Ancient holy caves of Vasa Koilaniou

If you want to share your pictures or videos and keep them in one place, then post them here.

For pictures, max dimensions: 1024x1024. Max file size: 256K
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Ancient holy caves of Vasa Koilaniou

Post by cyprusmax47 »

After a one hour drive from Paphos, using the road next to the dam in the Dhiarizos valley, passing Trozena bridge, one will arrive at the nice village of Vasa Koilaniou. It is easier to find the Ancient holy caves of the village if you use the old road, as they are right at the beginning of Vasa, next to the small museum and cemetery. In this post I will only show the caves, but the village has much more interesting things to look, at a later time...

So this is the view from the road just 20 meters before you reach the church and the caves and where you have to park your car and continue walking..

Here the little church Apostle Varnavas, built recently, while the Apostle was living in the cave next to it in ancient times...

Inside modern church art

Just outside the church the path to the cave

hidden entrance

and here the entrance

more close

side view

I was leaving this cave and searching for the second cave just 100 m further the same track. It is the cave of Apostle Timonas which in Cyprus is honoured by the locals when they need help. There is also village story that during Ottoman rules pregnant women went here to give birth and hide in case the Turks would take their babies...

So here the entrance

This cave is much larger and contained five large ancient tombs

it confirms perhaps the story with the children..

center

nice swallow nest

side arch

and finally another photo from the outside of the cave where one can see strange formations, perhaps through erosion...

I must say visiting this area is really worth the time and the village is nice as well.

Max
CyprusSue

Re: Ancient holy caves of Vasa Koilaniou

Post by CyprusSue »

What a lovely little day trip Max...enjoyed looking at your photos. It was nearly one year ago! Think we'll take a drive up very soon, to have a look, and also have a wander around the village, as you say it's a very nice. The area is very beautiful, and has stunning views. Did you ever post any pics of village?
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

CyprusSue wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:41 pm What a lovely little day trip Max...enjoyed looking at your photos. It was nearly one year ago! Think we'll take a drive up very soon, to have a look, and also have a wander around the village, as you say it's a very nice. The area is very beautiful, and has stunning views. Did you ever post any pics of village?
Thanks for your nice comments Sue. You can see the village on the second picture of another post I produced of Vasa St.Georgios church....and a map to show the tour.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10971&p=108280&hili ... sa#p108280

Max
CyprusSue

Post by CyprusSue »

Many thanks Max....lovely photos again. I just love exploring old bridges and chapels with their frescoes.