Finally, we've had time to make some changes....

If you want to share your pictures or videos and keep them in one place, then post them here.

For pictures, max dimensions: 1024x1024. Max file size: 256K
LouiseCastricum

Re: Finally, we've had time to make some changes....

Post by LouiseCastricum »

I really enjoyed these lovely pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Louise :)
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Thanks Louise 😊

On Friday we had to take some documents into our bank in Blackpool and took a different walking route from the car park. We came across a little shop we hadn't seen before and ended up purchasing a two piece display unit in dark wood again with the top part having glass leading.

It's not a deep unit so it was destined for the front porch but it won't quite work where hubby wanted it placed.... It's currently in the dining area and plans now under construction to transforming it into our very own Gin Palace.

I will add the photos of how it looks just now while I work out which is the best way to proceed. I awoke this morning with an idea in my head but need to do a little research first....

Will add the "now" photos when I am back at my laptop. Here they are below:

In the shop, we got it for £25

Two pieces as we took it out of the car - that was a bit of a squash and at the time of buying it had no idea if it would fit into the car or not!

Don't think this is original detailing

Gin Palace, eventually.....
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
aphrodite

Post by aphrodite »

Time to get that sloe gin going to fill your cabinet and to be ready for Christmas. Yum! :D
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Looks terrific. Like the colours.😁
All things are possible
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

aphrodite wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:51 pm Time to get that sloe gin going to fill your cabinet and to be ready for Christmas. Yum! :D
Sadly, neither of us are a fan of the sloe gin - it's stuck right at the back of our current drinks cupboard.... but we did find a rather nice quince gin last week ;-)
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Lincoln wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:20 pm Looks terrific. Like the colours.😁
I take it we're talking about the blue bench seat rather than the dark wood display cabinet, Lincoln? Otherwise, you may be in for a surprise when we've finished playing around with that new piece of furniture :-)

We keep being told to start it up as a business but at the moment we're just enjoying seeing the difference in revamping what's no longer an "on trend" item. Much better to give something a new lease of life rather than just chuck it in the nearest skip.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Yes it was the bench😀. I did notice the GIN in the cabinet already lol.
All things are possible
aphrodite

Post by aphrodite »

PhotoLady wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:26 pm
aphrodite wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:51 pm Time to get that sloe gin going to fill your cabinet and to be ready for Christmas. Yum! :D
Sadly, neither of us are a fan of the sloe gin - it's stuck right at the back of our current drinks cupboard.... but we did find a rather nice quince gin last week ;-)
Depends if it is shop bought, already made, then it's yuk.........but to make it yourself, big difference. I used to go foraging for the sloes when I lived in Weybridge. It takes at least 3 months to mature. I also had a shed load of demijohns and beer brewing. :D
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

You're talking to a woman here with very little patience indeed.... I found it once upon a time, somewhere in my late 30s but it didn't last long ;-)
aphrodite

Post by aphrodite »

A shame, you are missing a treat. I have 2 x 2 litre kilner jars on the go using dried sloes I bought on Amazon, will be ready in time for Christmas. I have the patience!! Enjoy your quince gin :D
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

I've just started off a Blueberry Gin this lunchtime...... It's now hiding in the bottom of the cupboard where I can't see it. If I can't see it, it won't remind me it's there! I have the calendar on the wall to prompt me to do "stuff" with it instead ;-)
aphrodite

Post by aphrodite »

The blueberries sound interesting, I might try that.

An idea, if you haven't already thought about it, when you have decanted the gin, why not freeze the berries and enjoy gin infused blueberry ice cream. :D
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Ah, well there's the rub..... my other half just doesn't appreciate sweets, desserts etc - he says there's no need for that stuff when there's savoury to be had. Me on the other hand, would much prefer to start with the dessert and see if there's room for more afterwards ;-)

He's the one in charge of the kitchen too! Except when I get a bee in my bonnet about trying something :-D
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Update on our "Gin Palace" - it should be finished today....

I wanted a blue and silver theme for the cabinet although my husband thought I'd lost my marbles when I told him my plans. But, we finally found a paint we both liked and the transformation has been taking shape since last week.

All we have to do now is wait for the silver paint to dry where we had to repaint the brass screws on the detailing on the bottom cupboard doors and then we can put the leaded glass doors back on.

The waxing has been the most difficult part of the project....

Brass coloured metal decals:

Now in silver:

Changing from dark brown to navy blue:

The start of the waxing yesterday. We did the silver distressed look on the front edge of the shelves by finger painting it on with a dishcloth:

Leaded glass doors:

Decals screwed back on, had to paint the brass screws once refitted using cotton buds. We laid it on the floor for this part:

The final photo will come when it's fully completed and will be with my camera rather than my mobile phone. It's just so much more convenient to use my phone and I wouldn't want to be getting paint on my Nikon!
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Great pics again. Not sure I likw the blue though. never ever seen a blue cocktail cabinet. Ours is brown wood and polishes well. Will be interested to see the finished effect and then perhaps I may have a different oppinion.
All things are possible
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Thanks Lincoln :-) I've only got a phone shot so far - my camera is residing on top of the wardrobe after its' visit to Kendal yesterday....

