UKCA Club in the news

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
galexinda

UKCA Club in the news

Post by galexinda »

The UK Citizens’ Association club has been an integral part of the lives of many British residents in Cyprus for the last 21 years and like its elderly member Ivy has been especially badly hit by the lockdown measures.

Unless it’s allowed to reopen its doors in the next couple of weeks, it will struggle to remain in operation at all, club officials have warned.

https://cyprus-mail.com/2021/02/22/club ... -collapse/
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: UKCA Club in the news

Post by Dominic »

Not only that, but the rest of Cyprus is locking down for the benefit of people in that age group.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Not everyone who belongs to the UKCA is that old! But Debbie is a good cook and we enjoy her roast dinners! Its fortunate for old people that the Govt thinks that elderly residents are important and need the vaccine.
Currently, it isn't elderly people who are responsible for the lock down being extended for now. A glance at the results of all the Rapid Antigen and PCR tests, which are given on the In Cyprus website each evening will tell you where the people are who are spreading the virus are located. It's mainly Limassol where there are still multiple new cases. Last night there were 44, compared with 20 cases in Nicosia.Paphos had none. Larnaca had a few cases, while Famagusta also had none.
Dee
youngrw

Post by youngrw »

What a shame for the young people having to give up some elements of freedom for the sake of older residents. My heart bleeds for them - not.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

What a prick
youngrw

Post by youngrw »

Thank you for your illuminating comment.
WHL

Post by WHL »

youngrw wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:29 pm What a shame for the young people having to give up some elements of freedom for the sake of older residents. My heart bleeds for them - not.
Most of the older lot have pensions to live on, im guessing its alot harder for younger people trying to provide for a young family etc, many have lost their jobs
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

The Aquila wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:46 pm What a prick
Anguila

It's not often we agree but I wholeheartedly concur with your comment which is succinct and to the point.

Jim
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

UKCA was great when we moved here - but that was some years ago and the people of today have a different lifestyle. Not saying there isn't a need for the club but, as people have mentioned in previous comments, many businesses have been affected in the past twelve months or so and are struggling.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Youngrw has left the building. I tolerate a lot of differing opinions on this site, as it would be boring if we all thought the same. However, a prick is a prick.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Dominic wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:31 pm Youngrw has left the building. I tolerate a lot of differing opinions on this site, as it would be boring if we all thought the same. However, a prick is a prick.
:lol: :lol:
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

The UKCA is different from other ‘ businesses’ in that it has a membership. Some of the members are quite wealthy although by no means all. Many years ago , back in UK I was a member of an organisation which ran into a financial problem and the members helped out, with gifts of money, interest free loans etc. - perhaps this is the way for the UKCA to survive this crisis.
Alastair

Nil illigitimi carborundum
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Aargent wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:33 am The UKCA is different from other ‘ businesses’ in that it has a membership.
That's an interesting point, maybe they could ask for donations and/or raise the membership fees, something most restaurants and bars cannot do.
Who knows, maybe if it works some other places will start up a membership scheme, like Mario's in Tala for example.
David
merchant_banker

Post by merchant_banker »

Never been a member, but one year we went to the pantomime.

One of the best I have ever seen.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

merchant_banker wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:37 pm Never been a member, but one year we went to the pantomime.

One of the best I have ever seen.
You very probably saw me strutting my stuff then! You really do have my sympathies! :lol:
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Oh no he doesn't!
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Aargent wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:33 am The UKCA is different from other ‘ businesses’ in that it has a membership. Some of the members are quite wealthy although by no means all. Many years ago , back in UK I was a member of an organisation which ran into a financial problem and the members helped out, with gifts of money, interest free loans etc. - perhaps this is the way for the UKCA to survive this crisis.
If we were discussing Kamares Club then perhaps this would be a viable proposition.

In recent years UKCA has been welcoming outsiders to many events, requesting an additional door fee to the ticket price and so broadening its market, particularly in the tourist sector.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Dominic wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:56 pm Oh no he doesn't!
:lol: