Electric Bicycle - Help please

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
geoffreys

Electric Bicycle - Help please

Post by geoffreys »

If you have one of these here in Cyprus do you have to register it, and do you need a licence to ride it on a public road?
Can't find any info on the Gov/cy website.
Thanks,
Geoff.
geoffreys

Re: Electric Bicycle - Help please

Post by geoffreys »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:30 pm You really need to learn to use Google Geoff 8-)

Within seconds I had found this, but there will be other sites too: http://www.cyprusebike.com This company will surely be able to advise you.
Thanks - yes, I saw that, but it does not give me the answers.
Rather than ring them up, (cost of call, might not speak perfect English, I don't speak Greek), I hoped someone on the forum
might be able to help.
Look, we could all Google everything, but the forum would then be redundant.
I thought the whole idea of forums was to exchange views and information, help each other out.
Geoff.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Geoff, your post was perfectly valid. Virtually any question posted here, or on any other forum, could be googled in some way, shape or form. However, you won't always get the most current answer, or indeed the most relevent. If you post it on here however, you might get exactly the info you need. And whats more, you might even get to hear from somebody else who has first hand experience of electric bicycles in Cyprus.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

I went into a place across the road from Alexander the Great hotel a few months' ago. (Limnaria court, or something like that.) I was - and sort of still am - looking into getting an electric bike. Prices are not cheap. Around 2k. And as far as I could gather, the only reason you would "register" would be to get your warranty from the manufacturer. ) I should add - the guy there spoke excellent English.
Electric trikes are a different matter. Probably some legislation coming through.
P.s. Just having looked at the link provided by HiC - that's where I went.

Electric Bicycle Laws
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_bicycle_laws

EU directive, specially for Geoffreys at
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/ ... 24&from=EN

Article 1h reads
This Directive does not apply to the following vehicles:...

(h) cycles with pedal assistance which are equipped with an
auxiliary electric motor having a maximum continuous
rated power of 0,25 kW,
of which the output is
progressively reduced and finally cut off as the vehicle
reaches a speed of 25 km/h, or sooner, if the cyclist stops
pedalling,
nor to the components or technical units thereof unless they
are intended to be fitted to vehicles covered by this Directive.

So a small motor bicycle should be excluded, IMHO.
But - I haven't and don't intend to read all 44 pages )

Looking at the HiC link, I think all the bicycles say -
Motor:
Light weight high speed brushless rear hub motor 250W (EU norms)
Max speed:
25 km/h (EU norms)

I think this means that they all comply - i.e. you don't need any licence or anything. (0.25kW = 250W)
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

OhSusana wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:38 pm I went into a place across the road from Alexander the Great hotel a few months' ago. (Limnaria court, or something like that.) I was - and sort of still am - looking into getting an electric bike. Prices are not cheap. Around 2k. And as far as I could gather, the only reason you would "register" would be to get your warranty from the manufacturer. ) I should add - the guy there spoke excellent English.
Electric trikes are a different matter. Probably some legislation coming through.
P.s. Just having looked at the link provided by HiC - that's where I went.

Electric Bicycle Laws
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_bicycle_laws

EU directive, specially for Geoffreys at
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/ ... 24&from=EN

Article 1h reads
This Directive does not apply to the following vehicles:...

(h) cycles with pedal assistance which are equipped with an
auxiliary electric motor having a maximum continuous
rated power of 0,25 kW,
of which the output is
progressively reduced and finally cut off as the vehicle
reaches a speed of 25 km/h, or sooner, if the cyclist stops
pedalling,
nor to the components or technical units thereof unless they
are intended to be fitted to vehicles covered by this Directive.

So a small motor bicycle should be excluded, IMHO.
But - I haven't and don't intend to read all 44 pages )

Looking at the HiC link, I think all the bicycles say -
Motor:
Light weight high speed brushless rear hub motor 250W (EU norms)
Max speed:
25 km/h (EU norms)

I think this means that they all comply - i.e. you don't need any licence or anything. (0.25kW = 250W)
Brill, thank you very much. That lot gives me all I wanted to know.
Geoff.
Polemi Dave

Post by Polemi Dave »

Geoff
The easy answer here is that the Police won't care and certainly won't be mounting road checks. It remains quite impossible for them to enforce legislation relating to motor cycles, car tax, illegal use of heating diesel and so many other things. By the time they get round to electrically assisted bicycles you will be well over 200 years old. :D

However if you do buy one can you bring it here to Paphos for a road test on the Paphos to Polis highway. I would turn out to cheer you on. :D :D
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

We could sell tickets to see Geoff chugging up the B7. :)
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

EU EBike Law

What you need to know to stay on the right side of ebike law in the UK and Europe. This article summarises how recent changes in UK Law affect electric bikes.

https://www.juicybike.co.uk/uk-europe-ebike-law
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

galexinda wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:47 pm EU EBike Law

