Microsoft Edge

Everything to do with I.T, T.V, and telephony.
Firefly

Microsoft Edge

Post by Firefly »

Having just got used to Windows 10, I now find that Edge has been changed during updates. Has this happened to anyone else, and how are you finding it ? It has left me confused.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
The Aquila

Re: Microsoft Edge

Post by The Aquila »

I did notice that Update but personally I don’t use edge, my default browser is google chrome as I find it quicker
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

I don't use it either, I use Chrome as well
David
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

The Aquila wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:40 pm I did notice that Update but personally I don’t use edge, my default browser is google chrome as I find it quicker
I want and use Chrome as well... But Edge keeps starting up Grrrrr
Trev..
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Can you stop Edge at all ? Like Trevor, it comes up automatically on my laptop..
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

If you go into settings you should be able to select chrome as a default which will stop it from popping up...
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Is it possible to delete Edge from a laptop, or would that be a silly thing to do.. ?
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I normally use Chrome but have to say the new Edge is very fast. More stable than chrome too, on my machine, anyway.

Plus, one of the affiliate sites I use that only worked on Opera, of all things, now also works on Edge.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

I use multiple browsers for different things....
All our business and financials are on Firefox.
Personal browsing and shopping on Chrome.
I mainly use Edge for non important emails I've clicked through, any other important email links I right click and copy/paste to the relevant browser.
Sometimes I use Opera for comparing holiday and flight prices.
I've recently started trialling Brave - it was a recommended browser for no tracking and faster browsing. I quite like this one but currently keep it for a couple of Facebook groups which I Admin under a different name than my other fb account and general searches.
All of the above browsers are open at the same time when I login to my laptop with the exception of Opera as that's an infrequently used one.
Can't say as I've had any real issues with Edge since the update but I've always found it clunky and some pages/sites have just never performed well on there.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions.

Jackie
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

I have never seriously used any Microsoft offering of browser or email client. I started with Netscape and automatically went on to Firefox at the change. I cannot say that I am delighted with it, nor can I say that I was delighted on the various trials I made with at least 10 browsers or email clients. For my simple mind they are all far too complex with the bells and whistles that they offer for very little benefit to the average user. The writers of the softwares unfortunately are constantly vying against each other to try and win a few more users.

One reason I use Firefox is that I believe that the security is better than the other major browsers. This is because it is open source and not in the hands of any of the big conglomerates that all have their own donkeys to beat, especially with the money which can corrupt security.