Cyprus seeks Israel Vaccine help

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Jimgym

Cyprus seeks Israel Vaccine help

Post by Jimgym »

Just reading reports that the President has approached Israel asking for extra doses of the vaccine.
“Now EU member Cyprus has also reportedly sought additional doses. President Nicos Anastasiades said he had contacted Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu about extra support, adding “within days we will have the answer”.
Mr Anastasiades denied that the Cypriot request breaches EU rules, insisting in an interview that “there would definitely be a problem if those vaccines had not been approved by the EU”. The Commission would not comment on what it called a “hypothetical question”.
From Telegraph.
Kili01

Re: Cyprus seeks Israel Vaccine help

Post by Kili01 »

The current situation regarding shortage of vaccine is is reported to be a direct result of the EU deciding to order vaccine for 27 member countries which has gone horribly wrong.
In this result the UK was fortunate to have left the EU when it did.
Net result that it seems that the UK is awash with vaccines while poor Cyprus is struggling with delayed or insufficient supplies.

Dee
darrow

Post by darrow »

I tried to phone 1474 yesterday. It rang for 11 mins at 8am. Telling me I would be attended to. Then a voice said I was first in the queue. Then it cut off! I eventually after trying several times, rang the GP. He told me that the portal was also full at 8a,m. I rang the hospital the lady said they only had 75 vaccines. The only advice I got was try again next week, which is what they said last week! Its a joke! What's the point of telling people to ring at 8am when its full? It begs the question why aren't they notifying patients instead of asking us to chase for an appointment! Its obviously open to abuse. There is more to this but it would take all day to say everything I tried, to no avail.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Given that we've all survived this long without getting the virus I wouldn't worry. Just hunker down and continue doing what you've been doing. It will arrive eventually. It's when people stop being careful that problems arise.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Whilst I understand that there is a shortage of Vaccines for even those over 80, I feel it would be better if the authorities contacted US instead of people chasing appointments that are just not there.
Trev..
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Perhaps they should let the personal doctors do this. My PD is keeping a list of her patients in the first 2 age groups for vaccination purposes.

Dee
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

It would be good if all doctors would do this for their patients, but no doubt it is a fair bit more work for them
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

I'm sure doctors have enough on their plates at present, with out the extra work involved in trying to contact people, ,,

,,Just follow the instructions, not a great hardship.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Kili01 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:07 am The current situation regarding shortage of vaccine is is reported to be a direct result of the EU deciding to order vaccine for 27 member countries which has gone horribly wrong.
In this result the UK was fortunate to have left the EU when it did.
Net result that it seems that the UK is awash with vaccines while poor Cyprus is struggling with delayed or insufficient supplies.

Dee
Dee

Any EU member could have ordered like the UK did, or choose to go with the eu. Most went with them, except UK and Hungary.

The problem really will be the Pfizer vaccine needing to be stored at -70 which aint easy!

Only the AZN-Oxford Vaccine can help in the UK at the moment, with only refrigeration needed.

There are another few vaccines awaiting final results before final approval in the UK - the EU is slower in granting approval (then, they probably haven't passed into law, the inability for ANY citizen to sue the Phamas or Government, if things go wrong!)
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, the Moderna vaccine has apparently arrived. Just finished reading up about it, apparently, in its trial pre being approved it can cause more side effects. But hopefully not everyone who has it will be affected. Two doses are needed to get full immunity around 90%, hopefully! It was said to work in a similar way to the Pfizer one.

Dee
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, the Moderna vaccine has apparently arrived. Just finished reading up about it, apparently, in its trial pre being approved it can cause more side effects. But hopefully not everyone who has it will be affected. Two doses are needed to get full immunity around 90%, hopefully! It was said to work in a similar way to the Pfizer one.

Dee
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I wonder how serious these 'side effects' are in the over 80 and over 70 age group :-(
Trev..
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

Let’s hope the reports are correct. Israel ordered double it’s needs to make sure if one vaccine was not approved they would still have enough. The EU didn’t and the French vaccine has failed in it’s trials . The EU have also not yet approved the AstraZeneca vaccine hence the hopelessly sluggish vaccine roll out to it’s 485million people.
Cyprus needs the majority of its people to be vaccinated by the start of summer to welcome tourists again and revive the very fragile economic situation. Time , like Germany has , to look after itself .
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Israel's rapid rollout is because of support from Pfizer, to access data on the vaccine post vaccination. So far, it is proving effective at stopping people who have been vaccinated, from passing the virus to other people - so better than ever expected. If AZN and Moderna also have that effect, then we might see a sooner nomrality
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

Saw an interesting interview with one of the scientists that developed the Oxford Vaccine on the One Show the other day. She was excellent and explained the process brilliantly. She took viewers questions and set a few minds at rest I would think.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Diocletian wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:02 pm Saw an interesting interview with one of the scientists that developed the Oxford Vaccine on the One Show the other day. She was excellent and explained the process brilliantly. She took viewers questions and set a few minds at rest I would think.
The Irish lady?
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

In the local Russian newspapers they are saying the government has approached both Russia and China for vaccines, think I'll take my chances with Covid.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

Jimgward wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:39 pm
Diocletian wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:02 pm Saw an interesting interview with one of the scientists that developed the Oxford Vaccine on the One Show the other day. She was excellent and explained the process brilliantly. She took viewers questions and set a few minds at rest I would think.
The Irish lady?
She did not sound Irish. She was late 30's ish but did give a good explanation of the process and history of the Coronavirus Vaccine.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

My Russian neighbour tell's me that their 'Sputnik 5' vaccine has already been used to vaccinate 1000's of people in her country.

Dee
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Kili01 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:13 pm My Russian neighbour tell's me that their 'Sputnik 5' vaccine has already been used to vaccinate 1000's of people in her country.

Dee
Dee that's true but the Russian government do tend to cut corners, I've first hand experience.

Jim