What you need to know to stay on the right side of ebike law in the UK and Europe. This article summarises how recent changes in UK Law affect electric bikes.

https://www.juicybike.co.uk/uk-europe-ebike-law
Thanks, most useful.
Still thinking about whether to buy one of these - if I do I may well have a buzz over to your side of the island and try out
on the Tomb of Kings Road/B7.
:lol:
Geoff.
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

I motorcycled in UK from 1967 till 2005 when I left- wouldn't chance it here, much as I'd love to because of the "driving" and the roads.
Mountain biking off road in the hills is great- as long as you don't get shot...
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

I have a full sized powabyke, and it is the best thing I have ever bought. Cannot ride it at the moment, due to my bipass operation, because if I fell off, it could cause me a lot of damage. It makes riding so much easier. Against the wind, or on a slight incline, it is like riding on the flat with no wind. Mine has two settings, pedal assist or full electric power. I always ride it on pedal assist, although on one occasion, when my pedal came loose, I had to ride it home on power only. As it was purchased before 2016, it is still legal. Some police forces use them.
I am thinking of getting a fold up one that I can put in the boot of the car. I have looked at the following website.
https://www.allseasonselectricbikes.co. ... tric-bikes Also powabyke do a folding one.

Geoff, it might be worth buying one in the UK and having it shipped over. Mine is a powabyke, have a look at their website. Mine is eight years old, and the battery is still as efficient as when new.

We are lucky in Wales to have a cycle track. From our house, I can ride to Rhyl, along the coast, around 20 miles, without having to go on the road. I would be wary of riding in Cyprus.
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

Anarita John wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:22 pm I have a full sized powabyke, and it is the best thing I have ever bought. Cannot ride it at the moment, due to my bipass operation, because if I fell off, it could cause me a lot of damage. It makes riding so much easier. Against the wind, or on a slight incline, it is like riding on the flat with no wind. Mine has two settings, pedal assist or full electric power. I always ride it on pedal assist, although on one occasion, when my pedal came loose, I had to ride it home on power only. As it was purchased before 2016, it is still legal. Some police forces use them.
I am thinking of getting a fold up one that I can put in the boot of the car. I have looked at the following website.
https://www.allseasonselectricbikes.co. ... tric-bikes Also powabyke do a folding one.

Geoff, it might be worth buying one in the UK and having it shipped over. Mine is a powabyke, have a look at their website. Mine is eight years old, and the battery is still as efficient as when new.

We are lucky in Wales to have a cycle track. From our house, I can ride to Rhyl, along the coast, around 20 miles, without having to go on the road. I would be wary of riding in Cyprus.
I has wondered about importing one from UK as here they are very expensive for what they are.
For Kingfisher - thanks too for your interesting post.
Cheers both,
Geoff.
Keith

Post by Keith »

About £600 in the U.K.
Emilly1

Post by Emilly1 »

Go for Japanese electric bike they are more cheaper and durable.
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

Thanks to both Keith & Emilly 1
Geoff.
Emilly1

Post by Emilly1 »

You are always welcome!! :)
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Please keep us all on PL up to date with your progress on this, geoffreys!

Thanks- AL :)
Gone but not forgotten...
smudger

Post by smudger »

Geoff if you ever decide to take up the challenge on this side of the island I promise I will be there, wherever it is, to cheer you on. Pretty sure you could raise a shed load of dosh for your favourite charity!

Failing that, enjoy your rides out when/if you get one!
silverfoks

Post by silverfoks »

http://www.proriderleisure.com/leisure/electric-bikes/

We bought a prorider for my wife who has spinal stenosis, metal hip, and soon metal knee !!!!
Her EWayfarer is a godsend, she loves it, £500 buy in UK, and bring it across on easy jet as luggage.
The prorider site has many types of bike folders , mountain, hybrid etc, all 36volt 1O amp hour Lithium batteries, with 250 watt hub drive front or rear, together with 7 speed gearing. > We did lots of research, and basically all bikes under £1500 are built in China, even then specs are high, butt welded alloy tubing, v brakes, or discs in some cases.and stainless fittings.
all up weight round 21 kgs, my wife who weighs 9 stone can get well over 60 km when using pedelec assist, as opposed to power only, and can cruise happily at around 15 mph.
In fact so good are they that i am going to get one.
Cornelia

Post by Cornelia »

We have already many years an electric bicycle in Holland. Even kids are buying them to go to school. Not cheap, prices from 1600 euro and a really good one 3000-4000 euro. We have in the Netherlands 22.000 km bicycle lanes, so during our holidays we are using our bicycles a lot. However, in Cyprus we are too afraid to go on a bicycle, as cardrivers are hardly taking notice and in Peyia there is only one separate bicycle lane to Agios Georgios, appr. 5 km. On the electric bicycles the max. speed is around 25 km, but your battery will be very fast empty when you are going full speed. The bicycles with a 40 km motor are not allowed on the bicycle lanes.

Cornelia