Shopping Experience Today

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
trevnhil

Re: Shopping Experience Today

Post by trevnhil »

They are doing a similar thing in the UK at supermarkets.. But when it was posted in a UK FB group all sorts of reasons were put forward as to why elderly people could not get there at those time..
It takes them a long time to get up and get ready to go out.. Their medication does not work until a couple of hours have gone by.. And their bus passes cannot be used until after a certain time :-(
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The bus pass one is valid, but doesn't apply to Cyprus, or am I mistaken.

Personally I would prefer it pensioners had the 1-5pm slot, or something similar.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Dominic wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:52 pm The bus pass one is valid, but doesn't apply to Cyprus, or am I mistaken.

Personally I would prefer it pensioners had the 1-5pm slot, or something similar.
Mistaken. I have a bus pass. 50% off the price of any ticket. But, it's a good point about time to get up & dressed (perhaps by a carer) as well as the medication. However, whatever hours are proscribed, you can be as sure as god made little green apples, it won't suit everyone! :!:
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

This morning I emailed my shopping list of 23 products to Paps and within the hour they phoned to say is 1 o'clock OK, even though I'd said any time/day this week. Pay with cash, which is a nuisance as it means I must break my self isolation to visit a bank. Still, that's much less exposure than trawling around the supermarket.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Devil,
Possibly you could give yourself more time to get ready by getting up a little earlier?Thats what I do. Just a suggestion.

Dee
wilky

Post by wilky »

We went to Lidl just after 12 today most things there except toilet rolls what is it about toilet rolls?
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Kili01 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:08 pm Devil,
Possibly you could give yourself more time to get ready by getting up a little earlier?Thats what I do. Just a suggestion.

Dee
Wow! I never thought of that! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Perhaps you could show a link to where you have seen this Les. I have not seen that myself
Trev..
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Les Bean wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:28 pm I have seen reports that the oldies and other entitled people are allowed to shop ONLY 07-10,and not outside of these times.Anyone been turned away on this basis??
Not me, but on CM there's a report about Nicosia supermarkets adopting that policy. Was that really in the government decree?
https://cyprus-mail.com/2020/03/23/coro ... -show-ids/

I guess it does make some sense, as it's us oldies that are more susceptible to catching CV, so why not herd us all together between 6 & 10 and let the young (& healthy?) have the rest of the time to themselves?
Varky

Post by Varky »

mike strand2 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:37 pm I guess it does make some sense, as it's us oldies that are more susceptible to catching CV, so why not herd us all together between 6 & 10 and let the young (& healthy?) have the rest of the time to themselves?
Not quite true. Oldies are no more susceptible to catching CV, but the consequences of oldies (of which I am a member) catching CV are vastly more serious than for younger people. The problem is that because the consequences are less serious for the younger members of the community a lot of them have taken a more blase attitude to containment measures, Hence the reason for giving oldies the opportunity to shop at a comparatively more safe time between 08.00 and 10.00 in the absence of people who might not consider CV to be as serious a risk to life.
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Devil wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:56 pm
Kili01 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:08 pm Devil,

Dee
Wow! I never thought of that! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I love it Brian. Your sense of humour is ticketyboo. Old BITCH that you are. 😁

Maggie B
Mark

Post by Mark »

Went to town, Lidl and Sklavenitis, with form Completed (thanks Dominic).

Motorway eerily quiet, as were both shops, home very quickly, with shopping completed, 2 metre separation evident in both shops.

Despite reports I have seen on earlier posts, the local population appears to be complying with the lock down.

Bought 1 pack of toilet rolls in Lidl, it was on special offer, apart from Kitchen roll, stocks appeared high.

Well done Cyprus!
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

More than happy with the current time being up to 10 am for various groups of people to shop, particularly as the temperature goes up as summer approaches and I am affected by the heat.

Used to shopping as and when we wanted, last Tuesday I bought enough for at least a week, popped into the pharmacy to get a new box of eye drops to keep as a spare in the first aid kit and went to the bank as I had to make a cash deposit onto my prepaid card so I can use that instead of cash. The earliest I anticipate having to do any household shopping is next Thursday, bearing in mind we are a two adult household.

I want to live to an old age - a healthy old age - and if that means restricting my movements for a few weeks (or longer) then so be it.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

We did a big shopping trip two weeks ago.. But as recently we were needing some more items, last Tuesday we took a list to the village store and they bagged it all up and I collected it... The only regular outings we are doing are dog walks, and trips to the communal bin in the car..
Trev..
wilky

Post by wilky »

Garden of Eden packed today even the staff complaining nobody checking age so place over run far too many people in the shop.The police checking on the road for paper and sms permission.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

wilky wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:10 am Garden of Eden packed today even the staff complaining nobody checking age so place over run far too many people in the shop.The police checking on the road for paper and sms permission.
In situations like that surely the best thing to do is not go in; go elsewhere!
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

I went to Alpha mega, and it was well organised. A long queue outside and everyone kept their distance. Of course there were 2 people who thought it would be ok to jump the queue, that didn't work out!
Polly

Post by Polly »

Went to Paps in Chlorakas just after 8.30am today. Sanitiser and gloves on offer outside. It very soon felt packed and not everyone over 60, although they could have had other health conditions. Only 2 tills open and one of those for several staff fulfilling orders. Couldn't buy several of the items we wanted as not on shelves. Little social distancing. Usually go about an hour later and never been so busy then so may resort to that or home delivery as we had last week.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Today, at about 08:30, I motored to Nisou., From there, I went to Kofinou, then to the Kalo Chorio roundabout and home. I don't know how many kilometres that was, but I would guess well over 50. I didn't see one single cop over all that distance.