You couldn't make it up.

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgward

Re: You couldn't make it up.

Post by Jimgward »

Jimgym wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:34 pm
Jimgward wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:57 pm HiC - it's amazing, though, how few "Brits" in Spain can even order a coffee after 10 years.
People living in Spain and voting for Brexit - that does my head in....

Why, would ANYONE, living in the EU, want the UK OUT of the EU?
If you actually have to ask the question.......
I do. I just cannot for the life of me understand that. It’s like a Tory mp voting labour.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

A subdued mood? What, like posting a picture of a brexit badge?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

:lol: Subdued?! If Brexit voters constantly posted about leaving, they'd be accused of gloating, because they are not saying very much about it they are subdued? It's almost laughable what you come out with Lloyd. Many on here could have rubbed your nose in it but they haven't. It's called having some class.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Alan
The gloating and vitriol is there even on this politics section even if you don't want to see it.
I believe we've all lost something but only half of us are aware of that at the moment.

Jim
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Jim B wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:24 pm I've read several articles that Brexit is attributal to in excess of 400,000 job losses. I don't just write fanciful comments. The government are massaging the figures, they put the unemployed on 0 hour contracts or make them sign off as sick which lowers the unemployment figures.

Firstly, How do the government put unemployed people on zero hour contracts or make them sign off as sick?

Secondly, those figures you list are bunk. Leaving aside the wool shop, which in fairness to you, do blame Brexit for their two redundancies, let's take a look at the burger chain.

Handmade Burger Co

This is the link cited to the 900 job losses:

https://www.insider.co.uk/news/handmade ... n-10753574

Not once is Brexit mentioned in that article. If you dig a little deeper:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/h ... 9-21356784

The Mirror can not be classed as a supporter of Brexit. Yet even they don't put the blame on Brexit, rather, an overcrowded fast food market.

So it would appear that the list is is documenting every redundancy. But if you dig deeper still you get stats such as this:

Tesla 10000

That's a laugh. You can't count that as job losses, because the jobs didn't exist. Tesla decided to move the location of their new plant to Germany, because of Brexit. But the plant hadn't been built yet, so there were no jobs to lose.

And then you have:

Fall in foreign direct investment 133000

And there is a link to an FT article.

https://www.ft.com/content/bdc9f940-bb9 ... VYDqbWgbLc

But wait, if you click that link, you get the following headline:

Brexit has chilling effect on UK inward investment
FT analysis finds number of jobs created since EU referendum has fallen by 19 per cent

So the number quoted isn't actually job losses, it is the reduction in new jobs.

And if you want extra credit, find anywhere in that article that comes up with a figure of 133,000.

I could go on but you get the picture.

Plus, if you are going to simply list all job losses that occur, whether they are caused by Brexit or not, you should also count all jobs that have been created, for whatever reason, since the referendum.

As it stands, those figures are as manipulated - badly, at that - as anything supplied by the government.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jim B wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:09 am Alan
The gloating and vitriol is there even on this politics section even if you don't want to see it.
I believe we've all lost something but only half of us are aware of that at the moment.

Jim
Can you post it, as I must have missed it. On the one hand Brexit voters are accused of being subdued and on the other hand they are gloating and being vitriolic. Surely they can't be doing both at the same time?!
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Go to the post about the 50 pence coins and badges and you don't have to look much further for the vitriol and gloating.

Jim
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

So what was your opinion on this post?

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11151
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Dominic wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:09 am
Jim B wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:24 pm I've read several articles that Brexit is attributal to in excess of 400,000 job losses. I don't just write fanciful comments. The government are massaging the figures, they put the unemployed on 0 hour contracts or make them sign off as sick which lowers the unemployment figures.

Firstly, How do the government put unemployed people on zero hour contracts or make them sign off as sick?

Secondly, those figures you list are bunk. Leaving aside the wool shop, which in fairness to you, do blame Brexit for their two redundancies, let's take a look at the burger chain.

