North Cyprus to reopen beach

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
71 Trans Am

North Cyprus to reopen beach

Post by 71 Trans Am »

North Cyprus to reopen beach abandoned in no-man's land since 1974 conflict

Ersin Tatar, premier of the breakaway state of Northern Cyprus, made the announcement in Ankara alongside Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan, who said he backed the decision on Varosha, sealed off within barbed wire for decades.
The move could weigh on Turkey's dispute with European Union members Cyprus and Greece over territorial rights in the Eastern Mediterranean. Tensions had eased after Ankara and Athens agreed to resume talks, but Cyprus, a close ally of the Greece, promptly condemned the move to partially reopen the abandoned resort and said it would file a recourse to the United Nations Security Council.
Greece also criticised the move, and said it would support Cyprus.
"God willing, we will start to use the Maras beach on Thursday morning together with our people," Tatar said, using Varosha's Turkish name. Northern Cyprus is only recognised as a state by Turkey.
Turkish Cypriot officials.
Nicos Anastasiades, president of Cyprus's internationally-recognised government - and who as recently as last week was involved in a tense stand-off with his EU peers for his push for sanctions on Turkey, said: "this is an exceptionally unacceptable situation."
Varosha is a suburb of the larger city of Famagusta, which, in Greek - Ammochostos - means "buried in sand". It has a pristine coastline of thick golden sand, most of it in the now out-of-bounds Varosha quarter.

Presently, about 200 metres (660 ft) of it is accessible to the public under the towering shadow of a hotel and a three-storey resort bombed during the war and left rotting since then. The rest of it is fenced off by rusting barbed wire which extends into the sea, guarded by Turkish soldiers.
Nicosia had already been in touch with the governments of the five permanent members of the Security Council in the hours leading up to the announcement, people with knowledge of the matter said.
Tatar had signalled steps to reopen Varosha in August, saying a revival of the area, which contains derelict hotels, churches and residences, would bring trade and tourism benefits.
Presidential elections are scheduled to be held in Northern Cyprus on Sunday, with Tatar a candidate.

Varosha has been off limits along ceasefire lines to all but the Turkish military since 1974 and has stood as a bargaining chip in the decades-long dispute between Greek and Turkish Cypriots.
Several peacemaking efforts have made no significant progress and the discovery of offshore energy resources has complicated efforts to resolve the island's partition.
WHL

Re: North Cyprus to reopen beach

Post by WHL »

The Turkish despot Erdogan doing what despots do.
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

He seems to be in an extreme hurry to get to the graveyard - I think he has provoked trouble on all of his borders now.
WHL

Post by WHL »

71 Trans Am wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:43 pm He seems to be in an extreme hurry to get to the graveyard - I think he has provoked trouble on all of his borders now.
Not fogetting he has sent troops to Sudan, Libya, Qatar, Somalia, this power hungry dictator, needs someone to put a bullet, into his evil head the sooner the better
wilky

Post by wilky »

Today's guardian has a YouTube video of people on the beach
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

WHL

Post by WHL »

The Dictator wants his own hardline man in power, thats why he opened Famagusta up... anyone who disagrees with him, has to go.
https://www.ft.com/content/027bd53c-62a ... 4680ea68b5
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Erdogan has used a stick to awaken the seemingly dead GC government into life. Maybe, just maybe, it might work.
WHL

Post by WHL »

mike strand2 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:33 pm Erdogan has used a stick to awaken the seemingly dead GC government into life. Maybe, just maybe, it might work.
Don't understand what you are trying to say? Cyprus has been under Turkeys stick for fifty years, other then asking the UN to tell Turkey they are in breach, of UN resolutions, what else can they do.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Well, if this stimulates the two sides into talking to each other again , it might be a good thing. As I've said before the Cyprus problem needs to be settled peacefully.
Which is what the UN, NATO, EU, UK, Greece, the USA are keen to see this happen.
So many problems could be sorted out and the island could go forwards, instead of stagnating.
But on past performance this won't happen...
Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Here's a petition.

http://chng.it/9Zx8jxrzNW
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

WHL wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:05 pm
mike strand2 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:33 pm Erdogan has used a stick to awaken the seemingly dead GC government into life. Maybe, just maybe, it might work.
Don't understand what you are trying to say? Cyprus has been under Turkeys stick for fifty years, other then asking the UN to tell Turkey they are in breach, of UN resolutions, what else can they do.
I am saying that by taking the action Erdogan has taken will wake up the discussions of a settlement, something the GC;s have at Crans Montana previously walked away from. Doing nothing will not solve anything!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Do you seriously think Erdogan did this so that it would result in a united Cyprus?
WHL

