Akrotiri and Larnaca Airport at risk of sinking

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

Akrotiri and Larnaca Airport at risk of sinking

Post by memory man »

A study by the Climate Central Organisation indicates the areas that will be covered by water over the next 20 – 80 years. In Great Britain, for example, parts of Liverpool and London are expected to disappear. In Cyprus, the biggest problem occurs in the Akrotiri area and also at Larnaca Airport, much of which is expected to be covered by water.

Climate Central’s study shows that vast areas of the world are very likely to be completely submerged within the next 80 years. Rising sea levels are attributed to climate change, which causes ice to melt.

Greece will not be left untouched either. A large section west of Thessaloniki will sink, as will the entire area where the ‘Macedonia’ Airport is located. In the study, we also see sections in Mesolongi, Nafpaktos, Arta and Kalamata below sea level.

Elsewhere, things are much, much worse, such as in Vietnam, which is expected to be completely off the map by 2050.

Dr Scott Kulp, a senior scientist at Climate Central and lead author of the study, said, however, that it is not too late to avoid this devastating and depressing scenario.

“These estimates show what climate change can do, so that we can revise certain things from now on and reshape cities, economies, coastlines and entire world regions during our lifetime. Now, not tomorrow. Soon nations will be called upon to face this problem,” he said.

The study found that, within three decades, chronic flooding could affect areas where a total of 300 million people live. The coastal parts of Asia are at high risk (such as Vietnam, mentioned above) and, by the end of the century, areas that could accommodate 200 million people could be permanently beneath the tide.

The study concludes: “Large and immediate cuts in global gas emissions would reduce the risk posed by rising seas. Such cuts will reduce the total number of people threatened by annual floods and permanent floods by the end of the century by 20 million compared to the moderate emissions cuts made under the Paris Agreement. ”

And he adds: “If governments seek to limit the future impacts of ocean flooding, they could also avoid new construction in areas with high flood risk, while protecting, relocating or even abandoning existing infrastructure. Rising sea levels are an inherent danger: Today’s communities must make choices not only for future generations, but for themselves as well.”

https://in-cyprus.com/akrotiri-and-larn ... f-sinking/
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: Akrotiri and Larnaca Airport at risk of sinking

Post by Devil »

Not sinking: sea level rising because of climate change.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

I’ve recently been reading about the disused mines in parts of the UK, one in particular stated that it was 160m above sea level but sea shells etc can still clearly be seen in the walls of the mines. Is there a simple explanation for this or when people say that sea levels are dangerously rising, all they are doing is claiming back the areas they had before they dropped?
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Overly dramatic statement.In fact as I have posted before the earth has already been through three ice ages when glaciers covered most of the northern hemisphere as well as both poles. Rivers froze or dried up and seas retreated, thus more land appeared where before there was water. In between them the earth went through centuries of hotter, even tropical weather. Animals had to adapt or became extinct.
Pre history backed up by geological discoveries shows evidence of all the above, plus all the animal and sometimes human bones recovered and carbon dated by archaeologists. The salt lake at Akrotiri was very much larger previously, and the area around it was sometimes covered by sea water, sometimes by marshes. All this happened milenia before man first appeared and also in neanderthal times. Long before any thoughts of global warming as early man made few demands on the eco system around him.Akrotiri military bases area is on higher ground and at times in history was an island. But it is rich with Archaeological remains, plus the bones of pigmy elephant were found in one of the caves there, also ancient graves, and remains of early habitation.
The point I’m making is that the earth has undergone dramatic changes in climate, so not everything can be put down to global warming alone!
Dee
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

This thread has nowt to do with geological ages or even what happened when man first inhabited Cyprus ~12-15,000 years ago. It's all about the sea level rising a) because more water is flowing into it from melting ice and b) the temperature of the water rising because of global warming, causing expansion of the volume. All this is due to happen this century, not in a geological age.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Devil, I know that you are considered an authority on many things, but how would you explain the fact that at the end of each of the ice ages somehow the ice in the glaciers somehow melted, and as a result a huge amount of water from the huge glaciers resulted. The result being a dramatic rise in sea levels? I am not saying that global warming now also has a big part to play by accelerating a process which may also be natural.
Dee
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Kili01 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:57 pm Devil, I know that you are considered an authority on many things, but how would you explain the fact that at the end of each of the ice ages somehow the ice in the glaciers somehow melted, and as a result a huge amount of water from the huge glaciers resulted. The result being a dramatic rise in sea levels? I am not saying that global warming now also has a big part to play by accelerating a process which may also be natural.
Dee
Its the same thing, only the quantity and time scales are different. When ice melts, you get water. In the case of, say, Greenland or mountain glaciers, freshwater flows into the sea increasing the volume and thus level. In Antarctica, the same happens most of the time, except for large ice floes. In much of the Arctic and in floes and bergs, the ice is largely floating and the volume doesn't change (try an ice cube in a glass of cold water; it doesn't overflow when the cube melts.)
jeba

Post by jeba »

Kili01 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:57 pmat the end of each of the ice ages somehow the ice in the glaciers somehow melted, and as a result a huge amount of water from the huge glaciers resulted. The result being a dramatic rise in sea levels?
Yes, that´s why Great Britain has been an island since the end of the last ice age. It wasn´t always like that - you could walk to what is now the continent.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

jeba wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:37 am you could walk to what is now the continent.
Not at my age, you couldn't! Takes me all my time and energy to walk to my car parked outside :lol: :lol:
jeba

Post by jeba »

Devil wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:40 pm
jeba wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:37 am you could walk to what is now the continent.
Not at my age, you couldn't! Takes me all my time and energy to walk to my car parked outside :lol: :lol:
But during the last ice age you´d have been 10000 years younger!