VIRUS TEST ON ENTRY TO CYPRUS

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
TandC

VIRUS TEST ON ENTRY TO CYPRUS

Post by TandC »

Does anyone know if my MEU1 gives me the right to a 60Euro virus test on entry to Cyprus?
DavidatLWH

Re: VIRUS TEST ON ENTRY TO CYPRUS

Post by DavidatLWH »

No it doesn't. I checked with the Cyprus Consular in London. Permanent residents - i.e. MEU3 holders - only. Got the same answer from the Covid19 team in the Cyprus govt.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Thanks for that useful information, as that hasn't been spelt out in any of the emails which have come from the BHC or from Gov.UK to date.

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

DavidatLWH wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:08 pm No it doesn't. I checked with the Cyprus Consular in London. Permanent residents - i.e. MEU3 holders - only. Got the same answer from the Covid19 team in the Cyprus govt.
Correct
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

That seems a strange decision.. MEU 1 holders are permanent residents and CANNOT get an MEU3 until they have been here 5 years
Trev..
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

That does seem a little odd on the face of it. Point 2 of the Flightpass requirement states to get the test on arrival states “ Persons legally residing in the Republic of Cyprus”. As I understand it MUE1 is technically temporary residence until you can apply for permanent residency and get MEU3. Surely both are legally residing in Cyprus?

You’d hope that the authorities here would look favourably on a request for special permission under point 4 for those in MEU1 / MEU3 ‘limbo’.
Ian
TandC

Post by TandC »

It does seem odd. Is there any way to get a "written"ruling? Its not worth the risk of a fine!
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

An MEU1 merely allows you to stay in Cyprus for a spell of more than 3 months (but less than 6 months in total over a year). Residency doesn't really come in to it. People having an MEU1 aren't necessarily intending to get an MEU3.

When I queried the situation with the CY Consular they made it clear that only permanent residents (and they highlighted this!) with an MEU3 are classified as "Legally resident in Cyprus". I've also checked this with the CyprusFlightPass team and got the same answer.

BTW, don't bother asking the British High Commission. Complete waste of time.
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

David, and yet I’ve just been chatting online to a lady on Facebook who’s just shared details of her flying back from Manchester yesterday, had the test on Arrival and only holds an MEU1 and triple checked this was ok before travelling.

Ian

PS Out of curiosity, where did you get the info about less than 6 months in one year info from? I’ve not seen that anywhere previously , only the requirement to apply for MEU1 within 4 months of arriving, it would make getting an MEU3 impossible as you’d be never be here for 5 years to qualify for one. Are you thinking of the bit about an MEU1 allows you to be out of Cyprus for up to 6 months per year whereas, the MEU3 residency status allows up to 5 years out of the country.
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

There are 5 groups of people who are entitled to a test on arrival. The following is from the Cypriot Flight Pass info page which details each category. No. 2 says ‘Persons legally residing in the Republic of Cyprus’ which includes MEU1 holders: https://cyprusflightpass.gov.cy/en/pas ... for-a-test

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

I have an MEU1 and got tested on arrival at Larnaca on 20 July.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

As we have two threads running with near identical topics I am locking this one.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12810
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.