Amazing Drone footage of erupting Iceland volcano

If you want to share links to your videos and keep them in one place, then post them here.
Happy in Cyprus

Amazing Drone footage of erupting Iceland volcano

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:49 am

(From The Verge): Last Friday, the Fagradalsfjall volcano near Iceland’s capital of Reykjavik began erupting for the first time in 800 years after the island nation was hit by thousands of small earthquakes. Thankfully, the eruption was small and has not put anyone in danger. Instead, it’s gifted the world with some awe-inspiring views of lava flowing from the ground.

The sight has been best captured by Icelandic drone pilot Bjorn Steinbekk, who took the straightforward approach of flying right through the eruption. We spotted the footage from Steinbekk (above) via Twitter, and it seems he flew several sorties through the airborne lava — a daring feat that makes us wonder how his drone survived the high temperatures.

Go Full Screen straight away.

Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Amazing Drone footage of erupting Iceland volcano

Post by Dominic » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:42 am

His drone probably didn't survive the high temperatures.

Amazingly, they can send back enough information for the handset to save the film in real time. So the drone could go on a suicide mission safe in the knowledge that the movie would still be intact.

You get a better quality film if you save to the drone's own storage, but I was surprised with my drone how good the handset storage is. I use it if I have come out and forgotten to put the drone's storage back in.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.

Happy in Cyprus

Re: Amazing Drone footage of erupting Iceland volcano

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:50 am

Dominic wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:42 am
His drone probably didn't survive the high temperatures.

That occurred to me too. He went right over the top of the volcano. The temp of molten lava is reported to be 700-1,250C, so the air above the volcano wouldn't be far below that. Enough to melt the plastic in a drone.