Eu trade talks/covid-19

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
outasite

Re: Eu trade talks/covid-19

Post by outasite »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:53 am So on top of the outlandishly spendthrift budget which will cause UK borrowing to soar stratospherically, the UK will now have to contend with a Brexit in which negotiations have not even begun, plus the multi-billion cost of tackling Covid-19.

I would put zero chance on Trump coming to the UK's aid in the Brexit fallout. Little wonder Sterling is plummeting daily, back down to 1.09 as I write.
Let's not forget, while you are knocking the UK as usual, that a hefty lump of the budget will be covered by the savings we will be enjoying due to non membership of your beloved EU. The same EU that rides roughshod over Cyprus, amongst others. And Mr Johnson has told the EU that there will be no extension to us finally leaving on December 31st this year. I wonder how much the EU will pillage from the likes of Cyprus when they finally realise the money is no longer available from the UK. of course when I say EU, I mean Germany and France.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Outasite
Mathematics isn't your strong point is It?

Jim
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Yay! You know things are calming down a bit when the conversation returns to Brexit.

Anybody looked at the Exchange Rate recently? Yoinks!
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Les Bean wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:55 am With the news almost exclusively confined to the virus crisis, I've seen no mention of this anywhere. Are they to be postponed? I assume they are not now top priority with any of the participants, and almost certainly make Boris' aim of a result by year's end impossible
There never was any intention on the UK side for any deal
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:53 am So on top of the outlandishly spendthrift budget which will cause UK borrowing to soar stratospherically, the UK will now have to contend with a Brexit in which negotiations have not even begun, plus the multi-billion cost of tackling Covid-19.

I would put zero chance on Trump coming to the UK's aid in the Brexit fallout. Little wonder Sterling is plummeting daily, back down to 1.09 as I write.
The Government ‘bail-out’ of business and individuals is an absolute joke. Mortgage ‘holidays’ of 3 months, simply means 3 months + interest added at end of term - so about 5 months cost, to everyone. The £300bn for ‘loans’ to businesses, is simply an insurance policy underwriting loans from banks to businesses, so the banks share the risk. It isn’t cash.
The ‘grants’ are to be offered through councils - wait for them to contact you - most businesses will be bust by then and it’s only £3k - £10k maximum.

NO support for rentals. NO payments to self-employed. No sickness support to individuals. Shambles.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Lloyd
It's that old adage, "There's none so blind as those who will not see".

Jim
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

As a business owner in the UK, I am disgusted by the UK's approach and lack of help for businesses. Thousands will goo bust and millions unemployed. But Boris's cronies will scavenge the remnants and make themselves money. Call me a cynic, I am, as I'm long enough ion the tooth and smart enough to see it all happening and their discussing treatment of individuals and businesses. We aren't bankers... so why help us?
Varky

Post by Varky »

As an aside, just heard that Michel Barnier has tested positive for coronavirus.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I see this government have given Dyson who make vacuum cleaners and JCB who make excavators contracts to manufacture ventilators and ignore companies who actually make ventilators. Is it because the two companies sponsored Brexit? They don't miss a trick to feather their own nests do they?

Jim
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

As far as I am aware the talks have been ongoing via video with up to eleven separate groups of negotiating teams and several proposals tabled. The one is a framework for disputes arising from a free trade deal but the sticking point is the EU insisting that the European Court has the final say, which is obviously not appealing to the UK Government. There was a plethora of reports about it the other day.

I would however suggest that the response of the EU as a whole to the pandemic and the deafening silence of its Health Commissioner plus its complete inability to assist in any way with the collapse of Spain and Italy. That its days are numbered post pandemic. Even the French deputy FM has questioned its existence post pandemic stating that it only seems to be interested when the economies are trundling along.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

All you amateur economists make me laugh. I am as much an amateur as the best of you, but at least I don't stick my neck out and make predictions how it is going to end or when it is going to end. What I do see is that my savings have taken a big bump downwards but I also know that if I sit tight, everything will come right in the end, even if it takes several years.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

True dat
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

What measures are in place in Cyprus to protect businesses and the self employed ?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.