Anyone have an Amazon Alexa?

Everything to do with I.T, T.V, and telephony.
jagwheels

Anyone have an Amazon Alexa?

Post by jagwheels »

Had to visit my daughter today to fix a problem in her apartment but knowing she recently purchased an Alexa dad wanted to have a play. I was impressed by the sound quality from such a small item & also the speed it responded to voice commands. Requested various pieces of music to start & so it went on
jagwheels

Re: Anyone have an Amazon Alexa?

Post by jagwheels »

Lloyd I agree with you & despite being impressed with the device it is not on my wish list
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

There is a joke currently doing the rounds ...
A man told a joke to his family during dinner.
The wife laughed.
The son laughed.
The daughter laughed.
The kids' friends laughed.
Alexa laughed.

And of course, the best jokes all have a grain of truth to them ...
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

Nice one PW but the current price from Currys in the UK is £22 inc delivery so on Christmas day the family will be getting off their smart phones & talking to some bit of technology & someone might ask the question "why are we celebrating today" :(
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I have brought myself into the 21st century by buying a smartphone.. I can use my voice to ask Google various questions. But are they listening in to what I talk about all the time???
Trev..
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

They probably can Trev but in my case people tell me I talk rubbish most of the time so rubbish in means rubbish out :lol: but my original point was does technology stop you looking into peoples eyes :?:
Last edited by jagwheels on Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

"Walls have ears" - just remember that ;)

As posted on the Independent in April 2019 - unless you're subscribed or don't have an Ad-Blocker, you may not be able to read the article so I've copied and pasted below the link:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 65056.html
Amazon has admitted that employees listen to customer voice recordings from Echo and other Alexa-enabled smart speakers.

The online retail giant said its staff “reviewed” a sample of Alexa voice assistant conversations in order to improve speech recognition.

“This information helps us train our speech recognition and natural language understanding systems, so Alexa can better understand your requests, and ensure the service works well for everyone,” Amazon said in a statement.

“We have strict technical and operational safeguards, and have a zero tolerance policy for the abuse of our system. Employees do not have direct access to information that can identify the person or account as part of this workflow.”

Amazon does not explicitly state in its terms and conditions that humans review customer recordings, though its Alexa privacy settings offer users the chance to opt out of helping the firm “develop new features”.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
JimX

Post by JimX »

Probably with one of the other search engines that cannot get a look in.. :idea: Personally I love UTube, you usually can find the answer you need plus they show you how to do it.
Jim.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Lloyd, I just use the maps.me free app, works offline and you don't have to stand there looking like a prat while you talk to yourself.
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

If Alexa Was Cornish

Jim B

Post by Jim B »

We have an Alexa and it comes in handy occasionally and I don't worry about big brother either as I'm sure in this day and age everything anyone in authority wants to know about me knows it already.
When our niece flew in from Kazakhstan, Immigration at Larnaca told her where she was staying, my and my wife's names, our address, our ages, how long we had been living in Cyprus and also told her all the information about her plus the number of times she had visited. It's next to impossible to keep your head below the parapet so why bother trying.

Jim
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

I received one on Christmas day so have had time to play around. Verdict so far

Response very quick. Pretty good at spelling & very capable of interpreting unfamiliar words that occasionally crop up on Pathos Life :lol:
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Alexa does store all of your conversation.
However, there's also a way to erase it.
https://www.techlicious.com/blog/amazon ... to-delete/
hutch642

Post by hutch642 »

We have had an echo dot for a couple of years. We do not use it an awful lot but it was cheap. It’s handy for when you are watching something and you quickly want to find out how old someone is or who they are married to or what year the film came out. It just saves getting the phone out. Also you can just say “play mellow magic” and the sound quality through the small speaker is acceptable. I think I paid about £25 and think it’s a bargain. Sometimes the daughter might ask it to play say horror movie soundtracks and we’ll guess what film it was from and if we don’t know Alexa will tell us.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

WHY AMAZON KNOWS SO MUCH ABOUT YOU

Read this BBC Report
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/CLQYZENMBI/amazon-data