Handmade Burger Co

This is the link cited to the 900 job losses:

https://www.insider.co.uk/news/handmade ... n-10753574

Not once is Brexit mentioned in that article. If you dig a little deeper:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/h ... 9-21356784

The Mirror can not be classed as a supporter of Brexit. Yet even they don't put the blame on Brexit, rather, an overcrowded fast food market.

So it would appear that the list is is documenting every redundancy. But if you dig deeper still you get stats such as this:

Tesla 10000

That's a laugh. You can't count that as job losses, because the jobs didn't exist. Tesla decided to move the location of their new plant to Germany, because of Brexit. But the plant hadn't been built yet, so there were no jobs to lose.

And then you have:

Fall in foreign direct investment 133000

And there is a link to an FT article.

https://www.ft.com/content/bdc9f940-bb9 ... VYDqbWgbLc

But wait, if you click that link, you get the following headline:

Brexit has chilling effect on UK inward investment
FT analysis finds number of jobs created since EU referendum has fallen by 19 per cent

So the number quoted isn't actually job losses, it is the reduction in new jobs.

And if you want extra credit, find anywhere in that article that comes up with a figure of 133,000.

I could go on but you get the picture.

Plus, if you are going to simply list all job losses that occur, whether they are caused by Brexit or not, you should also count all jobs that have been created, for whatever reason, since the referendum.

As it stands, those figures are as manipulated - badly, at that - as anything supplied by the government.
It's very easy to force people to take zero hour contracts, you just stop their payments if they refuse to take the job just as it's easy to move people to sickness benefit from unemployment benefit. Claimants get more money on Sickness Benefits than Unemployment and they're not under the spotlight.
I did post a link several weeks ago showing over 420000 jobs lost since the referendum but we Remainers have to keep "proving" our comments.
I do know our daughter was put on her notice in January along with her colleagues who were doing research into Alzheimer's at Oxford as a direct result of withdrawal of EU funding due to Brexit.

Jim
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Dominic wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:48 am So what was your opinion on this post?

Who are you asking?

Jim
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

With respect, I'm a remainer too. I just think there has been far too much creative accounting on all sides of the debate.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Jim B wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:29 am

Who are you asking?

Jim
I was asking you. To me this seemed a fairly gloaty remain post. Swings and roundabouts, and all that.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Dominic wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:30 am
Jim B wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:29 am

Who are you asking?

Jim
I was asking you. To me this seemed a fairly gloaty remain post. Swings and roundabouts, and all that.
Dominic
Maybe you can see something in that link that I cant; I just read Barnier spelling out the EU negotiating position.

As for your comments regarding Tesla and 1000 jobs lost, if you wrote 1000 opportunities lost would that sound better?
By the way it was Labour who started taking people off the unemployment list and put them on sickness benefit to massage the figures.

Jim
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

It was more to do with the title than the content, which was, as you say, just repeating an article. "Quite right too" seemed a bit "I told you so".

The biggest issue I have with Remainer though is Terry Bloody Christian. I do wish he would shut up. He was a prat when he was a celebrity, now he is just an embarrasment.

We can all disagree with each other on here, but none of us are as bad as he is. I didn't think anybody could be as annoying as Farage. He has proved me wrong.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Being honest Dom I didn't know who he was till yesterday when I read he had a shouting match with Piers Morgan. I still really don't know who he is apart from him being some friend of Jimmy Saville and any friend of his is no friend of mine.

Jim
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Gibraltar; Pandoras Box springs to mind.

Jim

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... 1580564088
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

The EU backing Spain against us, now who would have thought it :roll:
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Haven’t Morocco been asking Spain to hand back Ceuta and Melilla?
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jimgym wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:23 pm Haven’t Morocco been asking Spain to hand back Ceuta and Melilla?
Yes but Morocco isn't trying to strike a trade deal with the EU.

And Jackie, the EU was backing the UK until we left on Friday night losing the benefits of being a member. That's what happens when you give up your place at the table.

Jim
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Firefly wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:41 pm The EU backing Spain against us, now who would have thought it :roll:
Exactly! Shame we left really.