The Joy of brexit

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
bromerzz

Re: The Joy of brexit

Post by bromerzz »

Must say I like the style of the new UK blue passport my wife received today. It has your photo in 3 places and lots of it is encapsulated. Can't wait to renew mine this summer.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

bromerzz wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:59 pm Must say I like the style of the new UK blue passport my wife received today. It has your photo in 3 places and lots of it is encapsulated. Can't wait to renew mine this summer.
That should keep you entertained for hours.

Jim
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

I renewed mine early - just so it would stay Red.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

bromerzz wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:59 pm Must say I like the style of the new UK blue passport my wife received today. It has your photo in 3 places and lots of it is encapsulated. Can't wait to renew mine this summer.
Made in Belgium, I think
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:51 pm
Dominic wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:25 pmAnd what about the rest? :lol:

The UK has been good, but as someone pointed out a week or two ago to a UK politician's boastful claim, "This is not a race".

Yes it is. The countries that get into gear quickly will save more lives. There are no higher stakes than that.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jimgward wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:37 pm
Made in Belgium, I think
Jim W
Actually they're made in Poland by a French/Dutch company.
The British company that used make the old maroon passports lost the contract.

Jim
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

I think it's all great. Scottish fish is very expensive, really! Try living in Wales and buying Welsh lamb.......you need a bloody mortgage lol
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Is New Zealand Lamb cheaper ?
Trev..
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Scottish fish and shellfish is what’s used all over the Mediterranean. Th Spanish, French and many others will suffer because of the problems, but methinks not enough to change anything
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

trevnhil wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:59 pm Is New Zealand Lamb cheaper ?
Markedly, yes but all frozen.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Scottish fish prices ‘collapsing’ by as much as 80% due to Brexit bureaucracy, industry warns
Exporters are struggling to get their produce across the EU border in time due to additional safety checks and administration

https://apple.news/APcbhnB0FQTG6tjN8-gpLvw

Scottish fish exporters have warned that prices are "collapsing" due to delays shipping goods to the EU after Brexit.

The burden of red tape has led to a backlog of seafood which cannot make it across the border in time to be sold at markets in France and beyond. With limited access to their main customers Scottish fishermen have been faced with a glut of perishable goods.
At the fish market in Peterhead on Monday, prices of some items had plunged as much as 80 per cent below normal levels as sellers sought desperately to offload their catch.
Industry trade body Scotland Food & Drink said that one-third of the Scottish fishing fleet was now tied up in harbour with some boats sailing to Denmark instead of the UK to avoid "Brexit bureaucracy".
Fish landed in Denmark and then transported by road to France and Spain remains within the single market, so avoids customs and food safety checks.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Permanent ban on Shellfish exports from UK to EU

The Gift that keeps on giving

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55903599
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

The EU will do all in it's power to make the UK suffer for leaving the club.

This comes as no surprise, and no doubt there will be more nasty stuff from them.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Firefly wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:20 pm The EU will do all in it's power to make the UK suffer for leaving the club.

This comes as no surprise, and no doubt there will be more nasty stuff from them.

Jackie
Hahaha

Look properly into these problems and the fact that ANY country outside the EU, would face - we were duped by Boris et al, that we had frictionless trade as part of the deal, when we never had! ALL the problems we now face are what countries like say Syria would face if they wanted to trade with the EU

So, it isn’t nasty from the EU, but rather lack of preparedness from the UK and expectations not met by a deal
WHL

Post by WHL »

Firefly wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:20 pm The EU will do all in it's power to make the UK suffer for leaving the club.

Jackie
My mate down the pub, said the exact same thing :roll:
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I think it’s worth mentioning, that I get zero pleasure from all these things going wrong - exactly the opposite. I am angry and upset that we walked ourselves into this, supposedly with eyes wide open, but in reality, ears closed and eyes distracted by a big red bus and an image of Farage and a long line of coloured immigrants.

It’s not even pleasure in any kind of ‘told you so’ environment. It’s more like a parent, angry at a kid for a big mistake, when they were warned against it. At the end of the day, we will have to get on with life, but at this moment, it’s hard to see the joy!
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:56 am still waiting to hear one good thing which will arise from Brexit.
Daily Milk is being made in Birmingham again...
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Cadbury started relocating back to Bournville in 2014,

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/c ... n-10179721
Jim
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

JD Sports' boss Peter Cowgill has said a 1,000-job warehouse that may have been constructed in the UK will now be built in the EU due to the impact of Brexit.

The chief executive of the Bury-based retailer said the effects of Brexit have been "considerably worse" than feared - and that it now plans to open a warehouse site somewhere in the EU amid the impact of red tape and delays.

Peter Cowgill, executive chairman, said disruption in shipping goods to mainland Europe meant extra costs in the "double digit millions", as PA reports.

He told BBC Radio 4's World At One programme that it is eyeing a new distribution site in Europe to help it side-step tariff costs and disruption.

https://www.business-live.co.uk/retail- ... b-19805461