want to go through your posts :D
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Six years lifetime? We have our CY£22 conventional pro chip pan for at least 15 years and, filled with peanut oil, produces the best crisp chips possible in just three or four minutes.

And the sea round this island does have a tide of a few centimetres!
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

You shouldn't use olive oil for frying whether deep or shallow. it starts to decompose at temperatures as low as 130 to 140° C, into some toxics. We use peanut oil because it is the most thermally stable oil of all the common edible oils. Much less risk of ingesting toxic compounds, although more risk of ingesting fattening compounds! :-) Depends whether you prefer to die of cancer or a heart attack!