The Joy of brexit

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgward

Re: The Joy of brexit

Post by Jimgward »

170 Businesses in the EU who won’t know export or ship to the UK, because they have to register for UK VAT now and charge it at source, then pay it to the UK - more hassle than it’s worth

Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Maggie B wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:13 pm
kingfisher wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:54 pm A great source of joy to me is Lloyd’s evident misery, and I detect I’m not alone in that.

Lloyd has made 5500 mostly anti- Brexit/UK posts over the past four years.
Say each post took ten minutes, including finding links to scholarly research in such erudite and independent organs as The Independent, Yahoo Finance, The BBC and the Guardian.
That has taken 55000 minutes of Lloyd’s life.
Which is almost 1000 hours, which is forty days and forty nights of Lloyd’s life.

Which was a complete waste of time, since the will of the British people prevailed.

So have you learnt anything from this Lloyd? Or will you yet again prove the definition of insanity correct: when it states that insanity is repeating the same thing over and again and expecting to get a different result?

Rule Britannia!

Jon.
Oooft, what a flipping Plonker. . . . .of the highest order. I do not always agree with Lloyd but, we always agree to disagree. That's OK.

Incidentally Jon, have you taken 40 minutes (or even two) to think about how the Scottish people voted? Just asking. 😁

Maggie B

PS Self rightous little gits just totally rip my knitting!!! On whatever side.
Maggie :-)

Jim
Last edited by Jim B on Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I thought this was interesting from the BBC.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55530721

A great deal,

Jim
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Maggie,

I hope your knitting was not Fair Isle, constantly changing the wool colour. Now, that is a yarn. :-) :-)
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:44 pm Out of curiosity what did you lot argue about before Brexit came along?
Who does the best full English, cost of a KEO, that sort of stuff :lol:
WHL

Post by WHL »

Jimgward wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:36 pm 170 Businesses in the EU who won’t know export or ship to the UK, because they have to register for UK VAT now and charge it at source, then pay it to the UK - more hassle than it’s worth

A family member who lives in Amsterdam, often sent a a box of goodies to the UK every few weeks, cost 30 odd euros, now if they want to send the same box, cost over 100 euros, happy days.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I believe many leavers are starting to realise Brexit was a Pyrrhic Victory as the cost was too great, time will tell of course but I'm still waiting for my first box of Sovereignty, leavers keep talking about it but can't actually define what it is.

Jim
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

WHL wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:32 pm
Dominic wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:44 pm Out of curiosity what did you lot argue about before Brexit came along?
So who does do the best full English?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Generally it was complaints about any improvements to Paphos and the time it was taking. The upgrade of Tomb of the Kings was a favourite as was the new sewage system. Many didn't like money wasted on fountains to enhance the town and that sort of thing.
The first winter I was here half the coast road was washed away during winter storms and that was a major source of complaint.

Jim
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:26 pm
WHL wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:32 pm
So who does do the best full English?
My Misses, but Its rationed , so is the big fry up :lol:
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Freight and carriage cost are not all about Brexit!

Today I was talking to a UK freight agent about shipping a consignment from The Far East to USA, I was quoted a staggering amount. Last January the rate to ship 1500kgs of freight from Shanghai to LHR was £1850, today’s rate is £13,500!

It seems that some European couriers / carriers have seen away to make more money and blame brexit
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Morning TD, thank you I am aware of the cause.

I’m merely pointing out that not every problem around this is about Brexit as some would like to think it is.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Not being in the EU certainly hasn't harmed the UK in terms of COVID vaccines.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-55556840

Chaos in shipments to NI caused by extra paperwork - multiple shipments need Multiple paperwork which can take 30 minutes
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

DE31C13E-1D8E-4E4D-B51A-F6CFA1919E67.jpeg
DE31C13E-1D8E-4E4D-B51A-F6CFA1919E67.jpeg (169.75 KiB) Viewed 3289 times
jeba

Post by jeba »

Dominic wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:43 pm Not being in the EU certainly hasn't harmed the UK in terms of COVID vaccines.
Nor did it provide any benefit. The UK was bound by EU rules on vaccines until 31 Dec. However, those rules allowed every country to approve vaccines nationally - irrespective of EU approval (and the UK did just that). AFAIK only Hungary did this (they approved the Russian vaccine nationally and started vaccinating even before the UK started vaccinations). In my view the EU failed to order sufficient vaccine doses early enough (as the US did) and each national government also failed for that reason. On this Trump was right. He ordered vaccines already before it was known whether they´d work ( and would have had to pay even if they didn´t). Therefore, companies could start producing for the US already before the clinical trials were finished. That´s what the EU - or the national governments should have done as well. The savings don´t justify the damage and sacrifice caused by failing to do so.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:27 am
Dominic wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:43 pmNot being in the EU certainly hasn't harmed the UK in terms of COVID vaccines.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/third-covid-v ... 07951.html
And what about the rest? :lol:

The UK has been much better at getting vaccines sorted than the EU.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/europes-co ... 1610015400

https://www.thenationalnews.com/world/e ... -1.1140528

etc
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I have to say that the Vaccine pre-purchasing by the UK has been the single bright light of the entre Pandemic for us. The ONLY decision I can think of, where the Government got it right. (or appears to have - although failure would be down to the Pharmas)
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jim B

Post by Jim B »

This is what Brexit is all about.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 83331.html

Jim