The colour of the cabinet is actually a deep navy blue but my phone doesn't quite pick up the richness of the colour on indoor shots:

It does actually dry to the colour it shows on the paint tin (not the lid) in the image through the link below. It's from the Colour Courage range of paints by Lars Contzen and is a matt emulsion, which dries like chalk paint. We've then waxed it so it has a fine sheen:
http://www.larscontzen.de/colourcourage ... rf-46.html

In fact, we bought a bottle of Boodles last Saturday which more or less perfectly matches the colour scheme of the cabinet:

It's been an eagerly awaited project completion by my facebook followers who have been taking in the progress since we first brought it home exactly 4 weeks ago today :-) In between, we've been adding bits to the side yard and we had days out planned with friends, so the cabinet got put on hold for a while.

We've just got a couple of twiddly bits to sort out as well as perhaps looking for a little bit of moulding to put on the top arch and maybe some door knobs in the same theme for the glass doors. We will know it, if and when we see it..... but overall, we're very pleased with the effect we created.

Will be interesting to see how the kitchen all turns out when we get around to remodelling that...... but, the back garden is the next big project on the list!
JimX

Post by JimX »

Lovely pictures Jules apart from that real tide, it reminds very much of my old home in the UK ... :)

Oh and I think the blue cocktail cabinet is a winner for me...perfect, I do not drink but even the Gin looks good.
Last edited by JimX on Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

PhotoLady wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:04 am Thanks Lincoln :-) I've only got a phone shot so far - my camera is residing on top of the wardrobe after its' visit to Kendal yesterday....

The colour of the cabinet is actually a deep navy blue but my phone doesn't quite pick up the richness of the colour on indoor shots:

It does actually dry to the colour it shows on the paint tin (not the lid) in the image through the link below. It's from the Colour Courage range of paints by Lars Contzen and is a matt emulsion, which dries like chalk paint. We've then waxed it so it has a fine sheen:
http://www.larscontzen.de/colourcourage ... rf-46.html

In fact, we bought a bottle of Boodles last Saturday which more or less perfectly matches the colour scheme of the cabinet:

It's been an eagerly awaited project completion by my facebook followers who have been taking in the progress since we first brought it home exactly 4 weeks ago today :-) In between, we've been adding bits to the side yard and we had days out planned with friends, so the cabinet got put on hold for a while.

We've just got a couple of twiddly bits to sort out as well as perhaps looking for a little bit of moulding to put on the top arch and maybe some door knobs in the same theme for the glass doors. We will know it, if and when we see it..... but overall, we're very pleased with the effect we created.

Will be interesting to see how the kitchen all turns out when we get around to remodelling that...... but, the back garden is the next big project on the list!
Picky me I know...The doors are not aligned -me thinks. The colour is now growing on me. Well done you.
All things are possible
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

It's a very old piece of furniture which we picked up for £25 in a second hand shop. It has a few faults, only to be expected because of its age. The catch is broken on the top right of the glass door - that's one of the twiddly bits to fix as it also has a slight warp. A new catch will help to keep it in line....

We had no intention of doing a loving restoration job but the gin bottles are all being chosen now with the cabinet in mind. Our other wines and spirits will never appear in the top part of the cupboard 😉

Thanks for the approval of the colour Jim but I think for the foreseeable future we shall have no more competition with our respective tides 😉 😊
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

A few more photos now things have settled down in the front garden and the side yard:

These 2 photos are taken through the trellis by the front garden wall. We've added the trellis to the front of the house (painting is now finished), a new and very heavy planter with a couple of climbers and the final piece of furniture, the metal sage green garden bench arrived last week:

And here at the far end of the side yard is our latest addition of the pink sentry box and a few other bits and pieces:

Did you spot our little piece of Cyprus?

We now have a few weeks to enjoy it before havoc breaks loose again and the "boys" arrive to do all the big jobs. The summer house (I call it the Wendy house) will have to be moved into the bottom right corner on an angle, there's another shed at the opposite side of the back garden to be removed and a larger one put into place - but none of that can happen until we emptied them both - yep, everything will end up back into the conservatory which we've just got back now my sister-in-law and hubby have moved their stuff into their new apartment.

One day soon, we shall be free of belongings without homes to go to......

Meanwhile, we're looking forward to a couple of nights in Liverpool and a bit of Beatlemania to take our mind off the upcoming turmoil :-)