Exceptional Crystals from Konia area

If you want to share your pictures or videos and keep them in one place, then post them here.

For pictures, max dimensions: 1024x1024. Max file size: 256K
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Exceptional Crystals from Konia area

Post by Dominic »

This was from Polemi a few years ago. I had much younger feet in those days.
crystal.jpg
crystal.jpg (211.93 KiB) Viewed 2874 times
Once I have posted my blog on the tulip festival, I need to do a non Polemi blog lest I be accused of bias. However, after that I will do one on the crystal hills, as the cache referred to it. Meantime Max, I will send you a PM...
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Dominic wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:17 am This was from Polemi a few years ago. I had much younger feet in those days.
crystal.jpg
Once I have posted my blog on the tulip festival, I need to do a non Polemi blog lest I be accused of bias. However, after that I will do one on the crystal hills, as the cache referred to it. Meantime Max, I will send you a PM...
Dominic, please move it to Photo section...
Thank you
Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Ta
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:57 pm This is the most important rock known in Cyprus of twinned swallowtail crystals (3-4 m high) near Elediou towards Amargeti on the bit of the old road. Unfortunately people come with tools to knock pieces off. It is Selenite Gypsum (formed 6 mio years ago.)
After having seen this outcrop myself now (thank you!) I also now understand why you gave the very accurate age estimate of 6 million years.

It has to do with the isolation of the Mediterranean Sea from the Atlantic Ocean and the evaporation of Mediterranean sea water.

The deposition of the evaporites (gypsum and other minerals) started in the Upper Miocene (Messinian, 7 Ma).

The formation is called the Kalavasos Formation and is composed of gypsum and gypsiferous marls that cover extensive areas.

Gypsum occurs in four types: sugary (crystalline), laminated (‘marble’), selenite (transparent with large twin crystals) and alabastre (massive semitrasparent).

See: http://www.moa.gov.cy/moa/gsd/gsd.nsf/d ... enDocument

Re the Messinian salinity crisis (which occurred across the whole Med area):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messinian_salinity_crisis

Cyprus really is a geologist's treasure trove!

A.