James Webb Telescope

If you want to share your pictures or videos and keep them in one place, then post them here.

For pictures, max dimensions: 1024x1024. Max file size: 256K
Termites Dream

James Webb Telescope

Post by Termites Dream » Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:16 pm

Let's hope it works. A lot of effort has gone into it.

The Aquila

Re: James Webb Telescope

Post by The Aquila » Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:21 pm

Surely there are better things on this planet to spend the money on?

Devil

Post by Devil » Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:35 pm

As a scientist, I would state that the more we learn and understand the universe around us, the better. As a member of the race of humankind, I would agree with you more than 10,000% of the time and I do believe that the money could be better spent.

Happy in Cyprus

James Webb Telescope

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:08 pm

Good to see that the fraught unfolding process has gone so well, indeed, according to plan.

Can't wait to see what pics result; I believe it will be 6 months before we do so.

The Aquila wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:21 pm
Surely there are better things on this planet to spend the money on?

But if the money had not been spent on this telescope through this multi-nation collaboration, would it instead have been diverted to the causes you deem more important? Of course not.

The telescope reportedly cost around €8 billion. May I remind that your heroes in the UK spaffed £13.5 billion (€15 billion) on failed Test and Trace, to say nothing of the tens of billions spaffed on PPE equipment purchased through mates of mates.

James Webb seems a snip by comparison...and who knows how it will benefit mankind in the future and increase our knowledge of the universe.

Devil

Post by Devil » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:46 pm

Increase our knowledge of the universe? Maybe, but to what end, to what benefit? Benefit mankind in the future? Maybe, but doubtfully. Knowledge for knowledge's sake? Again, I question whether mankind will benefit from seeing a bit closer to the big bang. Mankind would benefit more and better by looking after the gas we breathe in and trying to bring it closer back to where it should be. You do realise, don't you, that we are in the process of reducing the pH of the world we live in? This may be very good for cosmetic manufacturers but what percentage of the world population regularly uses man-made cosmetics? But there are more people likely to benefit from cosmetics than from the knowledge that the universe may or may not contain forms of energy previously unknown to us, but resulting from the big bang zillions of years ago.

Happy in Cyprus

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:06 pm

Devil wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:46 pm
You do realise, don't you, that we are in the process of reducing the pH of the world we live in? This may be very good for cosmetic manufacturers but what percentage of the world population regularly uses man-made cosmetics?

I didn't know Devil, but I thank you for pointing this out. And you're quite right, wife doesn't need cometics - I've been telling her that for decades - but I'll take precipitative action forthwith and trim her housekeeping allowance accordingly. Good call!

Devil wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:46 pm
But there are more people likely to benefit from cosmetics than from the knowledge that the universe may or may not contain forms of energy previously unknown to us, but resulting from the big bang zillions of years ago.

Forms of energy previously unknown to us? On a planet desperately in need of more sustainable and less polluting energy, wouldn't it be good to know about these things? It is clear our friends in UFOs use forms of energy not known to us, but as they're not in a position to tell us more, we surely need to do our own research :?