Post by WHL »

mike strand2 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:52 pm
WHL wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:05 pm
I am saying that by taking the action Erdogan has taken will wake up the discussions of a settlement, something the GC;s have at Crans Montana previously walked away from. Doing nothing will not solve anything!
Here's the thing, Erdogan and Turkey do not want a settlement, the GCs walked away because like the Annan plan, it was an unworkable plan, this Dictator only last week was talking about liberating Jerusalem from the Israelis, is that the talk of a sane person, he has started conflicts with everyone of his neighbours, do you seriously think this nutter wants peace or war, he is drunk on power, and only when the big powers start to seriously think about reigning this nutter in, we might have a chance, until then he will just demand more and more
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Dominic wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:15 pm Do you seriously think Erdogan did this so that it would result in a united Cyprus?
Did I use the word "United"? No, the word was "settlement". It will take more than just the GC & Turkey to come to some form of settlement, but a United Cyprus is just not going to happen!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

So you want ROC to just surrender?
WHL

Post by WHL »

RUN TO SEE THE BARBAGE
Run away...
Run away...
Run to Maraş...
There is an invitation to all of you...
Do not miss this opportunity...
Run to meet the ghost town ghosts...
This city is a museum from start to finish...
The museum of barbarism...
Run to see barbarism!
Isn't it worth to see what hero Turkish pilots have done to this beautiful city?
Don't you want to see how snakes and strawberries are fed for 46 years?
Run away...
Hurry up...
This is the last trophy!
And also the nicest...
The most honey ever!
Write ′′ caught ′′ to the doors...
Are you going to open a cabbage restaurant?
Is it a cocorech?
Look how affordable this old cafe is...
Thanks to the bombing pilots here you go...
They showed you today too...
Craps in Girne got it...
He took his turn...
Maraş is also up to you!
Don't be sad if you haven't closed a place from Girne beach...
The beaches of Maraş are gold!
I know that I washed a lot in that sea...
When you weren't around...
I remember the old state of these beaches and these buildings...
And I burn and burn and burn for it...
How did they kill these beauties...
How did they leave those bombs on this city...
Come see after 46 years!
This is the land you have not been able to step for years...
If you take a photo from a distance, where you were arrested...
It's free now!
Don't miss the opportunity...
Go see it!
They are proud to show you their barbarism...
Look at the houses with the ceiling and the doors are destroyed...
This is where prisoners were murdered and thrown into the pool...
Who knows how many people were shot and died on the asphalt road now...
I'm sure you can change your name now...
Would you put Kahramanmaraş...
What about the Gas Maraş!
Run away...
run away...
Run to meet the ghosts!
There are so many trophy appetite that is growing...
And those who rock us are at the front...
What about those who killed Solomu and Isak?
Didn't they visit too?
They killed and got their medals...
All those who hold a gun in their hands and aimed at those photos were also a warning...
Promoted by police commander...
The other one became minister...
Didn't those who dropped wood and iron sticks on the head of Isak lying on the floor?
This is who we are...
We have an award for barbarism...
Punishment for those who want brotherhood!..
Torture!
Since they said come and see, go and see...
And take care of the ghosts...
Look it says ′′ King George ′′ on top of this building...
This is ′′ Cafe Edelweiss "...
You don't have ever sat and drank a coffee at O cafe...
Who knows what kind of love has happened there...
You don't know hero pilots...
This city that you turn into ruins was a city of love...
They used to make Beribado on the sidewalk in the afternoon...
On the road drawn by the moonlight, they would take a trip by diving into the dreams...
Yakamos would shine bright...
Summer nights would be mehman...
They used to sing a song under the Talvars...
You ruined it all...
By following an order that should not be fulfilled...
I am from Lefkoşa...
But after this massacre I was Maraşlı...
Still wonder how we served him to snakes for 46 years...
I'm still ashamed to watch this...
Look at this big, multi-storey building...
The windows have been ripped off...
Everything in it was filled with ships and taken beyond the sea...
Television...
The freezer...
The couch...
Look, this is half a construction...
His stakes are stuck...
The crushing stakes hit our hearts...
Take a good look...
This is where Jesus was once again crucified!
Oh the Maraş...
Beautiful Maraş...
They killed you once again...
46 years later!
They say ′′ Stand up, we are walking to the future...
Let them get the answer from the poet Neyzen:
They said, ′′ Stand up, people of the country... We got up... The push-ups sat down, we stood up "...

Sener LEVENT
October 9 / 202

Sener LEVENT is a respected Turkish Cypriot journalist, a true Cypriot who has been attacked physically and mentally over many years for daring to speak the truth