Water pumped from the sea to the land for Cyprus' high-rise buildings

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Water pumped from the sea to the land for Cyprus' high-rise buildings

Post by Paphos Life »

Over 13 million cubic metres of groundwater will be pumped out in Limassol alone between 2019 and 2022 for the coastal town's construction of high-rise buildings, according to a scientific study....

Read the article and chat about it below...
Kili01

Re: Water pumped from the sea to the land for Cyprus' high-rise buildings

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, badly written and confusing.
I hope that someone or some body will be able to set a precedent and challenge some of these part foreign financed planning applications for ugly high rise buildings which are springing up, particularly in Limassol, but Paphos is also in danger too.

Dee
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Kili01 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:00 pm Yes, badly written and confusing.
I hope that someone or some body will be able to set a precedent and challenge some of these part foreign financed planning applications for ugly high rise buildings which are springing up, particularly in Limassol, but Paphos is also in danger too.

Dee
Paphos is not in danger of high rise buildings as the airport is very close where available plots would be...

Max
June

Post by June »

Perhaps I'm mistaken but I thought there were plans to build high rise on the headland left of the harbour....or so Rightmove tells me...
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Here a video from the project with buildings not higher than 11 floors, showing also the peninsula....

Max
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

HIC,
I guess that beauty is in the eye of the beholder! I got used to high rise buildings while living in Hong Kong, but there land was at a premium. I don’t think that they improve the look of Limassol. Neither do quite a lot of people who live there. Imagine how you would feel if the view from your house/ apartment was obliterated by one of these monsters and you were forced to live in its shadow... or had to put up with all the noise of its construction and then an increase in the number of vehicles using the roads.

Also how will these high rise buildings stand up to a severe earthquake?

Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Some people always like to moan though, no matter what. Compared to the Brutalism of the 60s the buildings going up in LImassol now are works of art.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I understand developers are proposing building high rise apartment blocks in the field next to the Aloe Hotel.

Jim
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

HIC,
I take your point, regarding high rise buildings built in earthquake zones. But in most developed countries planning and building regs such as the UK, USA etc govt planning depts have the services of their own highly experienced chartered surveyors who will check these plans before they are passed. How many experienced chartered surveyers, mechanical, electrical or engineering etc does the Cyprus Govt or any of the Municipal boards in the main towns have?
When I asked that question a couple of years ago, I discovered that the only properly qualified and experienced surveyors then on island were working independently of Govt and therefore the Govt had to call one in should they decide it might be necessary. Which of course was an extra expense. I was quite surprised as at that time multi story blocks were beging to be built in parts of Pano Paphos.

I hope that these really tall buildings being built in Limassol and presumably eventually in parts of Paphos which are not in the flight path to/ from Paphos Airport are subject to proper licensed surveyors checking the plans first, before any construction starts. And also at set stages during the construction.

Dee
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:10 am
Kili01 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:25 amAlso how will these high rise buildings stand up to a severe earthquake? Dee

Do you suppose for one moment that the commisioning architects haven't thought that one through?

Have you ever queried the vulnerability of monumental skyscrapers in Los Angeles and the western seaboard USA, which is directly on a fault line?
So the architects responsible for the building collapses in Pissouri are blameless. We are all human & make mistakes but hopefully learn from them
WHL

Post by WHL »

It seems that some members on here dont have a good word to say about Cyprus, a while ago we were discussing some fairground attractions, and the same poster was suggesting they are not serviced properly, Police are rubbish, civil servants are rubbish, doctors ,hospitals are rubbish now it seems Cyprus architects / surveyors are two bob, .... it dont matter what we discuss, the moan and whinge R us brigade will poo poo it. Lets get back to the good old Cyprus days, where the Cypriots toiled in fields from morning to dusk, only stopping for a meal of bread and olives, then back home on the donkey, how quaint Cyprus was.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

jagwheels wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:30 pm
Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:10 am
Kili01 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:25 amAlso how will these high rise buildings stand up to a severe earthquake? Dee

Do you suppose for one moment that the commisioning architects haven't thought that one through?

Have you ever queried the vulnerability of monumental skyscrapers in Los Angeles and the western seaboard USA, which is directly on a fault line?
So the architects responsible for the building collapses in Pissouri are blameless. We are all human & make mistakes but hopefully learn from them
That's a hot potato and a a half. I think the problem there (and I may well be wrong) was due to excessive ground water which built up in the years following due to the powers that be not installing decent drainage in the appropriate areas.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I don't really know much about high rise buildings but I've seen our company drive piles for Fractionator Columns over 120 metres high and guess it's the same technology used. Our crews drove a 40ft pile down and then welded another on top and kept doing that until it met the friction criteria.
They only pumped out ground water when they were building say a control building and had to pour concrete below the water table which would be the same for any building, not just high rises.

Jim
boycott

Post by boycott »

There are at least two reputable ( I know a contradiction in terms) Limassol estate agents that will allege that a high number of the multi story blocks been built in Limassol do NOT have the required planning consents, but the builders have disregarded this little bit of paperwork and carried on building the flats.

I thought what a load of poppycock then I read how many hotels did not have the required licences AND I know of a number so called high class beach bars/cafes/restaurants and clubs that do not have the required licences but have the right influence of those that run Limassol!